What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - chairmanmatt
I Have a 2000, 2.0 Vectra with a 135,000 miles on the clock. It was given to me by my brother a couple of months ago. He didn't use it for about 6 months due to having a company car. Now after having it for this time it often stalls when in stationary traffic. I notice it's about to happen as the idle drops from about 600 rpm (which I suspect is too low). The engine seems to make a 'whiney' noise on acceleration, although there is no problem with the performance. I'm not mechanically minded so will be taking it to the garage.
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - mickyh7
Idle Control Valve! £130 from Dealer £45 new from E-bay.Very common problem on Vectra's.Two bolts and one Electric connector-ten min. job! Have a look at a Vauxhall site search for 'How to'-good Luck!
Micky, Thanks for the help, at least I know where to start. Cheers.
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - Dynamic Dave

Info on how to clean the ICV here:-

tinyurl.com/ebbdo
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - stuartl
I had this problem on my old 2litre Carlton, cleaned it with carb cleaner!
Thankyou all for your assisstance, much appreciated.
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - sails north
the 'whiney' noise on acceleration maybe from cracks in the exhaust manifold, again a very common complaint on the 1.8 and 2.0 engines
A local garage suggested to use a carbon cleaner. If that doesn't work he's offered to replace the idle control valve for £60 (inc labour). Sounds too good to be true. I'll check the exhaust, but I know it was replaced before it' s MOT in MAy. Thanks
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>If that doesn't work he's offered to replace the idle control valve for £60 (inc labour).

Given that most aftermarket IACV units cost 60 - 90 quid that sounds like a good deal for parts & labour; only a 10 minute job to fit.
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - mickyh7
Thats to Joe Public! I got one off E-bay for £43-So they cant cost very much to the trade buyer-maybe £20-£30.Cash in hand job for fitting-nice £30 or £40 profit for 10 mins work? dont get me wrong.I'm not complaining £60 is a bargain!
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - Dynamic Dave
£60 is a bargain!

It is indeed. Autovaux (www.autovaux.co.uk) are usually cheaper for parts than Vauxhall themselves, but are dearer than that price.
Had the ICV replaced today. Cost £84, so a litlle more than the £60 I first posted. At least the car isn't stalling anymore. Mechanic seems to think that the noise I mentioned on first post is probably the Cat. Can wait for next MOT as fae as I'm concerned. Thanks again for the help.
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - bell boy
They are £70 plus vat at vauxhall with a "genuine" hologram on the box if you are in their trade club ,so that = £82.25 therefore you fitter made £1.75 all in
Bet that made his day and he went home early to spend his ill gotten in the pub ;-)
Looking at the bill, the ICV cost £65 ish, so I'm guessing it's not a vauxhall original. He's always busy so I think those pennies make a lot of pounds. Cheers
What's wrong with my Vectra engine? - Hamsafar
Don't these engines have problems with a split hose on the secondary air injection system causing a whining sound? Try some google searches for"split vectra secondary air injection" etc...
Very interesting Ashok. Will do. Thanks