Environment v power - damagedgoods
I've got a £10k budget and partner who doesn't want me to burn the environment too much. I want a drivers' car with good handling, oomph and space for four adults. Not too worried about image. Can anyone help? I'm vaguely thinking about a Volvo S60 or S80 D5. I'll keep it for quite a few years.
Environment v power - BB
I've just bought a S60 T5. Nice car, very quick and comfortable. Not too much room in the back, but adequate. HJ's CBC breakdown gives a good idea of what to look for but one thing that is missed off the list is the problems with the ETM (Electronic throttle module.) They are Italian made ETM's on pre 2003 cars and tend to suffer from blips or complete failure. New one costs £600 including fitting from Volvo, although they can be cleaned out or exchanged for a lot less £££.

Big issues with ETM's failing at speed on the motorway forcing it into limp home mode (40mph) but the latest software update should stop this happening.

Also some problems with auto transmission so prob best to get a manual.

I bought a 2002 T5 which has the problematic ETM, but I was willing to take the chance with the ETM. Extremely happy with the spec on the T5. (Eleccy memory leather seats, cruise, 5.1 stereo, phone etc)

For £10k you should be able to get a cracker of a S60, mine cost £8k from a Volvo dealer 4 weeks ago. Good handling, v v v quick and extremely comfortable.
Environment v power - patently
Big issues with ETM's failing at speed on the motorway forcing
it into limp home mode (40mph) but the latest software update
should stop this happening.

Most of the Volvo drivers I see on the motorway wouldn't notice if that happened ;-D
Environment v power - BB
Sorry, just re-read you were after a D5. No problems with ETM on D5, but they do have a problem with injectors.

Patently, very funny :)
Environment v power - IanJohnson
My father has had a D5 since it was introduced - a few minor niggles but nothing significant. Would not descrive it as a "drivers car" nor as kind to the environment (35-40 mpg).

What are the early Accord diesels going for - very low emissions, 50 mpg possible, nice handling, carries four adults in comfort, execs very well specced.
Environment v power - Rodger
After months of searching i bought an S60 2.0T. I tried 4 different cars over different routes as i felt the handling was the weakest part of the car. The s60 ticked most boxes on my list and for me seemed the best buy. If you really want a drivers car make sure you take the s60 in any spec for a long drive and make sure you can live with it. I could never describe it as a drivers car. On 17 inch wheels it is very poor over pot holes and on twisty pot holed roads it does not feel happy at all!
So find some horrid gnarled surface with a few bends and see if you can live with it.
On the good side it has a fabulous interior spec, seats made in heaven, feels like it is hewn from granite, has Volvo safety as standard, seems to be touble freee over a long period, looses half its value in first year so is a good used buy if you plan to keep it, on a smooth motorway it is a quiet relaxing cruiser and even in 2.o form will zoom away with a bit of right foot. I got an auto and the engine /box combo is very good. I am happy as it suits my motoring needs but take care.......
Environment v power - Altea Ego
Volvo Safety?

Now what is Volvo Safety apart from good advertising? What makes it different from the rather better renault safety?

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >