Another rant about ignorant drivers - Happy Blue!
Two incidents today..

1. Near Knutsford (home of northern version of Footballers Wives) and attempting to exit a field onto a minor road with very restricted view. I see a large car coming from my right. Footballer's Wifey thing in the drivers seat. She stops, but only to let people coming past in the opposite direction, as I am slightly out in the road to get any sort of view. As the other cars go past, she wellies it. She could have let me go?

2. M60 North Manchester going down and up Death Valley from west to east in a four lane section. LHD HGV in Lane 2 is unable to get into Lane 1 because middle aged woman in Megane Estate is sitting in Lane 1 at 56mph and the HGV driver cannot overtake to get past her nor slow down to get behind her as there is no gap behind her. (I'm behind him). She pulls off at J17 and he immediately pulls into Lane 1, showing that he was a caring sort. Woman must have been blind. I would not want to sit in the motorway about two feet from an HGV in the next lane.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - P3t3r
Think yourself lucky!

A driver overtook me (I was doing about 40-50mph), he cut infront of me very close, and braked as hard as he could. He then got out of the car, came to my window, and shouted 'Have you got a problem? You're lucky I don't break your neck!'.

I didn't say anything, so he just walked back to his car. I've reported it to the police (inclding full registration), but I doubt they'll be able to do much :(
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Armitage Shanks {p}
It might be relvant to know where you were doing 40 -50 mph - was the speed appropriate for the road/conditions? Clearly the bod was a stressed up idiot on a short fuse; the police WILL follow it up if you can allege a racial element into it. Any chance of that?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - drbe
>>the police WILL follow it up if you can allege
a racial element into it. Any chance of that?

>>

I'm sure you aren't suggesting that the facts be distorted in any way - are you?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Pugugly {P}
Similar experience, cruising at 78 mph in lane two of a dual, overtaking some slow movers, a Honda Jazz pulls out to overtake a HGV, no indication, no anticipation. The overtake progresses at a steady65 mph, a kindly flick of the headlamps and pulls back over into an empty lane one, I resume previously set speed. glance in the mirror to see a pimply youf hunched over the wheel giving me the finger..... what's wrong with people ?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Dalglish
.. cruising at 78 mph .... flick of the headlamps ..
... glance in the mirror to see a pimply youf hunched over
... the wheel giving me the finger ..... what's wrong with people ?

;-) nothing - he reacted to your stereotypical bmw driving ;-0

Another rant about ignorant drivers - Andrew-T
PU - there are some people out there who feel it is reasonable to expect you to do no more than 70 - maybe his finger was suggesting that?
there are some people out there who feel it is reasonable to
expect you to do no more than 70

>>

not the legal profession, surely. which is not remotely connected to pu's business.

Another rant about ignorant drivers - Roberson
a kindly flick of the headlamps

>>

Unfortunately, a "get the hell out of my road 'cos I?m more important that you" flash is precisely the same as a "excuse me, did you forget I was here. Never mind, please step on it" flash. In other words, you can't convey whether you're genuinely trying to remind someone you're there, or just being aggressive, there is no 'emotion' for the lack of a better word.

I think many (too many?) people use their headlights for the former of my initial explanations for headlight flashing. Thus, you're most likely to get a finger as reply. If I were you, I?d have just waited (no headlight flashing) and let them get on with it and pass when they're done.
Yes - You are probably right. I meant it kindly (!). My usual practice is to indicate (offside) it normally gets a lane hogger back into lane one without apparant offence.

I responded maybe incorrectly because this guy's standard of driving, (1) faliure to forward plan (i.e. catching up with a slow mover) where he could have accelerated into the clear lane two at a much earlier stage, (2) faliure to indicate, he pulled out into my path at a much lower relative speed, (3)faliure to pull back in front of slow mover, and just dawdle along at 50ish. Maybe he took offence at my car (which happens) and perhaps I reacted in a way that wasn't right. All I was trying to do was drive at the (or just above) speed limit on what was a very quiet stretch of road. Maybe a flick of headlamps as opposed to a "dose of lights" was my way of making it "kindly". Anyway we all make mistakes and my reaction to a mistake I make is not to make a rude gesture to the other (innocent driver) however they react. He then pulled out behind me and tried to tailgate me....I think I may have actually woken him up ! or made him drop his mobile/coffee/sudoko quiz.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - stunorthants
A little point is that anyone has the right to sit in the inside lane at 56mph - better there than in the middle lane.
If the lorry didnt have the speed to pass her, shouldnt have pulled out in first place - too many lorry drivers seem to be living in their only little world where they must pass the vehicle in front even if there is only a few mph difference in their speed.
Ive followed these 'duels' for miles on duel carriageways and it demonstrates poor forward planning and a complete lack of thought for other drivers.
My little van cant do much more than 55mph on the M6 as its light and high sided which gets blown around with the constant cross-wind, so I have lorries ever so slowly inch past me, but thats not my problem, Im doing nothing wrong.
'duels' for miles on duel carriageways

