Models axed prematurely. - Sofa Spud
We've had therads on here about longest production runs and cars that lived on way past their obselescence.

How about cars that were axed prematurely by their makers and deserved a longer run.

My vote goes for the BMW Z3. Even now they look prettier than the Z4 and don't look dated.
Models axed prematurely. - PhilW
Xantia (still looks better than C5)
--
Phil
Models axed prematurely. - Citroënian {P}
Avantime
Lee -- There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1
Models axed prematurely. - Altea Ego
Yes! Aventime! A goddess killed off!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Models axed prematurely. - tack
Yes! Aventime! A goddess killed off!

I saw an Avantine being parked up by a beach in Brittany. It looked fantastic, and very improbable. I think the beautiful and chic looking woman who was doing the parking added the je ne sais quoi factor though
Models axed prematurely. - tack
by the way

www.avantime-gallery.org/

some excellent shots of the car in various location around the world
Models axed prematurely. - Avant
Ford Puma.

I suppose it didn't make enough money, but with a bit of lateral thinking (a concept unknown in the USA where such decisions are made) it could and should have been marketed more efffectively.

A great loss.
Models axed prematurely. - Pugugly {P}
They sold like hot cakes didn't they ?

I recall that they were axed due to the previous model Fiesta's floorplan going out of production. Cracking car.
I wonder if Land Rover had second thoughts about killing off the P38 Range Rover, since the Range Rover Sport looks quite similar!
Models axed prematurely. - mrmender
VW Corrado
Models axed prematurely. - jc2
The Puma was built on a Fiesta floorpan but then so is the Ka.
Models axed prematurely. - Hamsafar
Sinclair C5.
I'd buy one now if they were available.
There are so many cycle lanes now, the roads have been ruined by congestion creation measures and they would be cheaper to make - I'd like one for when the weather's nice just for a change.
your's for approx 1500 quid second hand.

www.sinclair-research.co.uk/c5/index.php

Let us know when you have one, I need to have a good laugh.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Models axed prematurely. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Would it be legal to use a C5 in a cycle lane? Safe but probably not legal plus the cyclists would be going faster than you and not be best pleased to find you there!
Models axed prematurely. - Happy Blue!
Whilst not a stellar seller, the original Corolla Verso with only five seats was killed off after less than two years I think, to make way for the more versatile 7 seater.
>>>Sinclair C5.
There are so many cycle lanes now, the roads have been ruined by congestion creation measures and they would be cheaper to make - I'd like one for when the weather's nice just for a change.<<<

Ah, but now there are some decent electrically assisted 'normal' bikes on the market. Hopefully they are allowed on cycle routes - as long as they can only do the same speeds as a normal bike.

I have been out on route 24 on the National Cycle Network today on my 100% human powered mountain bike - great - no traffic - only problem - I used the car to take bike to start of traffic-free route!!!
Models axed prematurely. - jase1
>>>Sinclair C5.
There are so many cycle lanes now, the roads have been
ruined by congestion creation measures and they would be cheaper to
make - I'd like one for when the weather's nice just
for a change.<<<
Ah, but now there are some decent electrically assisted 'normal' bikes
on the market. Hopefully they are allowed on cycle routes
- as long as they can only do the same speeds
as a normal bike.

Sinclair himself introduced the Zike some time ago, which was an add-on to a normal bike which charged itself when riding normally then provided assistance going up hills etc, a bit like the way a Toyota hybrid car works in some ways. To this day I can't really fathom why it didn't sell, it seemed to me like a great idea, and it wasn't too expensive either. Like so many of Sinclair's ideas, other companies are making a living out of innovations Sir Clive lost money on. Shame.
Models axed prematurely. - barchettaman
Quick review by someone who managed to fit one of the Sinclair bike assist jobbies:

.....I finally got round to buying new brakes for the BSA and successfully installed the device. Here are my observations:

8-10 mph, the speed at which the Zeta II propels you, is very slow.
The electric motor whines loudly enough to turn heads as you pass by.
The 'assistance' you get from the device is almost undetectable.
If you don't pedal, any slight head wind or incline causes the motor to go into overdrive, and the temperature cut-out mechanism switches the motor off within minutes. You then have to wait about 10 minutes before it starts working again.....

