washer fluid and wipers - scfc_151
just wondered which washer fluid people are recommending and which wiper blades. ive always used halfords concentrate stuff and bosch wipers but i still get a streaky windscreen
washer fluid and wipers - Altea Ego
Halford 5 litres pink or blue ready mixed, blade assemblies complete from the manufacturer.

Never have a problem.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
washer fluid and wipers - Adam {P}
Fairy Up liquid.
washer fluid and wipers - mrmender
Groan here we go a again!
washer fluid and wipers - barchettaman
Shocked at the prices of replacement blades for the Astra, I bought two strips of universal replacement wiperblade rubber. Bit fiddly to fit on the old wiper mounts, but they work perfectly, and only cost ?4. Recommended.
washer fluid and wipers - fordprefect
Local (W.Yorks)Halfords has buy-one-get one free on their ready mixed which works out at £5.99 for 10 litres of the pink premium stuff.
washer fluid and wipers - Roberson
Bosch blades with Holts washer fluid. The Holts fluid is the green concentrated stuff from Costco and costs about £3.50 for 4l. Not bad really, but screen wash is all the same IMO. Have you cleaned the rubber blades of your wipers? When mine go 'streaky' its because there are bug remnants all over the rubber. Anyone tried VAG screen wash, if so, is it any good?
washer fluid and wipers - L'escargot
Wiper blades? Genuine spares. Anything else is a compromise, and not always a good compromise either.
--
L\'escargot.
washer fluid and wipers - PhilW
Decosol or Carplan screen wash. As for Fairy Liquid, this has been recommended before and I have tried it - terribly smeary. Try it on a window at home and see what I mean - the very devil, and also the reason why you should rinse your wine/whisky glasses after washing up!!. If it was so good as a window cleaner/screenwash why dont they advertise it as such?
--
Phil
You're clearly putting too much in Phil!
"clearly"
Anything but!!!
--
Phil
For those smear free windows;

1) Borrow Fairy up liquid from Mum/wife/dog

2) Open washer reservoir and drop two tiny blobs into the tank.

3) Insert hose pipe into said washer reservoir and proceed to activate hose pipe - full blast until water spurts out everywhere.

4) Close bonnet and test wipers. Admire how the soapy bubbles cut through grease and dead flies with ease.
3a) buy suit for court appearance to defend flouting emergency drought order
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
3b) Disguise hosepipe as some sort of rudimentary pressure testing kit

or 3c) Move somewhere with plentiful water supplies
"Admire how the soapy bubbles cut through grease and dead flies with ease"
and produce a horrible smeary, opaque mess the next time it rains!!
Think I will agree to differ with Adam - I won't be using Fairy ever again but he will!!
By the way, Decosol Screen wash is great for washing up - no need to rinse your smeary glasses, and for that final sparkly finish I find that a quick coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss protector works wonders. And for those of you who left the washing up overnight, and that egg yolk is welded on to the plates - give 'em a quick blast with Wonder Wheels (Adam also recommends Wonder Wheels for wheel cleaning)!
--
Phil
Wonderwheels makes an excellent mixer for scotch too.

Those crazy people down at Tetrasyl. They think of everything!

washer fluid and wipers - Pugugly {P}
Vinegar and water to clean the screen. Dry it of with Newsprint. (something in the ink apprantly) Check your washer bottle. These can get really filthy inside and can actually have bacterial growth in them. Take it out a strongish bleach mix to clean it out. Then a proper mix of Halford's best. I don't use pre-mix, simply because I like to prepare my own (seasonal dependant). If you live in a hard water area consider a distilled water or even Tesco bottled water at 21p for two litres.(don't use sparkling water !)
Adam,
Scotch does not come in a bottle marked "Meths".
You've never bought alcohol around these parts then PU?
I have and that's what worried me - I have!
Mind you meths can be pretty good at de-greasing stubborn stuff from windscreens.
Not as good as Fairy up liquid though.
washer fluid and wipers - robcars
Most washing up liquids use a lot of salt in their contents.

Always a good idea not to use it a s a screenwash or a car wash.

Proper undiluted screenwash is not dear; just buy proper stuff. Buy it in 5ltrs and use as needed.
washer fluid and wipers - Zippy123
....If only the washers worked on my less than 2 year old Vauxhall Vectra! Oh before anyone says - the washer fluid is Motor Value and the tank is full.

Never, ever, ever again!

Other issues with the Vectra if anyone cares:-

If only the wipers reset themselves at the bottom of the screen rather then right in the middle of my view (\\)

If only the back door central locking did not need replacing - twice.

If only it did not break down in the middle of the January sales on an up ramp to a multistory with the kids and Mrs and dozens of other angry motorist who all have to wait.

If only Vauxhall kept the part that failed in stock I would not have had to wait two weeks to get the banger back.

If only when I drove home after picking it up from the above repair the engine management light did not come on and reduce me to crawling speed back to the garage.

If only the engine management system worked so the cruise control did as well.
So, I guess, a smeary windscreen is the least of your problems...
Funny SWMBO had an old shaped Vectra for a few months as a company car and the wahsers wouldn't work on that.
washer fluid and wipers - Phil I
Shall I tick the less than satisfied box then Mr. Zippy?

Happy Motoring Phil I
Zippy

you wanna do a swap? I have a cracking Touran to offer.....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
washer fluid and wipers - Avant
The washer fluid you get from VW / Audi dealers is excellent and surprisingly cheap. Nice and soapy but no smears.
washer fluid and wipers - barchettaman
I´m using Mr Muscle floor cleaner at the mo´, and it works a treat.
washer fluid and wipers - pmh
Best washer fluid is the French stuff either ready to use or concentrate. Much better than anything you can buy in the uk. Dissolves hardened dead insects and leaves streak free screen.

Probably find that if you let it drip on the driveway it dissolves the tarmac!
--

pmh (was peter)

washer fluid and wipers - Xileno {P}
Agree with pmh, screenwash is always one of my routine purchases when I go to France visiting. I can't remember what the last one I bought is called but it comes in a five litre container and IIRC was about 4 euros. Works extremely well and has a pleasant pine smell.

For wiper blades I take what the dealer fits, either Bosch or Valeo.
Don't forget the wipers also - much cheaper than UK (half price or less), and I'm talking Bosch/Valeo let alone supermarket's own brand which seem identical to Valeo or Champion (some are even stamped Valeo)
While in France a couple of weeks ago I checked the price of Scenic2 wipers, which someone on here had been charged about £100. Valeos (those new flashy blades, and probably OEM on a Scenic 2) were 37.70 Euros for a pair.
--
Phil
washer fluid and wipers - Xileno {P}
In the past I've had the car serviced there as well. I reckon it's about half price.
Agree - called in at a huge main dealers for Cits in Rennes, on the notice board was labour charge - £35 per hour. (And then they did the job on an out of warranty Xantia, leaky sunroof, took an hour or so for free - "all part of the service Monsieur")
--
Phil
washer fluid and wipers - pmh
Labour rates are graduated whether it is monkey, boy, man or technician work in some garages.

IIRC the (excellent) boy was charged at 32? per hr + TVA in a 'minor' Peugeot franchise in 2005 in the middle of France. 40 min job + 'evaluation' charged as 30mins = 16? for cash. Left him the 4? as a tip.

What would it have cost in the UK?

--

pmh (was peter)