Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Statistical outlier
Well, I?ve now done 14k miles in the Accord, so I thought I would share my impressions of it now it?s had time to settle down. Overall, I?m delighted with it, I look forward to driving it, it?s fast, comfortable, and vastly better at twisty back roads than I could have ever imagined.

The interior has shown no signs of deterioration so far ? there are no squeaks or rattles, and for me the seats are fabulous, although my girlfriend doesn?t get on with them so well. They seem to be sized around a taller person, and she finds that the passenger seat doesn?t offer the back support she?d like, and it doesn?t have all the adjustments of the drivers seat. Another minor niggle ? why electric seats without memory? I don?t understand.

The heating system is another niggle for GF. She hates having cold air blown on her. The dual zone climate is brilliant, as she can always have it set to 2-3 degrees hotter than me, but there is no easy way to get it just to blow the air out onto the window, her default setting in all cars. Doesn?t worry me at all, but again shows how cleverer isn?t always better.

On the move, the main impression is enough power for rapid progress to be completely effortless. There?s loads of torque from about 1500 RPM, and almost no turbo lag from about 2000. Coupled with long gearing, back roads need nothing more than an occasional change from third to fourth to make extremely fast progress.

The steering is very nicely weighted, with plenty of feedback and good feel, although with the 17? tyres this goes a bit toward tramlining. I don?t find it a problem but others have. Handling doesn?t appear to be electronically managed either ? it has ESP as standard, but the light has only ever come on twice, both times to correct offside wheel spin when pulling out on a wet road with quite a bit of lock.

Cruising is massively smooth, the ride is a fantastic compromise between limo and hot-hatch, and the handling remains completely solid when empty or fully loaded. Road noise is a little more than expected, but I think that?s the big wheels making a difference, and it?s certainly not annoying on most surfaces. The fantastic stereo tends to cover it anyway, although there is no aux input for an mp3 player, which is annoying. I believe I can have one fitted for £100 if I decide that the 6-disc changer is annoying me.

Brakes are powerful, but need more of a shove than my last car, which I?m still getting used to. Saying that, when I first drove the Xsara I nearly head-butted the steering wheel first time I touched the brakes, so this isn?t really a criticism. I did get a little brake-fade when slowing for a fifth successive roundabout when FULLY loaded, which I was a bit surprised by.

So far, so good. What I wish I?d known about when I bought it was how thirsty it is. Despite several false dawns, I still only get 40 mpg. The engine has loosened up nicely, power reserves are huge, and I don?t drive that gently (or particularly hard), but on cruise on long trips I?d expect more. Feedback from Honda is that this is what they?d expect, and a full check reveals everything is working as they think it should be. For such a large, powerful car, on the face of it 40 mpg is great. But buy a Passat or a Octavia, and you?ll be getting 55 on the motorway. That?s a big difference. Saying that, I got 38 on a long trip fully loaded with hilly sections on A roads and with 2 bikes on the roof, so it?s not particularly sensitive to how hard you drive it or other factors, which is good. On the same trip in my old Xsara I would expect a 30% drop in MPG with bikes and load. And it has now completely stopped burning oil, as predicted.

Honda dealers have been uniformly fantastic so far, whereas I never even got to drive a Passat as the VW dealers I tried were rude and ?couldn?t be bothered? (quote in one case).

So, fabulous car, absolutely love it, no complaints other than thirst.

Gord.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Greg R
That sounds really good. The accords I think are brilliant cars. Where are they built now?

40mpg sounds a little low, but taking into account it is a powerful car, it probably used a little more to take this into account.

Possibly once it is run in to 20,000 miles, it might use less fuel as the engine beds in. As long as it has been run in as suggested by the FAQ's posted here, I think it should be fine for many, many miles.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Andy P
I've just passed 35K in my '52 Type-S saloon, and I'd agree with all you say, although mine has developed a set of interior trim rattles from the window seals, the alarm sensor housing and the glovebox.

The 2.4 engine is superb and regularly delivers 34mpg on my (mainly) motorway journey back and to to work.

The MP3 input is something I've been contemplating, although my local dealer is a bit vague on whether it's possible or not (he doesn't seem to think so).
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Falkirk Bairn
Current Accords are Japanese for UK although they are built in USA as well.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - ablandy
i have had my 2.4 type s tourer for about 9 months and do agree it is a superb car. I do think that perhaps i would have been better off without the 17" wheels coupled with the sports suspension, but for such a huge car, it handles brilliantly.

In summary, it is everything that my previous car, Alfa 156 sportwagon selespeed was not!

Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - IanJohnson
Mine has done nearly 73k and is similarly well liked (hated by SWMBO as it is big, diesel and estate). It is averaging 50mpg with worst of 44.

Give Honda hell - our Fleet Manager got the ECU changed and his economy has improved considerably. was getting 40 and is now getting nearer to the 50 I get (his has done <10k so is not really run in yet!).
Ian, do you know where he got it changed? I'd like to talk to them, as the dealers I've spoken to deny any knowledge of anything that can be done..

Gord
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - v0n
A good friend of mine has plate Accord Sport diesel and I what I found strange and surprising was lack of fairly basic items onboard. For example - who would expect an 04 plate mid executive car with half leather alcantara trim and dual climate control to lack onboard computer - no mpg statistics, no mileage to empty, no speed or trip statistics. Nothing bar bog standard dual setting trip milage counter. Something that even very old Passats had. Penny pinching politics?
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - DP
no mpg statistics, no
mileage to empty, no speed or trip statistics. Nothing bar bog
standard dual setting trip milage counter. Something that even very old
Passats had. Penny pinching politics?
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]

If they only do 38-40 mpg, that might explain the omission. ;-)
I bit my tongue on that one! :)

I believe that one of the upgrades on the recent facelift was a trip computer. Along with a 6 speed box and a speed sensitive stereo.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - boxsterboy
Are you saying you only get 40 mpg on a run, or is that the average? If it's on a run, that is poor. Crumbs, my big heavy Mercedes E320CDI, fully-laden with climate control and Euro 4 particulate filter betters 40 on a run.
I seem to get about 40 pretty much whatever. The car spends 80%+ of it's time on the motorway, much of that on cruise at mid 70s with the climate control on auto. I have a suspicion it's still not really run in as a result of this easy life, in fact I almost make an effort to thrash it a bit (when it's warm) to counteract this.

Just to contradict this, I filled it up after half a tank yesterday, when it was nothing but motorway. Got 43 mpg. Don't think that's meaningful over that little fuel though (320 miles, 33 litres)

I'll keep you posted.
Gordon

Would be either Avondale Honda, Stratford Road, Shirley B90 4BQ or Brindley Honda in Summerhill Road, B1 3RH. Will ask him next time I see him.

May also be something to do with his position (Fleet Manager) but if they will do it for one customer . . . .

Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Quicksilver
My Accord tourer has covered 50k miles now, (service due next week). The mpg is average for a car that spends most of its life on quiet motorways; 45mpg in winter and 48mpg in summer. I have noticed Shell diesel makes it run smoother and slightly improves the mpg. Still would have expected nearer 50mpg from an efficient diesel.

The car still uses 2.5 litres of oil between services although it still seems to be improving at this late milage. Could it still be running in?

Overall a very good car with only the styling being questionable!

Q.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - PhilW
"a trip computer and a speed sensitive stereo."

You should have got a Berlingo!! Standard on the Desire model!!
More seriously - good review and interesting post - like the look of the Accord and have suggested it to wife for when she changes cars. (She gets the posh car - I get the "trip-to-the-tip-van"!!)
2.5 lires of oil between services sounds a lot. Is it normal? can't remember when I last had to top up our Citroen diesels.
--
Phil
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - type's'
Thanks for your input Gordon on this.
For me this type of post is excellent - it is a real life update on a car over a decent period of time - not just a couple of hundred miles and an article in a Car Mag.
I think we should see more of this type of posting.
I won't bother you all with my experience of our Accord as it has only done 4K but please update us ay 20K Gordon.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - lordy
Interseting reading Gord. I've had my Tourer for ten months now. I've posted previously about the ride. I have the 17" epsilon alloys, and it does tramline and has quite a hard ride. This doesn't bother me in the slightest; I can see however, that this would annoy some.

Interesting point about blowing the cold air onto the window. My model has the touch sensitive screen with sat nav, and you can choose where to blow the air using the screen controls.

I can think of only one thing I don't like about the car - fitting the children's seats in the back is a bloomin' nightmare. The seatbelt buckle is too recessed and needs to be on a piece of longer webbing. Trying to reach across and secure the belt is MIGHTY MIGHTY annoying!

--
let me be the last to let you down....
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Brit_in_Germany
I can think of only one thing I don't like about
the car - fitting the children's seats in the back is
a bloomin' nightmare. The seatbelt buckle is too recessed and needs
to be on a piece of longer webbing. Trying to reach
across and secure the belt is MIGHTY MIGHTY annoying!

