New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Jessica
Just had a quote from an authorized vauxhall service centre for a new cambelt on a '03 vauxhall combo 1700di, for parts and labour I was quoted £338.46

Does that sound reasonable - or am I being conned? Just a thought as I looked on ebay for cambelts and they didnt seem too expensive!

For new rear brakes I was quoted £153.88

Sounds a bit better.. but though i'd ask!!??

Thanks for your help

Ben

New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Chris S
The cambelt is probably about £30 - the rest is labour. It might be a good idea to get another quote from an independent.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Aprilia
This would be a job taking less than two hours - so the price looks a bit dear. Similarly if you are just having the rear pads replaced then your quote is high. I would think you could get the best part of 25-30% off those prices.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Dynamic Dave
The cambelt is probably about £30 - the rest is labour.

But a cambelt kit (comprising of belt tensioner and pulleys will be significantly dearer). It would be advisable to change everything rather than just the belt as it's not usually the belt in itself that fails, but everything else around it.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Jessica
ah good point, thats a word i missed - thanks for jogging my memory.. how much do you think a cam belt kit would cost?

The other thing is.. they said that its in really bad condition - so it's either them OR getting someone to tow me to a cheaper place??

Well thanks for your help - I'm going to do a quick phone around and see what rough prices smaller local garages can offer.

Ben
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - DP
Genuine belt kits are usually around the £70 to £80 mark. At least on our Fords anyway.

Quality aftermarket (Gates, SKF) nearer the £50 mark.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - GregSwain
That price is ridiculous!!!

Kit costs around £80, add in 2 or 3 hours labour @ £40/h and the most you should pay is £200.

I was recently quoted £180 to change the belt on a Pug205 diesel, which is a much trickier job as it involves taking one of the engine mountings off, which is located in the middle of the belt (French design!!). A decent independant should do the job for around £180-200 i would think.

Back brakes - about an hour's labour plus £25 for the shoes, so about £65-75 for that job.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - bell boy
i would eat my own head before i paid £335 i agree with greg who lives in the real world like i do.
That vauxhall approved garage is obviously approved to make too much dosh
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - Victorbox
My Dad's just come back from having his Y reg Astra 1.6 given its annual service at a Vauxhall main dealer with full cambelt kit fitted (40,000 miles) plus a £44 MOT for £290 all in.
New cambelt for Vauxhall combo £338.46?? - van man
my mate got a quote for having his cambelt done on his 51plate 1.7dti combo van £240 all in and apparently there is no mod on them like on most fords where you have a kit pulleys/tensioner to change,so its the belt for arond £30 then the rest is labour still a lot to pay an independant garage would/should give you the same gaurantee and a bit cheaper....