Airbag Theft - Nick Field
This might be of some interest. A friend of mine works for the post office and and his yard full of Transit vans was done over. Every van had only the drivers airbag stolen. The thieves gained access by 8< SNIP 8< publicising how the thieves got into the vehicles isn't the wisest of things to do, hence the deletion - DD
Airbag Theft - Wally Zebon
Keep an eye on eBay for them
Airbag Theft - Adam {P}
I meant to reply to this before but got distracted.

If how they got into the van is true, then it's a little worrying. I imagine the Tranny shares very similar systems to other Ford vehicles.
Airbag Theft - No FM2R
All sounds as little unlikely to me. That didn't sound like a likely way of getting in (and I think I've heard it mentioned and debunked before) and why would they nick just the airbag ? I know they can be sold but for more than a car stereo down the local pub ?

All just a little apocryphal, methinks.
Airbag Theft - Adam {P}
I'm not sure myself.

There is a market for airbags - quite why, I don't know but seemingly there is.

But as you say, doing "that method" to break in seems unlikely at best. However I've heard stranger things! Mondeos and Focuses can be broken into very easily without setting the alarm off.

Mind you, I haven't seen a single Royal Mail Transit van in the last 10 years - maybe up here they realised the flaw and got rid of them for the patently superior....

...LDV Pilot.

Ah.
Airbag Theft - David Horn
I volunteer Adam to test the technique on his Focus and report back. :)
Airbag Theft - Adam {P}
To anyone who saw what the method was, what would I actually damage? I'm more than willing to try it providing whatever I damage is very cheap!
Airbag Theft - Collos25
They sell like hot cakes in East Europe common theft in Germany must be moving west.They need the bags for all the crashed vehicles they buy all across Europe.
Airbag Theft - Nick Field
This is not urban legend - my friend drives for the Post Office and it was his yard, luckily they had Merc vans in the yard too, which were not touched. Also, the Post Office uses unmarked vans for many collections. The damage to the electrics meant that the vehicles had to be removed and they've not been returned since (3 weeks ago). I appreciate why this thread was censored, but you need to know which wires in the harness to short and if you're in the business of thieving air bags, you'll have a fence and know what to do anyway. I would have thought that a security weakness should be published so that people are aware and also the manufacturer could take some action.
Airbag Theft - wazza
i always tell family/friends to put a stoplock which covers half the steering wheel. airbag thefts has been around for quite a long time. if your airbag is deployed do u pay few hundred pounds to the dealers or a lot less to a breakers yard or a friend of a friend. i heard of people buying write off cars and repair them using stolen parts to order
Airbag Theft - Hamsafar
I suppose if your airbags are screwed on from behind with two philips screws you could swap them for security screws, but they would probably still break the window to find out.

Also, if people lock their steering, straight ahead, the screws or removal holes at the back will be covered by the binnacle.
Airbag Theft - Hamsafar
I'll add, make sure YOU lock the steering, if you leave it assuming it will lock for a thief, no, a thief can insert anything from a lollystick to the wrong key in the keyhole and this will prevent the steering locking if it isn't locked when they do it.
Airbag Theft - Pugugly {P}
Buy a very mean dog.
Airbag Theft - LeePower
Ford security has never been very good, Alarms with built in flaws & just look how easy the PATS system is to bypass.