VR6 knowledge share - perleman
This may be fairly commom knowledge but I thought I'd share...

My mate bought a VR6 for 1700 quid with 91k or a P plate. Gear change was loose and it drove OK but didn't pick up much speed till well over 3.5k revs and didn't start well either. After some investigation, it turned out that the air mass meter wasn't connected inside the bonnet! After re-connecting it it drives completely differently and starts from cold perfectly.

Regarding the gear change, a plastic part that guides the gear linkage had failed, costing £8.70 from VW to replace (and £25 for the local oily garage to fit, there and then!). This fixed the loose gear change.

Hope this might be of some use to someone!
VR6 knowledge share - BB
Yep. The plastic part does tend to go on the linkage. Was his problem getting it into first gear without going into second first?

Great car and quick for its day. Keep on top of maintenance and it will last for a very very long time.
VR6 knowledge share - perleman
Similar, it wouldn't go into reverse at all, but would select 1st instead - very alarming when we tried to park at Sainsburys 24 hours after buying it, obviously thinking at first that it was gear box failure or something expensive! Obviously the guy who sold it thought he'd got rid of a shocker, but it's turned out to be a remarkably good buy - just not so economical on the old petrol!

VR6 knowledge share - bell boy
your mate was sold the car at nigh bottom book needing faults and or body damage repairing,he got a good deal.
VR6 knowledge share - Roger Jones
The long-term average mpg on the VR6 Highline that I'm about to sell is 29.6, much to the surprise and delight of its prospective new owner.
VR6 knowledge share - BB
I was 23 when I bought mine so my average mpg went from around 18mpg to 24ish mpg over 8 years.
VR6 knowledge share - Aprilia
91k is a good mileage for the timing chain to fail. I would get shot ASAP and take a bit of profit.
VR6 knowledge share - mrmender
Prahaps Lud would like to comment on this thread, or the quality of certain citrus fruits!