Daihatsu Copen - Carrow
We were asked to source genuine Oil & Air Filters this morning for a Copen. No problems doing that, the customer gets what the customer wants but I thought you would like to know thw prices.
Oil Filter £10.70 + Vat (It is tiny!!), Air Filter £39.03 + vat!!
The air filter is a funny design but it weighs next to nothing, talk about rip-off!
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - dylan
Went to Mr Daihatsu to get some service parts for a 2003 Charade today. Here are the prices:

Oil filter: £10.81
Air filter: £33.87
Sump washer: £1.66

All prices inc vat.

I was expecting to pay over-the-odds, but £34 for an air filter is justing taking things too far. This is a bog-standard rectangular filter, branded Denso. Oh well, live and learn.

Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - stunorthants
I bet they dont make nearly as many of these as Ford do for any of their cars, hence the higher prices. Its just standard business practice to price up the items with lower production.
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - Happy Blue!
When I have the Scooby services I buy a spare oil filter and sump plug seal for an intermediate oil change. The price for them was a total of about £6. i would have thought that Subaru's would be a lot more expensive than that.
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - carl_a
So the Air filter on the Charade is different to that of the Yaris ?
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - GregSwain
So the Air filter on the Charade is different to that
of the Yaris ?

Probably, yes. Just because cars have engines developed by the same people doesn't mean all the filters will be the same. The engines are different - the Charade is 989cc, and the Yaris is 996cc (according to Parkers). Daihatsu and Suzuki both tend to have very expensive parts, which seems odd as they're both aimed at the cost-conscious buyer.
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - Aprilia
There is no point in trying to figure out how manufacturers arrive at their parts prices - often the retail pricing is left to the local importer and they more of less pull a figure out of thin air. Korean cars often tend to have high parts prices, despite low production costs - ditto Proton of Malaysia. I have noticed that some Ford parts are getting dear too.
Factored parts can often differ wildly in price too - I have bought NGK spark plugs in Germany at about 1/2 the UK price for the same part number. And I posted on here how I've bought Mitsubishi parts over the internet from Australia and New Zealand at well under 50% UK prices (and that includes air shipping) - despite both countries having a much smaller market. E.g. Mitsubishi idle stepper motor - about £450 in UK - £100 in Australia !!. Radio surround trim £125 from my local dealer, £52 inc air post from NZ. Nissan Lambda sensor about £250 from my local dealer, same part no. about £80 from Nissan dealer in USA.
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - expat
One place I worked in we used to make up seal kits for hydraulic rams. Our seal kits had the same seals as the manufacturers kits but we sold them for about half the price. The O rings came from the same O ring company. The only difference was the name on the plastic bag.
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - Vansboy
Best not buy a rear lamp unit for your original shape Discovery, from the main dealer - get one offf a scrap Maestro van for pennies!!

&, not a lot of people know this (poor Micheal Caine voice) this particular component actually dictated the side panel lines, of Discovery, that were to be followed, within the design.

Take a look & you'll see what I mean!

VB
Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - dylan
So the Air filter on the Charade is different to that
of the Yaris ?

Yes, it's different. Same basic design, but the Yaris one (on my 1.3) is a bit smaller.

For comparison, here's what Mr Toyota charged for the same parts recently, as part of a main dealer service:

Oil filter: £8.22
Air filter: £15.07
Sump plug washer: £0.89

inc vat.

So overall the parts for the Yaris are just over half the cost of the Charade. And Mr T's not exactly known for his bargain prices.

I guess the difference (£22) in terms of overall running costs of the car is very small, and the Daihatsu was cheaper to buy than the Toyota, but it's just not nice to feel you're being taken for a mug.

Daihatsu Copen + Charade service parts - yorkiebar
You seriously think ford make their own filters?

They don't, sorry!

But they do buy an awful lot of them!