Golf alternatives - Stu20001
I'm sure this has been done before but I can't find a thread so I'll ask the question again and risk a deluge of abuse for being dull...

I have a budget of £7-8000. I want a nippy, 5 door hatchback, nothing too old with decent mileage - how unique does that make me??!

I know I can get 4 -5 year old Golf GTi for that - wondering what else I may be overlooking? A Leon Cupra has been vetoed by my 'better half' on account of it having six gears (yeah, I know..)

Any suggestions?
Golf alternatives - Gromit {P}
Octavia vRS? Same 1.8 turbo as Leon (rated 150 bhp instead of 180, IIRC) and 5-speed gearbox rather than 6 so your better half may approve...
Golf alternatives - Stu20001
Interesting - bit bigger than a Golf though aren't they?
Golf alternatives - Gromit {P}
Marginally - same floorpan, but the boot in the Octavia extends beyond the rear axle. Little difference in weight either.

Worth bearing in mind, though, that the MK4 Golf GTi has slower acceleration through the gears than an Octavia. A 1.9 TDI Octavia, that is!

There were two other 1.8 turbo versions of the Octavia too: the Laurent and Kremin hatch and the 4x4 estate - both slightly less conspicuous than the vRS.
Golf alternatives - barchettaman
Octavia vRS is rated at 180bhp.
There is a cracking Octavia 4x4 Turbo rated at 150bhp (although one guy on the Briskoda site is currently modding his to 450BHP+)
Laurin Klement version of the Octavia is highly specced and quite rare - well worth a look if you can find one.