Lordy - I second your comments about child seats - fixing two is difficult but possible (if you are a contortionist) and number three is next to impossible.

After 6k km, I'm averaging about 11l/100km with a 2.0 petrol tourer - somewhat high but probably due to the 200 km/h blast down the autobahn every evening!

BIG
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Happy Blue!
This is the very reason I refuse to drive regular saloons. I refuse to break my back stretching over buckling in children, so drive a Forester which is much easier and easier to get into.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Brit_in_Germany
Indeed! However, since the Honda is "my" car, suitability for strapping the kids in was not a high priority. When we travel as a family, we use the Avensis Verso where the little ones can quite easily buckle themselves in.

BIG
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - gnarly_toes
I have the Civic 2.2 iCTDi (same engine as the Accord I believe, though obviously a considerably smaller, lighter car) and so far its averaging 58.7 mpg according to the trip computer. Almost exclusively motorway journeys, though I do drive like an old lady :)

Its only done 2000 miles so far, so I cant wait to see how much better it gets when its bedded in...
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Roly93
Honda dealers have been uniformly fantastic so far, whereas I never
even got to drive a Passat as the VW dealers I
tried were rude and ?couldn?t be bothered? (quote in one case).

>>
As a VW/Audi fan myself, it never ceases to amaze me how uniform peoples experience of their dealers are, don't they know by now ??
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Andy P
Update on the aux input - I've found this which appears to allow any MP3 player to be connected to the head unit in the Accord:

www.nexxia.co.uk/iPod_MP3_Adaptors/honda.htm

Model: CTVHOX001

Fitting details here:

www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=72&mforum=sp...s

For £50 it doesn't sound bad. I've e-mailed Honda to see what they say about it, although I'll probably get one anyway.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - boxsterboy
Regarding fitting child seats, most buckles are recessed (to make the seat more comfortable), but it's the child seat that makes the difference.

Volvo make an excellent (i.e. thin base and narrow backrest) child seat for circa 18 months up which are a doddle to use, and don't have all the massive side bolsters, wings etc. most aftermarket seats have, which can make three abreast so difficult. The Volvo seat backrests also detach for when only a seat booster is needed as the kids grow. Can't remember it's name/model number.

Our kids prefer them to the Maxi-Cosi jobs in the wife's C8 (or is it my Merc. they prefer, or maybe my driving??) Highly recommended.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - ajsdoc
No problems with child seats in my Accord - isofix points, just slides in no problems. Buy an isofix seat you won't look back, much much better.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - paulvm
Thanks for all the information so far as I have just completed the first 2000 miles in my Accord Tourer diesel. I would endorse all the comments so far but would add that the 2006 model with sat nav has everything that you could ever want! Leather seats, computer, voice activation of many facilities and a fitted Bluetooth telephone system that will recognise up to 5 handsets. Getting an average of 40mpg like many others but still running it in with occasional blast now & again! Replaced Seat Alhambra 20VT with 1.8 turbo petrol which returned an average of 28mpg, but gave 100,000 miles of trouble free motoring. Tourer is so good for cruising, even the dog loves it! Plus upholstery in rear is dog hair friendly! It just rubs off, no need to even get the vacuum cleaner out - what a selling point!
You went for the Honda and not the Volvo then?
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - Bill Payer
...the 2006 model with sat nav has everything that you could
ever want! Leather seats...

Have they added a memory facility to the seats? The multi-way electric adjustment was great, but I shuddered at the thought of trying to return the seat to my position after wifey had driven it.
Isn't this the same with manual seats, anyway I don't have the problem as my wife won't drive mine!
1 - It is too big!
2 - It is diesel!
3 - It is an estate!
Yes, precisely the same, it just seems silly to have the weight and complications of electric seats when the main benefit it would allow, memory, isn't implemented.

I'm in the same position as you though - gf won't drive mine as it's too big, although she's going on the insurance for our holiday down to France.
Accord Diesel Tourer 14k report - paulvm
In reply to Gordon M, I went for the Accord Tourer over the Volvo V50 because of the extra space inside, the range of bits included with the price, and Honda reliability.
To Bill Payer, not quite everything is included as still no memory on the electric seats! Good point and one Honda should resolve.
I have also found that it is an anonymous car on the road, in that it does not instill rage, envy or any other response from other drivers. With the Alhambra other drivers saw it as an obstacle to be passed, and upset if it passed them! Now I can motor at my own pace, often being let out at junctions and rarely tailgated. Any one else found the same?
All rings a bell for me. Nice isn't it?