Bio diesel in Manchester - Happy Blue!
The Half Way House petrol station (corner of Middleton Road and Bury Old Road) has just started selling biodiesel at 88.9ppl. It's a small old site and the nearest station is a Shell with regular diesel at 94.9ppl I think, which is surprisingly low for recent times in our area. It's been up to 98.9ppl in the last month.

I filled up the Trajet today and noticed that the fuel is a murky brown colour and foams up more. I'll keep you informed. The saving of 6ppl makes the lack of Pluspoints or ability to use Amex worth it; especially if the ecomony improves, even by 2%.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Bio diesel in Manchester - Hamsafar
Is it B100 (100% biodiesel?) or a blend?
Biodiesel isn't usually murky brown!
Bio diesel in Manchester - Happy Blue!
No idea - perhaps not murky brown, but much less greeny yellow than derv and closer to light ale colour?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Bio diesel in Manchester - andymc {P}
Murky brown sounds as though it's been made from very well-used cooking oil. Foamy I wouldn't be too happy with - sounds to me like there are some unreacted tallows in there. Wouldn't do any harm to ask if the fuel is made to EN14214 and to ask what their washing technique is. Has it been bubble washed or mist washed?
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Bio diesel in Manchester - ziggy
I filled up the Trajet today and noticed that the fuel
is a murky brown colour and foams up more. I'll
keep you informed. The saving of 6ppl makes the lack
of Pluspoints or ability to use Amex worth it; especially if
the ecomony improves, even by 2%.

What is the evidence biodiesel will have higher (not lower) economy..?

I wouldn't trust anything which does not have the appropriate standard (BS etc.). What is lubricity compared to standard derv..?

Bio diesel in Manchester - Rover25
Theres a place on in Manchetser City Centre that sells BioDiesel too. Its on Fairfield Street or Temperence Street, near to Piccadilly Station. Can't quite remember the name of the firm though.
Bio diesel in Manchester - andymc {P}
With higher oxygen content, biodiesel should burn more efficiently and slightly more powerfully than derv - however this is usually offset by the lower density of biodiesel. On average, fuel economy should show very little variation, but pure biodiesel (B100) may be 2-3% worse in terms of miles per gallon. Having said that, it can also vary from car to car - my old 525td used to do a lot better on biodiesel than on derv, whereas my Leon does maybe 1-2 mpg worse. Passat seems about the same on either fuel, in spite of having the same engine as the Leon.
The appropriate standard for pure biodiesel is European - EN14214. Prior to its introduction the only official standard available in Europe was the German one, DIN51606.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...