Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - henry k
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5057884.stm
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - Big Bad Dave
I have a Polish speeding fine for 50 quid that I will never pay. Just doing my bit to redress the balance.
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - Armitage Shanks {p}
US Embassy in London owe over £500,000 in unpaid congestion charges and fines for non-payment. They say it is a 'tax', from which they are exempt, and not a fee that they would have to pay.
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - v0n
Funnily enough TFL spokesman admitts "there is currently no legal framework in existence whereby a civil debt incurred in a foreign country can be transferred to the court system of the resident country". Which basically means it's people's good will to pay those penalties as they can't be legally enforced, taken to court and flogged to bailiffs outside British shores.

As for US embassy (and many more embassies) - they are right not to pay, British diplomatic body doesn't pay tolls or taxes in US, and Congestion Charge couldn't be possibly regarded as "service". It is in fact
- tax on commoners for not supporting Mayors transport policies
- toll for driving into, what effectively is, US soil.

--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - KMO
You're saying UK embassy staff don't pay US road tolls? They drive up to the toll booth, flash their diplomatic pass, and get waved through? Source? The TfL folks have been saying the exact opposite.

And of course the Congestion Charge is a charge for a service. It's a charge for using the roads in central London on that day. No different from a toll for a bridge or motorway, apart from the way it's collected.
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - Thommo
KMO,

Ken Spart uses exactly your arguments and keeps saying 'we're going to court'. But he never does as he knows he will lose. This tax may in fact not even be legal under UK law.

Roads are paid for out of general taxes and under public ownership. What Ken is attempting to do is charge to use something thats already been paid for and which he doesn't own. Like to see you argue that as a service in court.

A PRIVATE road is a wholly different matter, US diplomats would have to pay to use the M6 toll road or not use it simple as.
Chasing up unpaid Congestion charges - Vincent de Marco
I have a Polish speeding fine for 50 quid that I will never >> pay. Just doing my bit to redress the balance.

Hey, smile & ease up a little bit ;)
You'll never be able to redress the balance. Ever.
That's how it works on planet Earth.
You've got my folks over there in Blighty, we've got the Rus and Rom. The Rus got Caucas and Chineese. The Chineese got Mongoleese and God knows who else. It's the wave which doesn't ask anyone for permission, it just does what it does.
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.