Tyres giving away true mileage? - Paul D
Went to look at a new car at a car supermarket - Mondeo TDCi, first registered August 05 - 16000 miles.
Tyres are new to a bit worn - make was "Hancock" Tyres.
Would have expected Ford original tyres to be still installed at this low milage - did'nt think Ford standard fit was budget tyres of this type.
Any comments?
Tyres giving away true mileage? - T Lucas
Yes they fit Hankook in the factory.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - khizman
mine have pirellis
Tyres giving away true mileage? - quizman
If Ford puts cheapo tyres on a new car and you can see them, just think of all the cheap junk they are using which you can't see.

This applies to other makes as well.

I would not accept a new car with cheap tyres, they would have to change them to proper ones. ie Michelin/Pirelli/Goodyear etc.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Dynamic Dave
I would not accept a new car with cheap tyres, they would have to change them to proper ones. ie Michelin / Pirelli / Goodyear etc.

Price of bacon has just gone up again.

home.nycap.rr.com/funpages/pigpolka/bigpinkr.gif
Tyres giving away true mileage? - martint123
Hankook not necessarily a 'budget' tyre nowadays. OEM on a few vehicles.

"Globally, Hankook currently supplies tires to Ford, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Kia, Volvo, GM, and Mitsubishi, among others."

www.hankooktireusa.com/press_view.asp?ID=108
Tyres giving away true mileage? - John S
Check the date code on the tyres - should indicate if they may be originals and definitely if they are replacements

JS
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Xileno {P}
Manufacturers fit a whole range of tyres, it depends who gives the best deal at that time. Also depends on the factory where the car was built.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - kithmo
Manufacturers fit a whole range of tyres, it depends who gives
the best deal at that time. Also depends on the factory
where the car was built.

All UK Mondeos are built at the same factory in Genk Germany so I don't think your second sentence applies in this case but I agree with the first. Also it could rely on availability. My new Mondeo TDCi has Michelin Pilot Premacy tyres on but whist I was scouring the car supermarkets I saw some low milers with Hankooks but the majority were Contis.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - CQ
Genk is in Belgium.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Marc
When I bought the 01Y Mondeo I used to own it was 6 months old and had 13k on it - the original front Continental Premium Contacts were bald. Dealer replaced with Contisport - I got about 25k out of these. First owner must have gone fast round a lot of roundabouts.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - honeybear
The tyres on the front of my Megane Sport Tourer Conti Premium Contacts have done 12000 and are wearing quickly I think they have another 2000 left in them. 14000 out of these seems a little low and thecar is not diven hard.
You've been lucky - some Megane owners have been getting less than 12K from Contis. It seems that the Contis do not match the Megane suspension very well, or vice versa. Try Kumho ECSTA KH lls next but you should inform your insurance to be on the safe side.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - NARU
If it helps you judge whether the mileage is correct, the michelin Pilots on the front of my Mondeo TDCi did 23,000. But a lot of that mileage was on the motorways.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Dynamic Dave
As others have said, Ford can use Hankook tyres as standard fitment. Our new Ford Transit Connect at work has them fitted.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Mike H
Try Kumho
ECSTA KH lls next but you should inform your insurance to
be on the safe side.

You're joking of course....why would you tell the insurance company you're using a different brand of tyre??
Tyres giving away true mileage? - blue_haddock
You're joking of course....why would you tell the insurance company you're
using a different brand of tyre??

Because technically your moving away from the original specification of the vehicle, just as if you were changing the radio or adding a bodykit. However no-one bothers and i don't think the insurance companies care either.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Armitage Shanks {p}
So long as the tyres meet the car maker's spec and/or the appropriate British Standard I can't see that there would be a problem. If you have a mechanical warranty on the car would you tell your insurer that you had changed from Castrol to Mobil oil? I don't think so!
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Quinny100
Mondeo TDCi's can be hard on front tyres - heavy front end and lots of torque through the front wheels is the primary cause. I had a set of Dunlop SP Sport 2000E last 12k, Michelin's lasted nearer 15k.

Just had to replace the 225/40/18 Conti Sport Contact 2 on my ST TDCi at 13k - I had hoped they would last a bit longer @ £140 a corner! I've replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 to see if they're any better.

As standard Ford fit all sorts. I've seen Goodyear NCT5, Michelin Pilot Primacy, Hankooks, and various Conti's on new Fords.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - cheddar
Punctures aside, over 107k I have got about 25k from the fronts and 30k from the rears, Conti SP, SP2 and Bridgestone. My friendly tyre man has Falkens in the Ghia X 205/50-17 size for around £65, these are well thought of and should save me a few quid next time around.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Red Baron
Some of you guys must drive like lunatics!

My 03 Mondeo TDCI came with OE Goodyear NCT5. Fronts changed at 23k, rears at 42k. Have just replaced the front Bridgestone RE720 that had done 27k and still had 2mm of tread left.
Not necessarily, I get about 30K out of a set on my VW but the Renault seems to have a greater appetite for rubber, somewhere about 18K on the front, about 20K on the back. Same driver, same journeys. I probably drive the Renault harder since the turbo engine just loves to go, but not so hard as to account for the difference.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - turbo11
Just asked a guy at work who has an 05 reg 2.0 petrol mondeo.He has done 13000 since he bought the car new.His car came with michelin pilots on,and they still have plenty of tread.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Statistical outlier
My 5 month old diesel Accord CTDi has now done 13k, there is 4mm left on the front and 6mm on the rear. There have been a lot of motorways involved in the mileage.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Statistical outlier
"My 5 month old diesel Accord CTDi.."

..as opposed to all those petrol CDTi's obviously.

Oh for an edit button.
Tyres giving away true mileage? - Fullchat
Why noy check the spare. If its a Kumho chances are they were factory fit.
--
Fullchat