vw passat tdi, oil change problems - mikemate
Hi can anyone help me i own a vw passat tdi year 2000, problem is i have never had a car before i cant service myself i always do all my own brakes, services etc.
Does anyone know what oil i can use in my car the vw recomended oils are to expensive, i am aware this model is a long life service vehicle, but do not do very high mileages so would be willing to change my oil once or twice within a 12 month period so buying long life oil will not serve me any perpose.
can i purchase oils for this vehicle from regular motor accessories shop or do i have to go to my local dealer.
Any help would be most appreciated.
Cheers mikemate
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - robcars
go to any good motor factor or even good accessory shop and they will provide you with correct quality oil at much better price. Take your Vw handbook with you if you want so they can prove the spec is the same to you.

Longlife oil imo is a poor substitute for regular oil changes. The worst thing you can do with any engine is leave an oil change too long.

If you still got problems after visiting shops/factors post back.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - Hamsafar
505.00 for fixed interval and 505.01 for longlife (variable).
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - Alec
You need to know if you have a PD engine or not, then using this chart :
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129311
find the VW oil spec needed for your engine.
50X oils are fairly commonly available.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - nortones2
"505.00 for fixed interval and 505.01 for longlife (variable)." Fraid that's wrong! For the pre PD, 505.00 is he one. For the PD, it has to be 505.01 for the fixed, or 506.01 for the variable. Or use 507. Alles klaar?
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - JohnM{P}
I've found that prices charged for oil from VW dealers varies. My dealer is very competitive (for Castrol or VW Quantum), whereas the one near my office is much more expensive... As ever, shop around!
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - ianden
Yes, I found our dealer (Bletchley, MK) charged very low prices for the Quantum oil although that one was not semi or fully synthetic but was the one they said they always used when servicing. I never use anything less than semi-synthetic so I got the semi-synthetic version which was still cheap at £14. Castrol Magnatex for diesels is also specified for this model, 505.00 or 505.01.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - GregSwain
According to the Castrol website, for the non-PD engine you need 4.3 litres of Magnatec (semi-synth) 10w40. For the PD you need 4 litres of Edge (fully-synth) 5w40. Hope this helps.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - Collos25
You do not need, Castrol want you to have.Comma oils in the UK which are identical are half the price for the same spec.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - GregSwain
I also never use Castrol oil, but I think their website is useful for determining the correct grade and quantity of oil to use.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - quizman
I have always used Castrol oils in my cars, tractors and combines. I have never had any troubles with engines in them.

You get what you pay for.
vw passat tdi, oil change problems - robcars
Yep you get what you pay for.

The qulaity of the oil is determined by the quality spec not the label with the name thats advertised most!

Don't worry about brand, look for the quality you need. If unsure how to sort it just go to your local motor factor or car shop and give them the info from your handbook and they will provide.