American Diesel - mss1tw
Is the quality of diesel in the USA still terrible? Or is the 'diesel boom' leading to better quality?

I ask because VW diesels are the most popular there for cars (I think) so if they can run to hundreds of thousands of miles on what they sell there, our highly refined diesel should mean a very low stressed fuel system.
American Diesel - jc2
You can buy "truck" diesel or "car" diesel;there is a lot of difference in the price.
American Diesel - mss1tw
I didn't know that - cheers!
American Diesel - Hamsafar
They have just started selling ULSD this year.
American Diesel - Xileno {P}
The hard part will be convincing them to use it. One of the good points about high energy prices it that it may force people to think a bit more about conserving supplies. Unlikely, but then without optimism, where would we be?
American Diesel - Roly93
The hard part will be convincing them to use it. One
of the good points about high energy prices it that it
may force people to think a bit more about conserving supplies.

Agreed, and I think that US drivers are pannicking more than UK drivers about the fuel price increases of late, because the price of crude has a more direct on them due to less of ythe pump price being made up of tax as in the UK.
In Australia, petrol prices have risen 45% in a few years, and a lot of Aussies drive fairly large engined cars as well...
American Diesel - mss1tw
With modern engines, oils, and fuels, you will never convince they actually need these stupidly large engines.

Maybe back in the day, but not now.
American Diesel - Kevin
>With modern engines, oils, and fuels, you will never convince they actually need these stupidly large engines.

My "stupidly large" 5.7L Chevy averages the same MPG as my 3.2L Jag which averages the same as the 2.5L Porsche I owned a few years ago. 22 to 24mpg on essentially the same mix of mainly urban roads. American V8 engines have come a long way since they were catalytically castrated in the mid '70s.

Witness the Corvettes at Le Mans.

Kevin...

American Diesel - Cardew
Is the quality of diesel in the USA still terrible? Or
is the 'diesel boom' leading to better quality?
I ask because VW diesels are the most popular there for
cars (I think) so if they can run to hundreds of
thousands of miles on what they sell there, our highly refined
diesel should mean a very low stressed fuel system.

I spend quite a lot of time in the USA and I don't think I have seen a VW diesel - they are only fited to the Golf/Jetta/Beetle not the Passat and larger models.

There are still very few diesel cars and diesel is considerably more expensive than petrol.

The majority of cars are still automatics and this transmission robs a diesel of much of its advantages in economy.