>>

isn't that why they are called "duel" (sic) carriageways?

demonstrates poor forward planning and a complete lack of thought for other drivers.

I agree with that bit, there is a complete lack of forward planning on duals, leads to bunching, fustration and huge dips in ecnonomy.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Happy Blue!
Stu

I see your point, but the lorry had not pulled out to overtake the woman. He was in Lane 2, which had been lane 1 until another motorway merged creating a new Lane 1 which this woman was on. She did not seem to understand that the lorry could not overtake her (speed limited) so for her own and other peoples safety, she should have let him into Lane 1 by slowing down or speeding up - not wait for 1.5 miles of possibly one of the busiest stretches of down and up motorway in the country.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - stevied
Oh dear.... several points here. Firstly, Espada, I sympathise: I live in Nantwich and avoid Knutsford/Wilmslow et al whenever I can. Why? Because, not wishing to be inflammatory or derogatory : ) but they're both full of arrogant, nouveau-riche over-tanned "we're considerably richer than yow" type morons. Driving is the least of their problems... but their attitude to life comes over in their driving style. "I'm picking up Jack and Chloe from the nursery, who are all these peasants in my way?" would sum it up for me.

Secondly, motorways. I drive to Leeds most weekends, and the standard of driving in this country; particularly north of Huddersfield, appalls me. People don't realise that their selfish stupidity can actually cause accidents. They don't link their own behaviour to the flow of traffic, and then wonder why there's hold-ups and accidents. I have had several conversations with people whose driving has made me scratch my head, and they genuinely don't understand the points I am trying to make. One bloke said to me "but if I move back into the "slow lane" (sic) I get stuck behind lorries further on, so I just stay in the middle". Words fail me. The driving test is too easy, the police don't enforce any laws that don't bring them revenue, and people are self-obsessed egotistical morons. A combination of factors that makes driving, and life in general; an absolute nightmare in this country.

Another rant about ignorant drivers - MuttleyMcLad
Re: stevied, I also live in Nantwich, I was not aware that anybody from round here used this forum, hello to you sir, what do you drive just out of interest?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Lud
Bit overstated stevied (unless Nantwich is a very special case) but the thrust of your remarks is entirely correct.
Nantwich is fine (aside from the ever-present blight of lowered Corsas but that's a generic thing!) it's Knusford and Wilmslow that annoy me! The X5 capitals of the north! : )

Yes, Lud, I did rant somewhat..... got out of bed the wrong side today, I think. Am somewhat lacking in tolerance today...

Muttley, I drive a Fabia vRS. Nantwich is very inbred (so much so that it's twinned with itself) I probably know you....
Another rant about ignorant drivers - borasport20
it's Knutsford and Wilmslow that annoy
me! The X5 capitals of the north! : )

So that's why we chose it for the Back Room Meet next tuesday

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Ha! It's a nice place, I hasten to add! Where you meeting?
Another rant about ignorant drivers - borasport20
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=41205&...e

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Another rant about ignorant drivers - LHM
Just think of all the rude, aggressive, ignorant, selfish people you meet every day at work, at the supermarket, down the pub etc.

It comes as no surprise to find them on the roads, too....
Spot on LHM.

My favourite ever motoring idiocy moment was in Birmingham. A chap in a Zafira was in a queue of traffic moving fairly efficiently as it merged into another road. He was shouting "if everyone drove properly there wouldn't be a queue" and waving his arms about and getting redder and redder. Now, I am fairly convinced that there is a queue on that road every day, and basically his attitude says "what I am doing is more important than all these other idiots". It's what we're becoming conditioned to think, and it scares me. Other people are carrying out everyday tasks, and yes, it's annoying when they dither about, but in this situation, there was nothing to be done, and Mr Zafira will shuffle off his mortal coil very early if he doesn't grow up and learn to accept it. If you don't like traffic don't live in a city!

