High mileage Mondeo - Xileno {P}
2001 Y Mondeo 2.0 Ghia 143K miles £1495 (dealer)

It's on Autotrader.

Do you think this is a good buy, or a big risk? Fords seem to be quite reliable and cheap to fix, aren't they?

What do you think?

(This car is not for me BTW)
High mileage Mondeo - daveyK_UK
Get him to throw in a small warranty - and go for it

mondeo parts are cheap and relativly easy to fix

engine is good for another 50k without any major work

just make sure it has full service history

and dont forget - any car over 100k - oil change every 5k
High mileage Mondeo - Greg R
I understand that the 2.0 petrol mondeo has one of the best engines.

Look at the car breakdown on the left and you will be able to see potential problems.

I think personally, it needs to have a full service history and evidence of being driven with care at this mileage. Things like make of tyres, condition etc are important. Check for engine noise etc.

In any case, this is a bit of a risky car to go for, but at the right price and has a car to potter around, I think its up to the job. Just to scrap when problems arise.

High mileage Mondeo - Collos25
Clutches are normally the downfall it can cost much more than the cars worth.So if the clutch is ok and it starts and stops go for it.
High mileage Mondeo - local yokel
Any chance of the buyer being able to check through the history of the car - not just the stamps, but the invoices?
High mileage Mondeo - carl233
It would be reasonable to consider the following failures are possibilities:

As already stated the clutch (the subframe has to be dropped in order to replace, not a DIY job!)
CV joint issues, easy to fix but the parts are not cheap.
Subframe bushes
Duratec has mechanical tappets may need to be adjusted.
Steering rack may be worn check for free play (replacements are very expensive)

It is really only worth buying with a full dealer history, if the vehicle has not been run on 5w30 oil then I would not consider. There are many differences of opinion with the Duratec units. Without causing a debate on the subject I am of the opinion that they are not as long lasting as the former Zetec-E units.
High mileage Mondeo - commerdriver
X the oter thing to bear in mind is the condition of the driver's seat. That sort of mileage could well mean a very worn driver's seat which may not be too good for your comfort driving it.
High mileage Mondeo - bell boy
i wouldnt want it.........
High mileage Mondeo - Bagpuss
About 7 years ago I needed a stop gap car and bought a 3 year old Mondeo 1.8 GLX with 125K miles on the clock from a private seller . The car had a full Ford service history and drove very well on its recently replaced suspension bushes though the stone chips at the front made it look like it had acne. I ended up keeping it for 18 months and clocked up a further 25K miles. In that time I replaced all 4 tyres, brake discs and passenger door lock and had it serviced twice. I thought it cheap motoring, though as with any car these days if something major had gone wrong, it probably would have been beyond economic repair.
High mileage Mondeo - DP
Two in our family - one with 115k the other with 180k. Both still reliable and drive well.
High mileage Mondeo - MichaelR
Generally, high mileage Mondeos are very reliable. My now 137k 2.0 Ghia X is a fantastic car.

However, having found the car in question...

'Engine Requires Attention ie Bottom End Hence Price. Sold on Trade Terms. £1,495. '

Sounds like a dog.

This is Mk2 Mondeo money, not Mk3.
High mileage Mondeo - DavidHM
Basically an engine swap. Minimum of £2k all in for the car and zero chance of getting any other problems fixed.

Depends how much you like fiddling with the oily bits.
High mileage Mondeo - Xileno {P}
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to leave this one alone, sounds a bit too much of a gamble. There will always be another one.