"Whirring" noise - Mark
Hi all,

My cars started making a strange whirring or throbbing noise, from the left hand front during hard right hand turns, it gets faster the harder I turn and not so much with speed.

I've read that this could be due to a failing CV joint, am I right? If so, how hard a job is it to replace? Or are there any other options as to what causes the noise?

BTW, Audi 80, 1988 1.8.

Thanks,
Mark.
Re: "Whirring" noise - Don Cox
Mark
CV.joint failure usually causes "knock on lock" best checked by putting the vehicle on full lock in a car park and driving away in bottom gear, repeat for the opposite lock. The noise is usually a distinctive "clack clack clack" is speed related and shocks are often felt through the steering.
From your description I think I favour a wheel bearing failure, if you are lucky you may be able to feel slack in it, or hear noise, with the wheel jacked up, although I find more often there is only noise under load.
Front wheel bearing replacement usually involves removal of the steering knuckle or strut and pressing out the old bearing and the new one in. The latter task is best performed on a press and is therefore a bit challenging for diy.
Regards

Don Cox.
Re: "Whirring" noise - Mark
Thanks Don,

I'll look into changing the wheel bearings and hope that cures my problem.

Mark
Re: "Whirring" noise - Brian
I had the same trouble and found that it was the spray flap which was rubbing on the wheel.
Bearings - Mark
Just to let you know

I discovered why the throbbing noise was occuring, the track rod (or control, whatever it's called!) from the steering gear to the top of the wheel (sorry, not too au fait with the proper terms) was coming loose where it attached to the steering gear. A swift turn of the spanner later (and a new locking nut) solved the throbbing noise and now I'm just left with the increased noise from the left wheen on right hand turns. A noise I know as a worn wheel bearing.

If Euro Car Parts get their arse into gear and deliver my order soon I'll be changing them this weekend (hopefully).

So thanks for the advice.

Mark