Volvo 460 - aahbarnes
I'm looking for a temporary car for my father-in-law and have been offered a 1995M Volvo 460 1.8 with 50K miles and full history for 700 UKP. It is in very good condition in a nice silver colour. Is this good value? I'll have to sell the car again in about 6 months, so that is an important factor.

Thanks
Volvo 460 - Xileno {P}
I would offer £500, perhaps meeting at £550 but only if it's got 12 months MOT.
Volvo 460 - local yokel
A completed sale search on Ebay shows that only one 460 made over £400 in the last month. That one made £800, 94 auto, silver, 50k, 2 owners, 12 month MoT. The next highest at £400 was also 94, silver, but 71k and manual, 3 months MoT.
Volvo 460 - aahbarnes
Yes it has 12 months MOT, i'm thinking 600 tops given the prices on ebay.
Volvo 460 - Marc
£600 might make sense as a longer term purchase but if you're planning on selling on again in 6 months time you probably won't get your money back - these cars are unloved.

Parts for these cars are expensive although the 1.8i (B18U) engine is Renault so service parts may be cheaper. Check for rust on the rear arches and leaky rear light units where the sealant has failed. Dahboard bulbs fail also.
Volvo 460 - local yokel
When you have done with it, put it on Ebay with a 12 month MoT and it may well make £500.00 - judging by the prices achieved. Take lots of pics, point out the good and the bad, and they always sell.
Volvo 460 - stunorthants
Make sure it idles properly, 400's are notorious for dodgy idle speeds. That said, if its been looked after, its a nice car - I had one for a couple of years ( an early low mileage one ) and it did 10,000 miles completely without fault and extremely nice car to own, despite some bad press sometimes. I paid nearly a grand for mine but that was two years ago and mine only had 29k and full Volvo history.
Volvo 460 - Marc
I should probably add that we got £500 for SWMBOs 95N 440 1.8iS CVT auto when pxed last Sept (70k FVSH 2 owners).

Apart from the known issues with the CVT box, the car had a serious fault with the idle speed as well - bouncing all over the place (possibly ECU fault) Apart from that the car was in really nice condition. Dealer must have had some fat in the sale price of the car we were buying hence the generous £500.
Volvo 460 - stunorthants
The idle speed isnt the ECU, its the constant idle valve and is a common fault on all 400-series cars.