96 1.6 auto mystery warning light. - dipsomaniac
can somebody please tell me what the following warning light is trying to tell me.

1996 astra 1.6 auto. orange light to the right of handbrake warning light. it looks like a camcorder shape from the side with a bolt of lightning in the centre.

it has got me stumped and unfortunately haven't got a owners manual.

Edited by Pugugly on 10/06/2008 at 22:03

vauxhall astra warning light - Altea Ego
The camcorder is a representation of an engine, and 9it means its logged an engine management fault.

Dave will be along shortly to tell you how to read the blink codes to tell you what the problem is
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
vauxhall astra warning light - dipsomaniac
thanks for the quick response TVM. i would appreciate the advice on how to identify the fault.
vauxhall astra warning light - Dynamic Dave
dips,

Yes, TVM is correct. It's the ECU fault light. No need for expensive code readers to diagnose the fault however. All you need is the following website and a paperclip.

www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/fault_codes/fault_codes.htm

Not 100% sure where your ecu diagnostic plug is on your Astra. It'll either be in the fuse box, or below a removable panel just behind and under the handbrake lever.

Report back the blick code(s) you get.

If it's an ecotec engine, more than likely it'll be either the camshaft sensor, or crankshaft sensor at fault.
thanks Dave. it is my mums car, will have a go as soon as I can and report back.
fault got worse so car was taken into garage before i could read fault codes. garage diagnosed the fault and fitted a new sensor - didn't say which one. cost £104

thanks again for advice
vauxhall astra warning light - ChadleyBadley
I have the same fault. I just read the diagnosis instructions using the PaperClip method. Then I got to the end and realise that 1. I'm missing the footie and 2. It doesn't work on my car as it is 2002. What a bummer, guess I'll have to pay someone to tell me what the fault is. My son may not have shoes for a year or two.