Petrol, diesel and beer - cheddar
Having cut the grass I sat down last night to watch the France v Togo match with a couple of tins, this got me thinking.

Unleaded is around 95p a litre, I reckon the little Honda used around 20p worth to cut the lawns

Diesel is £1.00/ltr on which the Mondeo will take the family, I and a load of luggage perhaps 12.5 miles.

The 1664 was bought cheaply at Sainsburys, £16 for 24 440ml cans which works out at £1.51/ltr so the two cans I consumed cost me only £1.32, while they were most enjoyable they ultimately served to ensure that I fell asleep through Jonathon Woss.

Last weekend I was staying in a hotel where Bud was £3.50/pint or over £6.00/ltr. So I spent more on three pints a night than on diesel getting the family there and back, a 250 mile round trip.

Makes fuel seem fairly good value.
Petrol, diesel and beer - PhilW
"1664 was bought cheaply at Sainsburys, £16 for 24 440ml cans"
"Diesel is £1.00/ltr"

I'm sure that, with an extra can or 2 to make the maths a little more creative, you could justify going over to France, having a couple of nights in a hotel, couple of nice meals, fill your boot with 1664 (£5? a case), fill your tank with diesel (about 75p a litre)and you would come back with more money than you set off with!
Cheers!
--
Phil
Petrol, diesel and beer - Pugugly {P}
Supermarket beer may be cheaper but isn't the same as proper off licence bought beer. :-)
Petrol, diesel and beer - Hamsafar
Fuel IS good value before tax and duty (around 20p/litre) same goes for the alcohol!
Petrol, diesel and beer - Andrew-T
cheddar - it's nice to see someone else has made this comparison. If you pay pub prices, beer costs about 4 times as much as petrol/diesel. Since beer is made largely from water (which nature recycles for nothing), fuel which has to be dug up and refined at enormous expense looks like a bargain. Why don't we all whinge about beer prices?
Petrol, diesel and beer - Zippy123
Ah, I remember when a pound note was called a beer token. Sometimes you even got change!
Petrol, diesel and beer - PhilW
"Ah, I remember when a pound note was called a beer token. Sometimes you even got change"

In my youth you got 18/2d change from a pound!! (91p!!!! change), mind you you got change from a quid after buying 3 gallons of petrol!
--
Phil
Petrol, diesel and beer - quizman
I went on my holidays 2 weeks ago to Parga. Lovely place, but it rained alot and was cold, unlike the weather in England.

At Manchester Airport I decided to buy half a litre of Buxton water, it was priced at £1.49. So that is £2.98 per litre!

My wife just bought some milk which was 58p per litre. (she went in a Focus TDCI)

So we have got diesel at 96p/litre, beer at £1.51/litre, water at £2.98/litre and the best deal of all milk at 58p/litre.

Now you all know that farmers are being robbed!!

Petrol, diesel and beer - tyro
So we have got diesel at 96p/litre, beer at £1.51/litre, water
at £2.98/litre and the best deal of all milk at 58p/litre.
Now you all know that farmers are being robbed!!

Interesting.

Mind you, I know a place where you can get water for free. Yes, 0p/litre!

And for a small consideration, I'll share my secret with the rest of you. ;-)
I think I know what you mean, but I am on a meter.
Petrol, diesel and beer - Armitage Shanks {p}
The difference is that milk has no tax on it at all and the price of car fuel includes about 80% tax and the real price is about 20p/litre. Considering what has to be done to crude oil to turn it into something we can use, against what has to be done to milk, car fuel is a bargain. After tax it isn't a bargain!
Petrol, diesel and beer - barchettaman
Beer here starts at ?5 for 20 x 0.5l.
32p a pint?
Petrol, diesel and beer - Altea Ego
Best not mention the wine I am drinking tonight then.
15 quid for 70cl..........
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>>Considering what has to be done to crude oil to turn it into something we can use, against what has to be done to milk, car fuel is a bargain. After tax it isn't a bargain!<<<

Getting milk out of cows, which need milking twice a day and feeding 365 days a year, is not as easy as you may think. Milk also goes off, so you can't put it on a ship for transport in bulk.

My main point is the comparison with the price of bottled water and milk.

Fuel and beer always seems to be a similar price in different areas of the country, and oil and brewery shares always seem to do well.

Petrol, diesel and beer - mrmender
spot on there AS. My last job in UK 2 years ago we used to see the fuel bills for up to 25 to 30 thousand litres of red diesel ordered. It then varried between 15p and 25p per litre
Just occured to me my local filling station sells red diesel (for local authority special vehicles snow ploughs farmers etc)it is i think last time i looked 66p/litre
I must make more proffit on red than any other fuel
Petrol, diesel and beer - Galad
I got my license in 1973 and petrol prices went up by some 30% to 50pence a gallon with war in the Middle East; at the same time, the price of a pint of Carling Black Label in my Students Union bar rose by a whacking 4pence to 20pence. Suddenly, life was not worth living .........
Petrol, diesel and beer - Xileno {P}
We need fuel. We don't need beer.
Fool - speak for yourself....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Petrol, diesel and beer - Avant
Anyone old enough to remember Charringtons? They sold beer and oil, and if you taste the beer it was apparent that they were distributed in the same tankers. As others have said above, we can assume they made more money on the beer.

And coal.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >