rover 214 - porous sump?? - bbroomlea{P}
Took the 214 in for its MoT today - passed again first time, as of yet never failed one now which is not bad considering its on 115,000 all it gets is an oil change and a wash once a year.

Anyway there is an advisory for a new sump as current one has gone porus - I assumed it was the sump plug leaking from last oil change.

It really needs doing asap as tester recons it wont last much longer before dropping all of the oil. He has quoted £60 for the sump and £40 to fit - expecting that to include new oil!

Does that sound too expensive? If so where can I get one cheaper and then I will get them to fit it?

Thanks
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Civic8
pourus sump says the sump has degraded to point it will not hold much longer any oil in it.

Not actually come across a sump on these that needed replacement,even if if did its not expensive,but on all that I`ve looked at, only problems have been-no replacement of drain plug seal copper seal between drain off bolt and sump,or sump gasket has failed /front or rear main oil seals gone.

As for what you are asking sounds about right to me!
--
Steve
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Simon
I have come across a sump that needed replacing on a 1.4 Rover K-series engine before. This is assuming that it is the one that is basically a pressed steel oil pan. The one that I saw had rotted through from the outside and only had a pin prick of a hole but it was enough to drip oil whilst the car was standing. Looking at the whole of the oil pan it was quite rusty and scabby and was well past its best. If I remember right replacement is quite straightforward, the only obstacle is removing the exhaust front pipe or at least unbolting it and letting it hang down otherwise you can't lower the sump off. A new gasket is about a tenner, not too sure about the price of a sump, and I would check exactly what the price you have been quoted does and doesn't include.
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Andrew-T
"had rotted through from the outside and only had a pin prick of a hole"

If it's a steel pressing, that is possible, as it happens to quite a lot of Puntos (on the bright side, that means not enough oil leaks from the block to stop it rusting!). However to me, calling it 'porous' is sloppy language. Something porous oozes everywhere, not just through one pinhole.
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Spanner
My brother-in-law has a high mileage Toyota Carina with same problem. The sump is a pressed steel unit that rusts from outside in and leaks from many pinholes. Toyota wanted £80 plus vat for a new sump!

£40 to fit seems about right.
Book time is around 54 mins for the 8 valve engine and 1hour 24 mins if it has the 16 valve engine.
Of course, those times are based on a nice new car with fastenings that aren't seized!

Spanner
rover 214 - porous sump?? - bbroomlea{P}
thanks for all of your replys. its definately not a pin hole considering the amount of oil that is now dripping everywhere so maybe its just completely rotted through.

Aparently its going to take a few days for the parts to arrive, however SWMBO'd is still using the car for commuting - 60 miles a day. Is this a good idea? dont want it dropping all of the oil and wrecking the engine!
>>however SWMBO'd is still using the car for commuting - 60 miles a day. Is this a good idea? dont want it dropping all of the oil and wrecking the engine!

Take it off the road untill its fixed,not a good idea to drive a car with an oil leak that bad!
--
Steve
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Edinburgh andy
Just out of interest how old was the Toyota with the leaky sump.

Cheers
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Rab355
My Golf has needed two replacement sumps in 16 years and 260,000 miles. They rust through from the outside and give the appearance of porosity because the oil spreads behind the skin of rust. I think that lots of miles on heavily salted motorways and trunk roads is the cause.
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Fullchat
Had a Sierra with the same problem. Removed it, gave it a good rub down with a wire wheel on a grinder and brazed some patches on the hole and other corroded areas. Coat of hammerite and as good as new! You need some sheet metal and some gas welding gear but most garages have it.
--
Fullchat
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Spanner
Just out of interest how old was the Toyota with the leaky sump.

Car is a 1994 on an L plate with over 188,000 miles.
Spanner
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Friends N reg diesel Toyota Corolla had a rotted sump.
Cost them seveal hundred to get it fixed. Think they did lose enough oil to cause consequent damage - so be warned!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Crinkly Dave
Not wishing to sound like a bodger, but in view of age of vehicle and limited value, have you considered applying some proprietary sealer to the outside of the sump to get it to next year's MOT?
I think there was a thread about this earlier this year?
rover 214 - porous sump?? - Hamsafar
You shouldn't really let the oil drip onto the road, as it could mix with rainwater and kill a motorcyclist on a bend.
>>You shouldn't really let the oil drip onto the road,

Probably will cause an accident if not taken off the road,very much surprised no one else mentioned this.

Oil don't mix with water, unless soluble it floats on water making it lethal to drive on.

OP has not commented further,so assume its still being driven??
--
Steve