Believe it or not, I am smiling as I write all my rants. It's very cathartic!
Another rant about ignorant drivers - MuttleyMcLad
stevied - A favbia vrs very nice! Most skoda/audi/vw/seat driven round here are ones on the bentley scheme. You can tell by the number plate prefix, and the way they all tailgate you/pull out in front of you and dont bother to indicate!

Funnily enough I drive a Corsa, but its not modified in any way, in fact it is my girlfriends car, I sold my ka, as we have just bought our first property (a new build in nantwich!) and cant afford 2 cars.

Might see you around town!
Muttley, Promise I won't ever tailgate you, or indeed anyone else!!
It is odd how people drive their Bentley scheme cars, because the penalties for damage are immense! Certainly a moneyspinner for VW Group....
Well done for buying a house in Nantwich.... if I was buying mine now, I couldn't, if you see what I mean!
It is odd how people drive their Bentley scheme cars, because
the penalties for damage are immense!!

Please excuse the apalling from a Suvverner (typical!) but what is a Bentley scheme?

Is that where you plan to buy a Bentley, but, at the last minute, buy a, er VW instead.

Did you see the piece on Traffic Cops last night, where someone had allegedly been selling Bentley bits er, illicitly on Ebay?
I missed out the word ignorance, after the word apalling.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Phil I
> but what is a Bentley scheme?

I do not know either, Would like to know. Anyone ? Please.

Phil I
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Andrew-T
"all the rude, aggressive, ignorant, selfish people you meet every day at work, at the supermarket"

The problem is that there are now so many of these people about, that the 'rest of us' have decided that if we can't beat them ...
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Waino
"all the rude, aggressive, ignorant, selfish people you meet every day
at work, at the supermarket"

SWMBO is a teacher and it always amazes her that the dim, the lazy, the inconsiderate, the aggressive etc - ALL seem to get their acts together to pass the driving test. She (like all teachers I know) spots them in the 'Magistrates Briefs' in the local paper and says 'I could could have told you that, when they were nine years old!'
'I could could have told you that, when they were nine years old!'

Having been in my line of work for 30 yrs I've seen three generations of the same families go through the courts. It's getting worse it really is. (Retirement now less than three years away !)
"The Bentley scheme" is a lease scheme for employees of Bentley in Crewe! It offers all VW Group marques, hence the ridiculous amount of TTs in Crewe and Nantwich!

I did like the idea of buying a Bentley, then ending up with a Golf.....
Are they owned/leased and what happens when they're moved on Auctions, local outlets ?
Leased for 6 months, then they go back to the importers, think they're put into dealers.

No doubt there'll be a huge amounts of Eoses (or Eii) in Cheshire very shortly!
PS, drbe I know ALL about the ebay thing through my "contacts"! It's all very amusing. Quite how he thought he would get away with it is beyond me!!
Mmmm interesting I was talking to a trader in work (don't ask) who mentioned a closed VAG Auction last month.....he was picking up 6 month old Polos for a grand less than forecourt prices..he said there were 1000 odd VAGs there. All sold.
Interesting! I believe the scheme is open to all VAG employees, that's a lot of people.... meaning a lot of 6 month old cars!
Yep, I've known this guy a long time and the conversation turned to VW when he (how can say ?) "turned up" in a lovely little Polo...immaculate 6mth old, average miles and blalnce of warranty. He buys them turns them out for a 500 profit. No work required only collecting from auction.
"all the rude, aggressive, ignorant, selfish people you meet every day

by coincidence, the study published yesterday - see

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5049610.stm

explains "... impulsive aggressiveness which are grossly out of proportion to the situation, such as that seen in cases of road rage or domestic violence. ..."

Another rant about ignorant drivers - Ian G
In terms of relative driving standards around the UK, I recently drove from Surrey to Aberdeen and back in a weekend, which gave me a good chance to compare driving styles.

I found Scottish drivers far better at motorway driving than their English nieghbours. This covers things like
- returning promptly to left lane
- indicating lane changes
- forward planning: getting in/out of a lane before a glut of lorries
- reacting to other traffic: getting in/out of a lane as a car approaches from the rear (in this case me)

etc.

It was a marked shift to middle lane crusing, driving in a trance as I crossed back into England from Scotland, with the worst driving being on the 4 lane M25 around M4 and M3.

I think it's down to both less traffic and the majority of M-way and principle roads being 2 lane up North - you have to leave the outer lane clear more.

