Safety Tip - type's'
BR's I just popped round to see my mate and witnessed a horrible accident.
His son was in the car playing while he was washing it.
He popped round the back to fill his bucket and came back to see his lad crying with a serious & horrible burn to his fingers.
He had activated the cigarrete lighter and pulled it out as curious children do.

I have checked my cars and they will not activate the cigarette lighter without the key in - clearly his did.

Maybe yours do work without the key - so if you let kids play in the car while washing - please be careful.
Safety Tip - defender
while no one likes to see kiddies get hurt incidents like this are part of lifes learning ,they dont do it again and it might even have taught them to be a little cautious and actualy save them in other more dangerous situations
Safety Tip - Lud
Obviously age has something to do with it. Some children are too young to keep themselves out of trouble, so a car with a cigarette lighter that works when the car is turned off is a dangerous environment for them. Others are old enough to assimilate instructions, e.g. 'Don't touch the cigarette lighter.'

I agree with defender really. A few burns, scars and bullet holes are part of growing up.
Safety Tip - DavidHM
I did exactly the same thing when I was four. I recall the fuss my parents made but not the burn itself.

(Although I did burn my thumb on Friday night on a dish that had been heated under the grill - so I do sympathise and haven't forgotten that yet.)
Safety Tip - David Horn
I have a pink and shiny burn on my arm courtesy of a lack of care when lifting something out of the oven. On my car the setting of the cigarette lighters to work when the ignition is off is determined by fuse positions. However, if I had kids I'd probably have removed the cigarette lighter anyway.
Safety Tip - NowWheels
Warnings don't alays work, either: as a teenager, I remember a two-year-old child who was warned about the electric cooker, and promptly put his hand on the red-hot ring to see just how hot it was.

Best just to remove the lighter.
Safety Tip - defender
now wheels, bet he didn`t do it again though .
when I think back to some of our mishaps as kids it a wonder we ever survived
Safety Tip - Dalglish
when I think back to some of our mishaps as kids it a wonder we ever survived


how about these kids? did they survive?

photos1.blogger.com/blogger/561/81/1600/boyshavefu...g

Safety Tip - Big John
On my old Passat I did remove the lighter and fitted an insulated disk into the lighter socket just in case. My son (4 at the time) then found the lighter and worked out that the insulated disk needed to be removed for it to work before burning himself!
Safety Tip - David Horn
LMFAO! I wish I was as bright as your son when I was his age.
Safety Tip - wotspur
ouch !! this brings back painful memories,my parents had a Singer Vogue, I was about 4, my mum had taken the washing into the launderette and I did exactly the same thing - boy does it hurt, the wound should eventually go a funny yellow before eventually healing. Soon after my dad ceased smoking in the car and removed the lighter.
My son was about two and a half, me and my wife were talking to our neighbour, when he wanted to sit in the car, as lots of kids do. A while later he'd locked himself in but still playing happily. Next thing we knew he'd started the engine. Boy did I have to find my spare keys quickly. Fortunately it's a quiet road and he hadn't put it in gear.
Safety Tip - Hamsafar
Skin will grow back, upholstery won't! I know Vauxhalls are determined by fue positions as above, maybe others?
Safety Tip - Peter D
One of the guys in my old company was washing his car outside his house and his youngster was in the car playing as they do and a copper went past , spotted the young lad and cautioned the father for allowing an unlicenced, uninsured driver to be in the drivers seat. He actually received a written caution from the Chief Constable. Burn in a different way. Regards Peter
Safety Tip - stevied
HTGABTD?

: )

Safety Tip - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Saw a 10 yo in Tesco car park start up a Shogun while sitting in the drivers seat and parked next to me.
I demanded he desist or I'd call the fuzz. Granddad suddenly appears from behind me.
No violence ensued.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Safety Tip - deepwith
Son when aged 13 tested what would happen if you put cigar lighter on seat - very neat hole, very angry parents and removal of months paper round month to pay for new area of upholstery - oh yes, final indignity, no longer spared pain of trailing parents round supermarket!
Safety Tip - Chad.R
....the young lad and cautioned the father for allowing an unlicenced,
uninsured driver to be in the drivers seat.


Is this because it was on the public highway? i.e. would it have been different if it had been on their own drive?

One of my collegues broke several bones in his hand (metatarsal?) when he was washing the car with one of the doors ajar, agus t of wind blew it closed - unfortunately his hand was between the door jam at the time. OUCH!
Safety Tip - bell boy
after getting my car broken into on a few occasions i fitted upgraded locks in place of the factory ones,anyway i always used to leave the autochoke on on a cold morning before i set off to get the car warm,well one morning i had it running and the door locked itself i could see the temperature getting higher and higher (the plastic fan had been taken off to get the extra 2bhp out of the thing and replaced with a manual switched electric fan off a simca i think.
my brother had the answer to stalling the engine rather than breaking what was much thicker side glass in those days he stuck a potato up the exhaust and it worked (i think it was a king edward but could be wrong).

handy tip there for someone i think.....to keep in their toolbox?
Safety Tip - Andrew-T
"washing the car with one of the doors ajar"

When doing that I try to remember to shut the windows, as well as the doors ...
Safety Tip - Lud
But the illegal hoseflood still soaks the seats through the sunroof which you've forgotten to close.
Safety Tip - Dynamic Dave
Last car I had with a live cigarette lighter was an Allegro. Soon re-wired though after leaving the passenger seat folded forward (3 door car) onto the dash, which in turn pressed the cigarette lighter home into it's socket and proceeded to melt part of the dashboard as it was unable to pop out again until it had finished melting a large hole. Fortunately (or perhaps that should be unfortunately) I returned to the car before an inferno had started.

All my other cars (Vauxhalls) have had the lighters wired through the ignition. Much better idea.
Safety Tip - oldgit
>> ....>> One of my collegues broke several bones in his hand (metatarsal?)
when he was washing the car with one of the doors
ajar, agus t of wind blew it closed - unfortunately his
hand was between the door jam at the time. OUCH!


No! Metatarsals are in the foot - have you not heard of a Mr Rooney?

Metacarpals would be in the hand, I believe.
Safety Tip - Pugugly {P}
have you not heard of a Mr Rooney - Despite beig the fan of a particular type of film, I never knew that Mickey Rooney ever hurt his foot.
Anyway more of comfort tip, I dislike the dehydrating effect of air-con. Found that this was greatly reduced on a recent long journey recently by what must have been the effect of the dog's water bowl in the rear footwell.
 

Ask Honest John

Value my car