Sounds like another well thought out and developed contribution from Sir Clive to the British transport system!
Models axed prematurely. - Roberson
Citroen SM

A truly wonderful car. I'd love one if they were in right hand drive (and I had the money :-p), but a combination of factors had it pensioned off long before it should have been. The energy crisis and Peugeot takeover (possibly THE worst thing to happen to Citroen) spelt the end of the SM in 1975, after only 5 years and 12,920 units.
Models axed prematurely. - PhilW
R,
You might be right
forum.citroensmclub.de/bildupload/10_104.JPG
--
Phil
Models axed prematurely. - Pugugly {P}
Are you sure that it wasn't the October War (Yom Kippur) that signalled it's death knell, superb car and this C6 seems it natural succesor.
Models axed prematurely. - Xileno {P}
As well as the Avantime, there is the Vel Satis.
Models axed prematurely. - boxsterboy
Vel Satis only axed in the UK due to low sales. Facelifted and still on sale in Europe.
Models axed prematurely. - CJay{P}
My vote goes for the BMW Z3. Even now they
look prettier than the Z4

However, sales dwindled

>>and don't look dated.
In a girlie sort of way...
Models axed prematurely. - Lud
Does anyone remember the VW K70, the first water-cooled front-engined VW? It was a relation of the NSU RO80 which it resembled physically, but very soon disappeared and was replaced by the Passat which in its original form was grossly inferior to the K70 aesthetically and, I suspect, dynamically.

Drove one a bit in Accra, Ghana, in 1977. Not only was it in perfect tune for a non-military vehicle in West Africa and a very nice drive, despite what looked like two fat twin-choke sidedraught Dellortos or similar (might have been injected though, some throttle bodies look like that), but it had a supplementary horn. This was a sort of bell push hanging from behind the facia on two wires. When operated it played the opening bars of La Cucaracha very loudly with a device under the bonnet.
Models axed prematurely. - jc2
Musical air horn-still available.
Models axed prematurely. - mrmender
Ah yes the K70 also
Austin 3 litre
Rover 600 did'nt last long
MGC
Maybe we should start a post cars that SHOULD have been axed prematurely
That would have written off most of Austin Rover production
Models axed prematurely. - Falkirk Bairn
Smart

Coupe/Roadster & the 4 door Smart are being phased out now and will leave only the original Smart as the sole model
Models axed prematurely. - daveyjp
smart should concentrate on getting the fortwo back to what it orginally was and priced so people are once again interested.

BTW if you want a smart MB are doing some tempting deals at the mo.

Roadsters for £10k, cabrio fortwos for same price as coupes, less than 1% finance rate on PCP contracts. Forfour Brabus (177bhp) £199 a month for 36 months with £1500 deposit.
Models axed prematurely. - Tornadorot
Yes, the Rover 600 wasn't a bad car (being largely Honda), but BMW wanted to get rid of it after they took over, partly because of the Honda-sourced engines.
Models axed prematurely. - Roberson
The K70, yes that?s a good example Lud. Quite technically advanced from what I understand, initially developed by NSU and the refined further by VW when they bought out NSU. 21,000 units were made from '70-'75 but only 800 were imported into the UK. Volkswagen Audi Car magazine did an article on it some time ago, which is where most of this info comes from. Foreign examples breathed through a twin-choke attached to a long manifold for maximum ram effect.

Although not sold in the UK, the Leyland P76 from Australia was supposed to be a roaring success for BL in their foreign markets, but for a variety of reasons, the car was stopped after just 2 years.
Models axed prematurely. - barney100
Volvo 240 estate, it had a great run but many people lamented the demise of the brick.
Models axed prematurely. - type's'
I agree with mrmender above (see HJ - following your advice !) - it has to be the Corrado.
I would put Scirroco in there as well although I have read reports about a new one coming out.
On a slightly different theme to this - VW are bringing out a new Golf sooner than they originally planned because the current one is so expensive to make.
Models axed prematurely. - daveyK_UK
The rover 75 tourer (well it was young for a rover product)

great size boot - and good diesel or v6.

shame the back seat leg-room was a little tight for 6 foot+ blokes

saying that - its back soon - with a new bum!

www.austin-rover.co.uk/images/news0606_02.jpg
Models axed prematurely. - daveyK_UK
hang on - the chinese are giving the 75 a longer wheel base - lots of leg room in the back

if they can knock out diesel ones for £15 grand or under - ill be interested.

if being the big word.

lets hope they ditch rovers pricing policy since buying the firm.

Volvo 240 estate axed prematurely? It was positively senile by the time it shuffled off this earth.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Models axed prematurely. - Avant
Indeed - the 245 lasted from 1967 till about 1993, so maybe there's some hidden meaning in the word 'premature' that I've been missing....

If you wanted a brick the 940 / 945 carried on after that.
Models axed prematurely. - Lud
Not proper bricks them. Slick bricks.

But the 240 and 245... solid of course, but weren't they a bit senile to start with?

Perhaps that was just their drivers. Amazing how young some people are when overcome by senility.