Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhhh! - Flat in Fifth
So Brewpot thinks watching paint dry is more fun than driving a Veccy.

He should try getting the regulation minimum 3 insurance quotes on line.

Just spent 2 and a half hours on line to get 3 quotes each for annual travel insurance and car.

Sites crashing, several instances

please be informed this is a very secure site, so secure it don't flaming work!

Another keeps going round in circles, asking the same inane question.

Having finally succeeded to get sufficient comparisons.

Norwich Union thank you, nice quick reliable site and good prices, you will be getting my business, eyethangyew!
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - Sid
Both directline and tesco work fine for me. I know they are the same engines.

Sid
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - SuperSparks
Direct Line are brilliant, the rest are a bad joke!! And as for all this c@$p on the telly about the AA ringing round for you - yeah right, they came in at £950 last year when Direct Line were £610.
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - neil
Does anyone know why, when the AA and RAC are now both 'just another company' they still get away with pretending they're our friends?

Why are they the '4th emergency service' when I can get a pizza delivered three times quicker - and the bloke who delivers it would quite possibly make as much effort to start my car?

Why is 'Edmund King of the RAC Foundation' any more representative of our views than, say, Edmund Blackadder?

All of these people have our interests at heart to the very same extent as the policians of every persuasion - ie not at all unless it gives them unfettered access to our wallets.

Didn't someone mention the Stockholm (Copenhagen?) Agreement here recently ie 'discourage private car use by all means' - could this include 'congestion charging' ??!
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - Keithb
I have been to most, if not all of the Insurance Co. sites (i.e. I avoid brokers such as AA) and have never had problems except when sites are down. However, the design of sites and, hence, their usability varies tremendously.
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - BenC
I've found it still pays to ring up - especially when a company says whats your best quote - its amazing how many will match something thats upto 75 quid cheaper than your "best quote"
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - Tomo
BenC wrote:
>
> I've found it still pays to ring up - especially when a
> company says whats your best quote - its amazing how many
> will match something thats up to 75 quid cheaper than your
> "best quote"

They are of course, all making a loss (shoot down that pig, somebody).
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - KB
I would say it's better to ring rather than try to struggle with the internet. It's often an 0800 number so they're paying, and even if you don't always rate the telephone assistants as highly as you might like, they are still human and better than all the trouble that the websites seem to offer.

There's not too much most of us can do to influence our premium (apart from the obvious things) so ring round - see who offers what and get the best all round deal.

I wouldn't personally pay with a card over the net anyway - so you've got to ring or write so why not ring in the first place?

KB.
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - Mark (Brazil)
>>I wouldn't personally pay with a card over the net anyway - so you've got to ring or write so why not ring in the first place?

I`ve heard this a million times, not just from KB, and I wonder why not ?

Everytime you pay with a credit card in a restaurant, your card is taken out of your site at a time when most of your details can be known - including what you look like - (gives credit limit, bill study, etc clues).

And yet, nobody objects.

Your credit card number can be used incorrectly on the web in a number of ways -

The correct vendor bills you too much, or more than once - The electricity Board have done that to me by direct debit ! If the do, your credit card company will give you the money back.

The correct vendor releases or allows to escape, your data and someone else charges you something. Happened to me once with a rastaurant which through its carbons from the credit card voucher (remember those) out in its trash and someone picked them up. If it does happen, your credit card company will give you the money back.

Someone intercepts your transaction - yeah right. However, in the phenoiminally unlikely even that it happened - they then use your details. IF they do, your credit card company will give you the money back.

In the end, if you check your credit card bills before you pay them, where`s the issue ? There is certainly no higher or lower risk from the Internet as far as I can see.

Mark.
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - alvin booth
I renew off the internet and yes I think Mark is right in saying there's no more risk than using it on the forecourt or whatever. However internet fraud isn't confined to internet users only..last year on a programme regarding this there was a welsh farmer who was having money deducted by a South American scam team in very small amounts for sex internet programmes. He didn't have a computer. They were doing this on thousands of cards and no Police force were interested and the credit card companies were not unduly concerned due to the small amount.
However Ben's point about still ringing is valid. Last year my renewal from my insurer was too high. Gave them a ring to say "thanks but no thanks" and it was reduced down similar to Ben's and "you should have rang me before.. they do get it wrong"
alvin
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - KB
Prompt reply Mark, so quick(ish) response.....I, of course, have heard the argument that you put as many times as you have heard mine. My way of seeing it is - realistically, you've got to trust someone, and so I use my bank for all the usual direct debits, cheques, BACS payments etc. - same as anyone else. I'm generally careful and sensible who I hand my credit card to and who I give it's details to over the phone. I'm aware of the protection afforded me by the C/C Company. I'm aware that people who I give details to may abuse them, but, as I say, you've got to draw the line somewhere.

I have an up to date virus programme installed, but am not clever enough to know that it will protect my system fully against gremlins and marauding interlopers.
What worries me, personally, is that my mastery over my computer isn't without bound and I've had previous problems (like most people) with bugs and breakdowns and heard a few horror stories about Trojan Horses and the like. Because I don't feel 100% confident that I could deal quickly and efficiently with an on-line hiccup, I prefer to limit the chances of a confidential mis-hap to those non computer related ones that I feel happy I could sort out. Therefore I have nothing on my hard-disk that is essential or irreplacable or confidential. Others do and are happy with that and I respect that - but it's not for me. And maybe it's a coincidence, but I seem to know quite a few others who feel the same about the card and bank details for the same reason. Maybe it's because I'm fairly new to computers and a bit set in my ways, or maybe it's because I consider that these things have brains and personalities, and I don't want to risk upsetting mine too much.

Hope this goes some way towards explaining my thoughts?

Incidentally, it is this line of thinking that causes me not to over advertise my email address here and elswhere and similarly my ex-directory status re. the 'phone and the Mail Preference Society re. the receipt of junk mail.
I know it displays a certain absence of 'good faith' here, but as it happens, Martyn (BRM) has my details and I have posted them here in the past if requested. What it does mean on a practical note though is that I'm not troubled by calls, messages and post that I might prefer not to receive, and that's the way I like it. What I do think is a good idea is that of the forthcoming registration, so that MBRM has an idea of who's who.

Regards,

KB
Re: Getting an online insurance quote arrrrgggghhh - phil ireland
After you have struggled to make sense of online quotes from ropey web sites and inane answers from dodgy call centres I suggest you try www.cis.co.uk Here you will find IMHO (and usual disclaimers) a well designed site which will send you a real quotation by email. Their prices are unbeatable. Its a mutual company, service is 100%. It helps if you also have their buildings & contents insurance (also cheapest possible to buy in uk) Personally have 55yrs no claim record but my daughter now 35 had occasion to make a claim last year for damage to her Clio (self inflicted) which was handled very well, speedily and with no aggro. If you've tangled with the Gatsos dont bother to ask.

Belated birthday wishes to Mark & family. Been away for a few days.

Bfn Phil