V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - bobnbeck
Hi all,

I've just bought a Diesel Honda Crv, almost 5 months old, from a Honda Dealer.
The car has 3000 miles on the clock and was, in my opinion, a bargain. When I collected it the saleperson informed me that the director could not release the V5 yet as they had not kept the car as a demonstrater for long enough. Aparently they have to wait 6 months.

So I have a car, reciept and road tax up for renewal soon. They say to drop in the money for the road licence and they will get it for me.

I'm hoping to have a word with them tommorrow about it.
Has anybody else had experience of this?

All comments welcome.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - robcars
Sounds dodgy to me!

Never ever buy a car without the V5 for whatever reason.

Did they tell you this before the sale?
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Xileno {P}
I would be worried except it's from a main dealer.

Sounds dodgy to me!
Never ever buy a car without the V5 for whatever reason.
Did they tell you this before the sale?

No not at the time.

We had seen a car at motorpoint and only gone to the dealer to see the new diesel in the flesh. After telling the salesperson the age,spec and colour we were after she popped off and came back with the details of the demo which was due to come up for sale.

They checked our old crv. I'd left the motorpoint printout in view so they new what trade in and price they had to match. They matched the motorpoint price, that crv had 7000 more miles on it and then went lower again.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - martint123
I'm sure I've read about this practice on here or possibly elsewhere. The dealer gets a very cheap price from the maker as it's a demo car, but contractually they have to keep it for 6 months. But they sell it to a customer before the 6 months is up and keep it in their name until then.
Ask them about insurance and ask outright "is this vehicle in my name". The inconvenience may well be worth it for a good price though.

Martin
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Pugugly {P}
Apply for a Reg. Document using the Dowoadable form from the DVLA site. Should get it through quicker.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - L'escargot
I'm sure I've read about this practice on here or possibly
elsewhere. The dealer gets a very cheap price from the
maker as it's a demo car, but contractually they have to
keep it for 6 months. But they sell it to a
customer before the 6 months is up and keep it in
their name until then.

Tell them you want the car re-taxed at their expense (or a similar freeby) or you will shop them to Honda!
--
L\'escargot.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't think that's a very good way to start a worthwhile relationship with your dealer, assuming that you want one! If you can get the car serviced somwehere else go ahead - if you can't, try for something but don't threaten blackmail, I suggest!
Thanks for the replies, it's given me something to think about.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Collos25
Its not your problem ,tell them you want the docs immiediatly all they are doing is fiddling the vat.Or you want a payment to half the vat they will save do not forget what they have done is fraud against H.M.G.revenue dept probably punishable by death in the UK.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - adverse camber
Honestly.

It isnt a 'Vat fiddle' unless your invoice is incorrect for vat. Look at the invoice. No way is a uk main dealer fiddling vat.

This is a fairly standard practice and occurs with lots of pre-reg new cars. Fleets get deals from the mfr, dealers get deals on demos from the mfr. The deal is that they are not supposed to resell those cars at low prices for a set time, mfr protecting price levels.

The V5 shows the KEEPER not the legal owner. Different things.
If you were looking at a pre-reg car or ex fleet car at motorpoint the same thing would happen.

Your Honda main dealer is doing you a good deal and you want to throw a wobbly?

Try doing a forum search - this has been covered many times.

V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - madf
Many Insurers will only insure you if the car is registered in your name.

More Than for one.

(Very inconvenient if you need to reregister a car which has been on private plates. I had to switch from More Than to be able to insure the car I had just bought because of that. An inflexible rule so I was told)
madf
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Pugugly {P}
Many Insurers will only insure you if the car is registered in your name.

I've never been asked in whose name any member of my fleet is registred in, for heavens sake. The Defender is registred in the dog's name.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Dalglish
I've never been asked in whose name any member of my fleet is
registred in, for heavens sake

>>

could it be that you are a business?

most private individuals will find that it is a condition of insurance that the vehicle is owned & registered in their name. some/most will not even accept a partner/spouse as owner/keeper if you are to be the main named insured driver.

cna madf & pugugly tell us who their insurers are, because imo these companies must be the exceptions to the rule.

Your Honda main dealer is doing you a good deal and
you want to throw a wobbly?

I wouldn't throw a wobbly with anybody, I don't see the point, it just builds prejudice.

It's just that nobody at the dealership has explained why. It's so easy to be fobbed off if you don't know the real reason behind something.

V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - PW
Probably completely wrong here- but thought it was actually a legal thing introduced a few years back to stop dealers pre registering loads of cars as demonstrators then selling them next day at discounted price to boost their sales figures.

Think it came in around 2001 as dealer mentioned it whilst I was buying a car from them, and a friend had a similar thing when she bought her car.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Peter D
It's a Tax issue. A demo car is tax detuctable but you have to keep it a minimum of 6 months to qualify and offset against tax. Regards Peter
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Bill Payer
This does seem standard practice, but I've always wondered what would happen if the dealer went bust.
Would the administrators think they owned the car? OK, you've got a receipt, but if the dealer hasn't put the sale through the books then it could be messy.

Being asked if the car is owned by you and registered in your name is a common insurance question.
V5 Document and Ex Dem Cars - Peter D
You require a formal letter from the Company detailing the circumstances of the delayed V5. As you are not the registered keeper of the vehicle how did you insure it. A receipt and cover letter can prove ownership but not the Registered Keeper. Regards Peter