New Range Rover Diesel - RogerL
My mate has a new Range Rover 3.0 diesel auto on long term evaluation. We went out for the day and not once did it sound like a diesel, so well done BMW. It reminded me of the growl from the Vauxhall Senator's straight six. Given that it weighs about 2 tons, has four-wheel drive, a slush box and a diesel, it accelerated quite briskly. I don't suppose the fuel consumption is that good though.
Re: New Range Rover Diesel - Ian Cook
Roger

They've moved the RR seriously upmarket. Reading the first review in Diesel Car was very impressive, but - you can't buy one for less than £50,000 and you'll need to park it in the lorry park, if they've made it as big as it's reported.

Ian
Re: New Range Rover Diesel - Dave N
It's the new one with the 3.0 litre straight six.

Straight six diesels have always been quieter and smoother than 4 & 5 cylinder engines, and they are now better at soundproofing as well. This is what contributes much to the quietness. They have things like automatically closing blinds in front of the radiator when cold, for instance. Plus they go better as well, as they are now getting to the stage where you have a decent sized engine, instead of trying to get away with small 2.5l engines in big vehicles.

Get a US 4X4 diesel, and you get a 6 litre or more straight six or V8, some turbo'd, some not. Then you end up with a good like for like comparison with a big petrol engine.
Re: New Range Rover Diesel - Andy Bairsto
Is this the new new RR or the old Model
Re: New Range Rover Diesel - RogerL
Yes, it was the new, new Range Rover. My mate will be at one of the launch presentations next week in Italy. Although it's very spacious inside, it doesn't seem too big compared the the outgoing model.

Oh, yes, please don't abbreviate Range Rover to RR; this belongs to Rolls-Royce and always has.