Broadband access - Ian Cook
Sorry, MBM, this is only partly motoring related - but I would be grateful for feedback from any Backroomers who can advise on the issue.

As part of my annual review of TV/phone/Internet provision, I'm looking at the option of Broadband from Telewest cable TV. I assume it's a dedicated CAT 5 cable that connects onto a Network Interface Card, but my real concern is what speed it will really achieve.

Blueyonder (providers to Telewest) state that it will be 10 times faster than I dial up modem, but I've regularly suffered download speeds a lot less the maximum of my 56K modem, so the internet must be choked in places.

I currently rent a second phone line and pay for unlimited internet access, and the cost of Broadband is only £3 per month above this set-up. BTW, I don't play games etc. over the internet.

All contributions gratefully received.

Ian
Re: Broadband access - boost
Yes the cable modem plugs into a network card. You can share the connection too if you put 2 NIC's in the host machine.
It's easily 10x faster than a modem - a solid 60k/sec download is the norm from somewhere like microsoft. Have seen 80k from some sites.
Re: Broadband access - BobH
Sunday Times today states that BT are to make an announcement on Tuesday about prices for broadband being slashed.

BobH
Re: Broadband access - Tom Shaw
Sounds interesting, but does the cost include unmetered access?
Re: Broadband access - andrew smith
Broadband access is all unmetered.
From a connection point of view the cable modem with its ethernet connection is preferable to the USB modems supplied with ADSL connections..that said now self-install ADSL is available I don't suppose that anyone else will be stuck with the stingray usb modem from BT that I have.
I have friends using broadband cable from telewest and ntl and all of them seem very happy with all aspects of the connection. I have an ADSL line from Plusnet (avoid BT Openworld) and from a ISP point of view all has been perfect. I have my reservations about the supplied modem but seem to have achieved stability now with much tweaking of settings. I already have digital TV from NTL so when my ADSL lease runs out I will seriously consider dumping the line and going with the cable connection.
Re: Broadband access - Steve G
Freeserve have emailed me a promotional offer which costs £99 for the plug and play modem ,then £ 29.99 a month on a minimum 12 month contract. Sounds OK but i will wait for BT's announcement.
Re: Broadband access - Mark (Brazil)
If you can live with the cost, which in your case sounds like a minimal extra, then get the broadband.

Its faster, a lot, always. Whether it is 10 times faster depends on the day and where the bottle neck is, but it will be a lot faster.
Re: Broadband access - Sid
As you can probably see from the ip info above, i use broadband. It is fantastic, 512k connection 70-100kbps download speeds and no hassle.

£25 pcm from ntl but has to be bundled with telephone and tv, so all costs £40 (free line rental and basic digital tv channels) still works out cheaper than the bt package.

Sid
Re: Broadband access - markymarkn
Once you go to broadband you won't want to go back.

I'm well chuffed, but I do use it a lot. Its a question of how much you are going to use it.

M
Re: Broadband access - Ian Cook
Many thanks to all who responded. Money wise, the Telewest deal for Broadband is good, and I think the concensus of opinion in the Backroom is that it should be worth switching to.

Regards to all

Ian