Peugeot 206 - wally2006
Hi all

Can anyone tell me if there is an airbag sensor on the rear of a peugoet 206?

My son has been accused of damaging a parked car by running into it on his bicycle. The owner said he had hit it where the airbag sensor was and deactivated the airbag, so the car wouldn't start and he had to get the ECU (sp?) reset by Peugeot.

Would welcome any info on this.

Thanks
Peugeot 206 - autumnboy
As far as I can tell from the Haynes book for a 98/01 model, the control unit is under the Facia somewhere in the car. No mention of bumpers front or rear.

Unless he means the reversing distance sensors??
Peugeot 206 - robcars
has he had it assesed by a dealer or is it just the owners say so?

Ask him for the written report from the source of the information so you can deal with it accoedingly?
Peugeot 206 - robcars
Cant think why a sensor would be on the rear. Airbags are to stop you hurting yourself on steering wheel/column or windscreen etc? Rear shunt wouldn't be needing airbgs?
Peugeot 206 - wally2006
Thanks for replies.

That's what we thought!

What I can't understand is why he said about the airbag.

The dispute is over a dent and whether my son caused it, as far as I'm concerned. Trouble is, my son took a piece of plastic (as he decribed it - the bit from above the number plate) to the house and the woman said not to worry as that was falling off anyhow. Son is adament there was no other damage but there is now and this has all happened today, so seems likely he did cause it.

I just don't understand the airbag bit! It's making me wonder how trustworthy this bloke is. I've only got his word for anything and told him I'd do nothing without proper quotes - he's got two already, apparently, but he had work clothes on so not sure when he did that, and he didn't have anything in writing, even though one was supposedly from the main Peugeot dealer. He said he can't claim on his insurance as it will be at least £400, but his excess is more than that.

Hmm, anyone else dealt with something like this?

Peugeot 206 - robcars
just say you are not prepared to pay out unless you have 2 written quotes or if work is already completed, then a detailed bill with confirmation of work completed.

If he gives you the bill then just consult with the dealer and/or the garage where the bill came from.

i am not saying you should not pay for any damage your son has caused. Just pay for the damage he has caused and no more!
Peugeot 206 - bell boy
i would see him in court to be honest
Peugeot 206 - Hamsafar
It all sounds like they already had problems with the car and the husband is siezing this oppurtunity to get them fixed at your expense. There are no rear airbags yet. Airbag sensors don't get deactivated by a bicycle knocking the bumper! they measure very severe deceleration of the sensor (not the car) they are usually mounted far at the front of the car so that they can detect the crash before the car decellerates (before occupants gets thrown forward) If you look at a slow motion NCAP video, the airbags deploy when the plastic bumper has gone back about 6-8" and the car hasn't slowed down at all. These people are pulling a fast one I reckon.
Peugeot 206 - wally2006
I don't think we'll be paying for anything, unless he makes it official. It was an accident though, even if my son did cause it, so can't see what he can do really. Stupid thing is, I'd have come to some agreement if he hadn't tried pulling the wool over my eyes.

I'm going to let my husband speak to him next time as he's fuming, and has been since I came back and told him what this bloke said!

Thanks again for replies.
Peugeot 206 - George Porge
So your son has accidentally run into the chaps car on a bicycle and done all this damage? What damage is done to the bicycle? If it was my car he'd hit I would'nt expect him to pay, its not deliberate, its just life is'nt it. Hope your son's ok

2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
Peugeot 206 - wally2006
That's another thing I can't understand - my son and the bike are unharmed. Seems at odds with the supposed damage he caused.
Peugeot 206 - George Porge
I would have thought that the ignition would have had to be turned on at the time of the accident to have activated the airbag. Get his reg number and speak to the local dealer or ask the guy for a copy of the invoice to see exactly what work has been done.

2 Dirty VW diesels and a Honda with an 18 inch blade
Peugeot 206 - jc2
It is more likely to be the fuel pump trip which turns off the pump in a collision and can normally be reset by hand in the car.Instructions will be in the driver's manual.
Peugeot 206 - Peter D
He's clearly taking you for ride. !! Regards Peter
Peugeot 206 - LeePower
Most Peugeot 206s front airbag sensors are located under the front ashtray in the centre consul.

206s with side & curtain airbags have additional sensors located elsewhere but not near the rear bumper.

Anyway if the car was parked up & switched off the airbag sensor wont be powered up so hitting the car wont register a collision anyway.