Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Xileno {P}
What are these cars all about? Is it a Laguna underneath, i.e. lots of common componentry? Or is a Laguna a safer option regarding servicing and spares availability?

I don't think I could live with an Avantime.

X
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - type's'
You've probably sen this but HJ says: "A very different driving experience from almost anything else. Will appeal to some, but won't appeal to everyone. Problems with electric parking brake. "

From the reviews I have read it can't be related to the Laguna (IMO only though) as they all say it is not a good drivers car where as Laguna is quite good.

Having said that I like the look and applaud Renault for being different.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - tack
My brother has got one. He says it is the most comfy car he has driven by far. He is not a racer (family guy with a 4yr old) Drives to France in it on a regular basis. So far reliable.

It's a bit like Marmite....you either love it or hate it, (tho' funny enough, he hates Marmite!)
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Stuartli
There are two in my area - quite remarkable as very few have been sold in the UK (last figure I saw was 273).

An acquired taste, but definitely a pub talking point for owners.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - SGB
Ugly car, it has a textured front bumper so even blind folk can hate it!! ;)
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Lud
French intellectual, non car person although not completely mechanically illiterate, sid it cruied very fast but seemed slow.... ideal.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Altea Ego
Vel Satis is a big comfy barge in the traditional french way. Dont expect to appreciate the finer points of its pin sharp handling - It does not have any.

you really need an Aventime

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Imagos
Ignoring depreciation and reliability issues, this is probably the only Renault of recent years i've driven I genuinely like and wouldn't mind owning.

The interior is a lovely place to be in particular the huge armchair seats.

Go for it.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Avant
I was very fond of a succession of seven big Renaults, one of them a Safrane which was the predecessor of the Vel Satis. I had no major problems with any of them.

They were company cars; if you buy one yourself I should think it would make sense only if you buy one or two years old and keep long-term. Horrendous depreciation - although it's possible the VS will have rarity vale in times to come.

The death knell for the Safrane (and possibly also the reason why the VS never took off) was the Laguna itself. I had a V6 after the Safrane and it had more than enough room inside and boot space, only slightly less than the Safrane.

Maybe try both with the same engine - I'd go for the V6 dlesel - and see what you think. Apart from exclusivity, and unless you need the extra room, I'd guess that the Laguna would be your preference.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Collos25
The fact that it has an all plastic body makes it interesting they seem to fetch good money compared to a Laguna.It is a Laguna floor pan and mechanics,the 3.0dci must be quite a beast to drive but having so much bad experiences with Renault I personnally would stay away.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - mike hannon
I'd go for it Xileno, as long as you don't mind the fact that it looks a bit like an old-fashioned pram with the hood up.
Even in France they seem to be relatively cheap now for what you get.
As an aside, I seem to keep spotting Avantimes all over the place, which is pretty remarkable considering not many were made and this is a very rural (backward?) area. Still don't know quite what to make of them...
The Avantime is only two doors so that is out. Also it looks just a bit OTT. I like the look of the VS and the interior is just ace. I want to get back to the comfort that Renault used to do so well in the past, anyone who has been in a 20, 25, 30 or some of the softer Lagunas will know what I mean. If it's a bit roly poly that doesn't bother me, most of my driving is motorways and anyway I am getting on a bit now.

My biggest concern is servicing, parts and knowledge. So few have been sold that I doubt very many dealers ever see one, let alone build up a good knowledge base to fix things - should they go wrong. So for that reason alone I may go for the safer option and get a Laguna. Shame the Laguna doesn't come with the 3.0 dCi engine though, I guess it's too big and heavy.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Collos25
The Avantime is only two doors so that is out. Also
it looks just a bit OTT. I like the look of
the VS and the interior is just ace. I want to
get back to the comfort that Renault used to do so
well in the past, anyone who has been in a 20,
25, 30 or some of the softer Lagunas will know what
I mean. If it's a bit roly poly that doesn't bother
me, most of my driving is motorways and anyway I am
getting on a bit now.
My biggest concern is servicing, parts and knowledge. So few have
been sold that I doubt very many dealers ever see one,
let alone build up a good knowledge base to fix things
- should they go wrong. So for that reason alone I
may go for the safer option and get a Laguna. Shame
the Laguna doesn't come with the 3.0 dCi engine though, I
guess it's too big and heavy.

>>
That cannot be the reason because you can get a 3.0 petrol Laguna.It is only a Laguna with a plastic body stuck on.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - Avant
"Shame the Laguna doesn't come with the 3.0 dCi engine though, I guess it's too big and heavy."

Yes, you're right: in my first post I thought it did. Renault are missing a trick there - big and heavy it may be, but surely not so much heavier than the 3.0 petrol that it couldn't be engineered somehow?

I had a Laguna V6 petrol after the Safrane - a great car which was a delight to drive for all its 100,000 trouble-free miles. A V6 diesel Laguna might not suffer quite such disastrous depreciation either.
I expect the height is the problem, the 3.0dCi Isuzu engine is a big lump.
Will I be Vel Satis(fied) ? - trancer
Rode in the back of one being used as a Taxi in Belgium. Nice seats, but the ride was very rough. Could be due to its use/abuse bombing around Brussels, but then the Merc E class taxis I rode in weren't as uncomfortable.