BMWs - adam f
I used to have 2 BMWs. 1 being a 4dr 316i and a 318is coupe.
the 316 was very underpowered and the 318is did have a bit of poke. i now drive a golf cos i had to sell the 318 to release some money, but i miss the BMWs and want one back.
I'll have around £1900 to spend and was undecided between a coupe and a compact. never used to like the compacts but they have grown on me a bit.
What do you guys think and especially what to look out for. i know the basics to look out for as i have had a couple,and by reading the car breakdown bit.
Is my price realistic?
BMWs - Nsar
I've just sold a 316i compact R plate, FSH, 2 prev owners, above average spec 118,000 mile on E-bay for £1600.
BMWs - MichaelR
I really don't think you are going to get anything more than a very old or scabby poverty spec car for this sort of money.

A decent BMW costs decent money.
BMWs - MichaelR
Also remember that despite its appearance, the E36 Compact is a VERY dated car. It has an E30 rear suspension setup and I believe but cannot quite remember an E30 based interior as well.

It's dated, it's tired, its old.

Get yourself a decent budget or swallow your pride and stick with mainstream marques - although if its kudos you are after old BMW's are negative in that regard.