Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - stunorthants
With all that talk of the Senator rear lights on Bristols, its kinda made me hanker after one now! If I cant have the Bristol, I can have a car with the same lights :)

I like both the 80's and 90's ones so which ones are best? 2.5, 3.0 or 3.0 24v? Which is the most reliable? Can you still get parts ok?
I like the earlier cars most, but are they all rusty now?
On of my neightbours has one of the later shape ones in a sort of gold colour and its really smart, I see it every morning!
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Happy Blue!
Oh yes get one. Lovely cars. On 24v will do though!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Tomo
I agree with Espada III.

The succeeding off putting statements have some substance, but look at the prices!

I have been tempted myself in the past but have no spare working/garage space.

And I'm a bit long in the tooth to set up as a Classic Cars buff!
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Chad.R
A good site for Senator/Omega stuff;

www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/

"Run by enthusiasts for enthusiasts"

Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - redviper
Just to add to the topic

about 7 years ago i test drove a, IIRC a B Reg 3ltr Straight 6 Senator - it was the one with what i think the "American Style" Rear and it was fantastic it had the best digital dash ever (for the time) ever. and Aircon, Heated Seats / Mirrors - I would have got it if it did more than 15mpg (what i was told)
--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - redviper
yep it was one of these

www.autobahnstormers.co.uk/adverts/senator_a_for_s...p

--
1983 (A) Vauxhall Astra 1.3L
1993 (K) Vauxhall Cavalier 2.0i GLS
1999 (T) Renault Laguna 1.6
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Number_Cruncher
Tremendous cars!

However, I think you're about ten years late! Most of the survivors have rotten rear wheel arches. Although the 24 valve engine is the best performer, it can be eye wateringly expensive to fix if it goes seriously wrong.

I'd avoid Senator A models unless you are happy to be hands on with maintenance. Senator B models are quite a bit easier to work on, even withstanding the better spec. There's more and better self diagnosis of the electronic systems for example.

Number_Cruncher
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Xileno {P}
What about the Omega?
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Hamsafar
Yes, try an Omega Elite (replacement for Senator) vs. the plain Omega which replaced the Carlton.
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - barchettaman
On the Autobahn south of Stuttgart I set my personal KMH best in a gorgeous Opel Senator 3.0 24V. Wound it up to 245KMH before common sense prevailed, and I realised I hadn´t checked the tyre pressures etc etc.
The weird thing was it felt better and better as you got faster - the steering, which was very light at normal speeds, really weighted up, and the whole car ´hunkered´ down.

The friend who owned it sold it the next year (2004), it was broken for spares immediately apparently.
Thoroughly recommend it. Great big wafty steering wheel and light steering.
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - smokie
My last speeding ticket was in my 2.6 Senator. Was comfortably doing 120mph up the M6, and had been, on cruise, for 80+ miles.

I enjoyed that car, and I can't remember why I got rid of it.

I replaced it with a Rover Sterling 827 which soon got the elbow then went for an Omega MV6 (3.0) which I still have, and still enjoy. It's now 8 years old but still a youngster in mileage (130k), and still goes well enough for me (registered 150mph on the autobahn last year).
I think ill stay away from the Omega, I like them to drive but its too complex as a cheapie with plenty to go wrong.
I think ill go for an early 80's one and hold out for a good one as I really love the shape of the earlier ones more so than the later ones.
Im sure there must be a good one out there somewhere and as im in no hurry, im in a good position to wait for one.
The early ones got cambelts? By early I mean pre-87 ones.

Fuel consumption doesnt matter really as I will only use it on weekends and if I got out in the evening which isnt often.
My only other option is a pre-86 Merc 200/230E which I have always loved for their build quality, if not quite as luxurious as the Senator.
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Number_Cruncher
>>The early ones got cambelts? By early I mean pre-87 ones

No, they all have chains.

If you like the shape of the Senator A, how about a Monza?

The strut tops rot out quite badly on this shape of car (Senator A, Royale, Monza), but at the age they all are now, I would be looking VERY carefully for rot.

Number_Cruncher
I certainly wont buy one with anything more than minor rust - im doing up my '87 Mazda 323 and while is generally good, the rear valance has rotted out behind the mudflaps - very arkward to sort, as is the bent front bumper which has seized bolts so cant get it off to take a hammer to it!

Im not so keen on the Royale ( most are ropey if you can find one ), but the Monza is a good suggestion.
Plus I have the chioice of Vauxhall and Opel Senators - where there any differences between them?

My only other option is a Renault 25 - might seem like asking for trouble, but HJ's write up on them seems to suggest they are tougher than I thought, although avoid the autos. I had a Renault 21 TXE as my third ever car and I loved it to bits, so comfortable and it had the ( working ) digital dash which was ever so 80's.
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - Xileno {P}
You will sruggle to find a half decent R25 now, the very last were made in 1991/2 ('J' reg) so are 14/15 years old. The early ones were troublesome, a case of too much complexity being built in but the problems were soon sorted. Apart from the auto transmission which could be a curse they made a good value luxury barge with the comfort that traditional Renaults always had and did so well. The 2.2 litre GTX with the speaking dash would be my choice but I think you will be looking for a long time :-(

It was the first Renault that really put to rest the ghost of rusting Renaults.
Like I said, im going to take my time and look for that special car. Its going to be a fun car as such, so how long it takes to find the right one doesnt matter at all - theres always one more timewarp one sitting in a barn somewhere.
Should I buy a Vauxhall Senator? - r_welfare
I've got one of the last old-shape (on a D plate) Senators. 2.5i manual. Fantastic car - great noise from the straight six, moves a bit when you stir the cogs too. Not a sports car when it comes to handling, and I only get around 24mpg, but it's only used for fun. Timing chain - not belt - and easy to do basic servicing. Anything more major may be tricky if you're a DIY amateur as there's no Haynes manual.

If you get a nice one it will be a rewarding car to own, but the trouble will be finding one at all. They've all rusted away. Keep your eyes peeled on eBay or join the Autobahnstormers club. If you find one, look for rust around the suspension struts, inner wings and bulkhead, rear wheelarches and trailing arms. Less than a grand should get you a minter, and a very tidy one should be less than £500. Good luck!
Ive got about a year or so to find the right car so plenty of time im hoping!
Anyone got any other suggestions on cars to think of?