New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - dodo
Right getting a company car and have narrowed the choices down to either an A6 2.0 Tdi or BMW 520d. Have driven both and the Audi seems better suited but I like the look of the 5 series. Have until Wednesday 12 noon by the way. Thanks
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Pugugly {P}
520d, why not a 320d ? Better suited to the motor I feel. Both cars are good. If you were brought up on FWD and can't handle the perceived negative image of Beemer buy the Audi - No contest for me I would have a 320d.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Oz
I own a venerable 320d (Y reg) but just drove a 520d from Manchester to Hampshire on Friday. Brilliant car - totally belies the fact that it's alarge-ish and roomy car propelled (and I mean propelled) by a 2-litre diesel engine. It's a lot lighter than it looks (aluminium etc.). Totally refined, and 43 mpg.
Oz (as was)
Three teenage children means I need a slightly larger car than the 3 series. Going to look at a Skoda Superb tomorrow!
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Pugugly {P}
That's not a bad car either. As I said, depends on whether being pulled along or "propelled" is more iomportant to you as a pistonhead.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Avant
Yes, and as a corollary to being pulled or pushed is the contrast between...I suppose attitudes is the best word.

To get the best out of a BMW you have to be involved all the time, whereas with an Audi you can relax more. That said, I'm sure BMW drivers get used to it and feele relaxed. Maybe the younger you are the more you appreciate a BMW. I'm more laid-back and Audis suit me better. I loved mine and miss it still.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Happy Blue!
The Skoda Superb will probably give you a little more room for a lot less money.

But its the old 1.9TDi 130bhp engine, not the newer 2.0TDi 14obhp in the Audi. Alternatively you can get the V6TDi, but that is thirsty by comparison for little extra power (although nice a smooooooth).
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - blue_haddock
I think they have no launched the 2.0 TDi in the Superb.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - grn
Try the superb on a long test run...nice enough car and lots for money, but felt quite nose heavy and barge-like when I tried one.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Brit_in_Germany
With three teenage children, I would suggest the VW Passat rather than an A6. When I was looking for a new car, my impression was that the amount of legroom in the back of an A6 was somewhat limited (though not quite as bad as an A4) while in comparision, the VW was simply enormous.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - ziggy
520d, why not a 320d ? Better suited to the motor
I feel. Both cars are good. If you were brought up
on FWD and can't handle the perceived negative image of Beemer
buy the Audi - No contest for me I would have
a 320d.

Why A6 and not A4...?

I cannot abide the A6, just a stretched A4.

In this size class I would go for a Merc.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Martin Sweeney
The BMW has sharper and responsive handling, it has the edge on performance and at idle the BMW engine is quieter than the Audi. That said both cars are impressively quiet once inside and once on the move there?s little difference in refinement inside the cabins, with both cars being tremendous places to spend time and neither of them lacking in performance on UK roads. The Audi will certainly be easier on the fuel though I have a notion that the BMW will work out easier on company car tax, which may be more important to you if your fuel is provided. So on performance and cost the BMW would probably be my choice.

That said, from my experience the Audi cabin is more solid, comfortable and stylish than that of the BMW, the driver seat is considerably more supportive than the standard seats in the BMW and the standard Audi climate and audio are offered as cost options on the BMW. The seats and climate aren?t great but wouldn?t be deal breakers, however unless you really never listen to music, the standard audio in the euro?spec E60 is famously poor and would be an essential upgrade. Nice cheap option on the Audi is automatic boot opener. It springs open quite violently so if you time it right you can take out whoever is currenly annoying you!

Both of these cars are surprisingly good performers with these 2.0l engines and ultimately much of the choice depends on your driving style, needs and perhaps which of the cars appeals aesthetically. Unless you?re particularly unlucky, neither is going to be a dud.

The Superb is a good car and now with the 2.0tdi engine and the remarkable standard spec it?s a definite option though if you don?t actually need the extra cabin space IME the Octavia feels more stable and the better car to drive.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - mrmender
but I like the
look of the 5 series.

??? is just me or should you be heading for specsavers
No - perfect 20/20. So far it looks like the BMW but in Touring guise.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Martin Sweeney
I think the touring body is much smarter than the saloon with the BMW though I found that there was noticeably more road noise, but still the choice I would make.

Zippy I think that you should be hitting specsavers yourself since as well as sharing no major components, bar the engine and gearboxes, and being totally different to drive, the A4 and A6 don't even look remotely similar inside or out. The current E-class is behind the game in this class though hopefully the new facelifted model will address that.
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - stevied
IMLTHO the best choice would be an old A6 with the new technology on it!

One of the cleanest, classiest designs ever. The new one is too fussy. I like it, but it doesn't move me like the old one.

Anyone remember the weird original ad with the canal in China? Thought I'd been on the cheese and wine when I first saw that.
Shock Shock Shock Passat 2.0 Tdi estate enters the fray ...
New A6 2.0 TDi or BMW 520d? - Mike H
No, it's not just you - I'm not enamoured of the looks of the latest 5 series either - lacks the elegance of the previous model.