Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Rumfitt
A friend is offering for sale his Renault Grand Espace and I'm not sure what a fair offer would be because of the miles...

Here's the spec:

2003 '03' Grand Espace 2.2 dCi 'Expression'
Metallic paint, 69,000 miles, FRSH, good condition (not mint)

He's offering to put new tyres on it, get the 72,000 miles 'big' service done, and MOT it before sale in August.

He's wanting to start negotiations at £12,000, so what do backroomers think is a fair offer? Any other buying advice appreciated.

Many thanks!
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Collos25
Stay away stay away stay away.Look at the threads on this site regarding this model,2k for clutch ,dashboard out for a clutch master cylinder,engines disintegrate,heads fail,overheating problems,cam belt problems,cam problems,oil pump problems,electrical problems, not even the agents can sort them out.Your friends getting rid of it because he knows its about to cost him his live savings if he keeps it.
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Try the free valuation (thru Glass's guide) available on www Vauxhall.co.uk. Not being quite sure whether the one you are looking at has a 5 or 6 speed gear box I could get a good figure. If it is a 5 speed bo the figures are

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£6970

Average condition:
£6270

Below average condition:
£5550

Andy's advice is very sound! These things are unreliable money pits!
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Excuse the typos above and those figures I came up with are for an '02 model - sorry! Suggest you do your own search on Vauxhall site. Even with my figures for a vehicle being a year out £12K looks like pie in the sky!
Its actually booked with that mileage between 4750 and 5250
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Xileno {P}
"He's wanting to start negotiations at £12,000"

LOL. Is he a comedian by chance?
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - local yokel
Read this thread, and then ask again, why is he selling it?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=24...6
Read this thread, and then ask again, why is he selling
it?
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=24...6

Thanks for all the quick replies, much appreciated and a real eye-opener!

I test drove the Ford S-Max at the weekend and was very impressed with it - obviously not as spacious (different niche) but still very versatile and great to drive (1.8 tdci 6-speed). Trouble is I think it's mad to buy such a new Ford because of the inevitable depreciation.

Would an aftermarket warranty for the Renault alleviate the pain?

Thanks
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - local yokel
>Would an aftermarket warranty for the Renault alleviate the pain?

It might (but read the small print) cover some of the costs, but why buy a known lemon which will be in dock just before you want to take the clan on holiday, have you running to the next-to-useless R dealership every other week (and they'll give you a knackered Clio as "courtesy" vehicle), and raise your blood pressure?
An aftermarket warranty may allevaite the financial pain but you may still have all the inconvenience. You need to check the small print very carefully to see exactly what is and what is not covered.

But even if you do this, how are you going to get your friend to see sense and realise that his wanting to start negotiations at 12K is laughable beyond belief. Unless of course he has put some gold bullion in the boot.

My advice is to steer clear. If you want as Espace then buy from a Renault dealer, that way you will have more security and in this case you will get one cheaper as well.
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - reddy03
I would agree - steer clear. My Bro in Law had one nothing but grief, at one stage Renault actually hired a Previa (for over 3 weeks!) for him while they tried to sort it out.
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - Altea Ego
you can say what you like (and Andy I would love to see what "book" you use)

People* will snatch your hands off to get this at 10-11 grand

*People who dont know about the problems with this wagon and there are lots of them about.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A quick trawl through Autotrader will show that this car is over priced for a private sale.

2003 03 Renault Grand Espace 2.2 dCi Expression 62K £11990 (dealer)

02 model 58K £8500 (private)

It's at least 2K overpriced in relation to other cars on Autotrader IMO.
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - wotspur
I have a 2.2DCI '52 RACE and have had several problems, see many of my previous posts, but the first car I returned after a couple of months as being too dangerous to drive, the replacement then required a new engine after less than 5,000 miles and that one has just been replaced at 45,000 all due to the ERG valve staying open and causing problems.
Thanks for the link 24466, I will be using this info when I proceed with a small claims action against Renault, please are there any other links relevant - thanks in advance
you can say what you like (and Andy I would love
to see what "book" you use)
People* will snatch your hands off to get this at 10-11
grand
*People who dont know about the problems with this wagon and
there are lots of them about.

It the old model and your correct there are lots of inoccent people out there who will buy at any price and as for price take one to dealer and see what he offers. I personnaly would not get involVed with Renault again after being nearly bankrupt with a load of what looked cheap Lagunas so I am biased, bottom book with mileage adjust 5k Glasses.
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - massey
Buy this 'bag of nails' of this friend and you are certain to have one less friend
Grand Espace private sale valuation? - DavidHM
£12k is pie in the sky and I agree with Andy on that. (But so is £5k - you'd buy it at that and stick it straight through the ring again).

Given that I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole, I'd say about £9k after haggling so he should be starting at around £10k.

But really, don't bother. Too many turbo-related and miscellaneous problems even to consider in my opinion.
Again, thanks for all the replies - it's pretty clear I should steer clear - if only for friendship's sake...

In my friend's defence he's never had any problems with it and loves the comfort and practicality - always been a Renault fan!

Let him stay a Renault fan it would not do for all of us to support the same team.