DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - KenC
I have a VW Golf Mk4 Diesel 130PD, I am thinking of trying to change the oil myself,there is a shield under the engine - looks like it will be difficult to get past with the car on the ground.
Also cannot see the oil filter, will I need a tool for the filter ?
Has anyone any tips please, thanks
DIY Oil Change - nozmeister
I too am considering an oil change but I've a Golf 110BHP TDI. I've looked at the shield underneath and I think it will come off easily if I can get it up on a ramp.

I know the oil filter isn't underneath on mine it's under the plastic engine cover on top inside "a tube" that you need to unscrew the plastic top from. There is an element inside that needs replacing.

Maybe the 130BHP is similar.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - mark25
You will need a torx driver to get the shield off.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - alan kearn
Be lazy, apparently some main dealer workshops use vacuum pumps similar to the ones at the link below

www.nauticalia.com/products.php

and one of these to unscrew the filter canister cap

www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/index.php?cName=Oil-Filter-S...8
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - mark25
a 1/2 decent torque wrench - as the sump plugs are incrediblly easy to strip on those.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - David Horn
A steep and bumpy hill, which effectively removes any engine undertray with the minimum of damage.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - aahbarnes
Be lazy, apparently some main dealer workshops use vacuum pumps
similar to the ones at the link below
www.nauticalia.com/products.php
and one of these to unscrew the filter canister cap
www.toolsnstuff.co.uk/index.php?cName=Oil-Filter-S...8

I reckon these would leave all the swarf in the bottom of the sump.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - 547HEW
Its easy with the right equipment.

Car front wheels on car ramps

Tx 25 to remove undershield.(9 or 10 screws).

19mm A/F skt to remove sump plug. (from memory, think its 19)

Strap wrench to remove filter housing cap.

remember to replace the o-rings on the fliter holder, and dont over fill with oil (damages catalyst).

DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - daveyjp
Its also worth replacing the sump plug and washer.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - bert-j
Make sure you use the correct 505.01 oil for normal service intervals.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - Collos25
Most places I know change the oil and filter free if you purchase from it from them ,its normally as cheap as just buying the oil.I do not see the point in doing it youself and having to get rid of the old oil and filter and as your not sure what your doing let someone else get their hands dirty.

Most places I know change the oil and filter free if you purchase from it from them ,its normally as cheap as just buying the oil.I do not see the point in doing it youself and having to get rid of the old oil and filter and as your not sure what your doing let someone else get their hands dirty.

I wonder how many VW TDI PD car owners have done this not knowing of the special oil needed (505.01 spec.)that these Fast Fit/Oil Change workshops dont refill with because they dont stock it.

DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - Big John
Just out of interest in the owners manual of my Skoda Superb 1.9 TDI PD it recommends VW 505 01 for fixed service intervals but VW 506 01 for flexible service intervals. It warns of engine damage if other oils are used. The service manual also recommends VW 505 01 or 506 01 BUT! and I quote:- "If this engine oil is not available the oil must be changed every 15,000km (10,000 miles) or 12 months"

Sorry Big John you are wrong

No oil other than "505.01 or 506.01" spec should be used for VW tdi pd engines.Using oil not to this specification can cause substantial damage to your engine.

505.01 or 506.01 IS A MUST
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - Big John
I was only quoting what is stated in the Skoda Superb service book!!

However I myself will not be deviating from 506.01 (mine has variable service intervals). At least it doesnt seem to need topping up between services.
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - Collos25
I was looking at some oil in makro the other day and it clearly states on the back "recommended for all VW diesels".If you talk to a mechanic at a VAG agencents he will put you in the picture of how not to get conned with oil.
Hi Andy there is a makro near me, can you recall the VAG spec that was quoted on the oil & the approx price ?
thanks for the input ken
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - quizman
I was looking at some oil in makro the other day
and it clearly states on the back "recommended for all VW
diesels".If you talk to a mechanic at a VAG agencents he
will put you in the picture of how not to get
conned with oil.

If you want to put the wrong oil in your own VW, then fair enough. But you should not tell people to copy your example and then they might have a wrecked engine.

On Pumpe Duise VW engines you must use either 505.01, 506.01 or 507.00, whatever it says in Makro.
Thank you all for the very helpful information,can anyone describe the easiest way to access to oil filter housing ? is it only after removal of the lower engine guard panel or can I reach it from above.?
DIY Oil Change vw golf mk4 130pd - Spanner
If the filter cover has a hex molded onto the top, you can use a spanner or dedicated filter removal tool. If not use one of those strap oil filter wrenches. But NOT a chain wrench for obvious reasons.
Put some old rags around filter housing as old oil can flow out and make a mess. Make sure new filter element comes with new O ring seals, and don't re-use old seals either.

Make sure you loosen the filter after you remove sump plug as these types of filter (with removable element) retain oil when engine is off. This is similar to those used by BMW. If you don't remove filter before replacing sump plug, all the old oil within filter will drain back into sump and mix with the fresh stuff. So while the sump is draining, undo filter.

Biggest problem I had with changing filter was trying to use trolley jack. The front bumper/apron moulding is low - even for a low entry jack. On top of that, there is no 'solid' subframe to speak of so unless you can get car up on ramps or safely jacked up on jacking points, then get a garage to do it. Or find someone with a pit.
With reference to oil extractors that remove oil via the dip stick, in my experience, these only work if the oil is nice and warm and able to flow freely. These tools were really designed to empty marine engines where the sump is inaccessible. It's much better to have oil flow out under gravity as all the sludge and heavier compounds flow out.
Hope this helps