Down here with 3 lanes, it's more tempting to dismiss lane 1 as the lorry territory, and stay in lane 2. Which rapidly clogs up lane 3 for peopel wishing to stretch the speed limit slightly.

And on 4 lane sections this is just worsened - lane 1 and 2 are often deserted, as if they're infected by a plauge. Then, it takes only 1 or 2 drivers scattered in lane 3 or 4 to result in a queue of cars wanting to go 80ish stacking back in lane 4.

The inevitable result is someone dashing up the left in lane 1 and 2, with the depressing and enevitable reaction of lane 3 and 4 drivers bunching together "not to let them in".

Very depressing. Solutions I think could be
1) enforcement such as pulling drivers over by Police / Highways Agencey patrols (2nd one controversial I know!) and
2) dual carriage way/M-way being included in a stricter driving test.

Ultimately, I think it's caused by people in cars being utterly isolated/ indifferent as to how their actions impact on others.

Not sure how to stop this though..?

Ian
I agree. Noticed that very thing - nearside two lanes virtually empty - on a 4-lane stretch of M25 just the other day.

Part of the problem with this sort of thing is it's infectious. Press-on drivers who might normally be good about returning to lane are afraid of being baulked by the dreaming, slack-jawed mimsers (or in many cases tense and terrified slow drivers jerking around in utter funk) and so stay in the outer lanes. Yes, I am speaking for myself.

.**********

The Belgians who are thought to be quite dangerous drivers are very prompt at returning to lane on their 2-lane motorways. It's the law there.

Sorry mods.

I was censored for saying that if the police gave people roadside scoldings for this behaviour, and the media backed them up, something might come of it. I don't see anything wrong with a lane discipline drive. But it would take political will and road brains on the part of some minister, and the safety twonks and anti-car people would try to sabotage anything sensible.

For the curious: used an improper synonym for 'scoldings' in last post.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - wotspur
couldn't agree more that most motorway drivers, down south can't drive on motorways correctly, and I live near JUCT 11 M25, so a very busy area. Prehaps if undertaking was legalised it might change driving habits, it works ok in other countries.
The worst drivers, slow and as if in a daze, I've encountered were in Eire, and Norfolk/Lincolnshire area, but that's only to be expected
Another rant about ignorant drivers - henry k
couldn't agree more that most motorway drivers, down south can't drive on motorways correctly, and I live near JUCT 11 M25, so a very busy area.

>>
>>
On the M3 between J1 & M25 yesterday morning about 09:00.
I was in the middle lane overtaking a vehicle in lane one with someone overtaking me.
An old large Alfa saloon just a little further back swept from lane 3 across to the hard shoulder, used that for a short distance and then back into lane 3. It must have been doing well in excess of 90 and rapidly disappeared from sight.
A crazy way to proceed.

As anyone who uses this part of the M3 knows, there is so little traffic on it which makes this action even more amazing.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - AlastairW
I actually knew someone who was pulled over for middle lane hogging, on the M57 iirc.
He was quite a new driver at the time, so the police just gave him a warning. Unfortunately they also impounded his car, as apparently it was two Orion 1.6i Ghias welded (badly) together!
"Unfortunately" Good.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - greenhey
Cracker this morning.
Going through Reading, in right-had lane queuing at a roundabout. Ahead of me a car, at the front of the queue, and to his left a bus.
Roundabout is clear , bus goes over, guy in front of me goes left .
Entirely luck the bus did not plough into the car, the driver of which I think was completely unaware of the threat he had just created.
Another rant about ignorant drivers - Kevin
>Roundabout is clear , bus goes over, guy in front of me goes left .

Common practice in N.Hants and Berks. Along with a right turn from the LH lane.

However, the guy you observed was not a true practioner, he should have cut across the front of the bus.

I think the correct procedure for each manoeuvre is described in the "Basingstoke Ammendment to the Highway Code" but so far I've been unable to obtain a copy. The best place to study this is the Winchester Road roundabout during morning and evening commute hours. It is especially entertaining when the vehicle in the LH lane intends to turn right and the one in the RH lane intends to turn left.

These manoeuvres are only suitable for advanced drivers though. About two years ago I witnessed a woman on the school-run fluff a 1-2 gearchange and found a Sainsburys truck in her passenger seat. Luckily the kids were belted-up in the back and the only injury appeared to be a nasty cut as a result of the girl's head hitting the side window.

Kevin...