turbo diesel air filter - scfc_151
just wondered if anyone with a turbo diesel preferably a 306 or xantia has replaced their air filter with a K & N filter or something similar?

the reason i ask is that when i service the car every 5-6000 i replace the air filter too. Except one time i didnt. This resulted in a big drop in economy (45 down to 30 mpg)

i just wondered if a filter like K&N would give a better air to fuel mix and better economy? just interested.
turbo diesel air filter - David Horn
Hmm. I've only ever changed the air filter once, and that was to pass the emissions test. Same engine though, current air filter is about 18 months old. Might change it now, actually. It's just a matter of undoing the cover under the radiator, isn't it?
its a 2 min job well worth doin 4 the sake of a fiver ull b surprised how dirty they get
turbo diesel air filter - Collos25
Its all hype it will not improve anything,what it will do is last a long time if you maintain it properly probably cost more than regulary changing the paper one.
turbo diesel air filter - nortones2
As AB says! As I understand it, diesels all operate at an excess of air, as they are not throttled. "Increasing" the flow via a fabric filter can do nothing for power, which entirely depends on the fuel injection. Other than compromise the filtration, and adding the possibility of getting the filter oil onto the MAF. You could always ask them for their data on power improvements for diesels, of course.
i think i might contact them to see what the power increase and fuel economy increases may be if any im more interested in mpg than power! i get the feeling that a £6 halfords filter every 6000 would be more economical than a £35 K& but i thought it was worth a look
turbo diesel air filter - Roly93
i think i might contact them to see what the power
increase and fuel economy increases may be if any im more
interested in mpg than power! i get the feeling that a
£6 halfords filter every 6000 would be more economical than a
£35 K& but i thought it was worth a look

Opinion seconded, the K&N style filter will do very little for a diesel except make more noise (unless you want this), you are much better off replacing the standard paper filter on a more regular basis as they're so cheap.
turbo diesel air filter - jc2
A std. paper element will do a lot more than 6k. before it needs replacing unless you're driving in extremely dusty conditions and I'm not talking anywhere in the UK.
turbo diesel air filter - Martin1981
The Haynes Manual states that the air filter on the 306TD should be replaced every 12k. I normally check it every time I change the oil and oil filter every 5-6k in my 306, if it looks dirty I replace it- for the sake of £6, if not then I leave it for a while. I always use the standard paper ones.

Martin
The Haynes Manual states that the air filter on the 306TD
should be replaced every 12k. I normally check it every time
I change the oil and oil filter every 5-6k in my
306, if it looks dirty I replace it- for the sake
of £6, if not then I leave it for a while.
I always use the standard paper ones.
Martin

i do the same becasue the one time i didnt change it the economy dropped big time i buy the paper filters from halfords they dont have a mesh around them like others ive used which seems to give me more mpg with is weird.
turbo diesel air filter - Roberson
i do the same becasue the one time i didnt change
it the economy dropped big time i buy the paper filters
from halfords they dont have a mesh around them like others
ive used which seems to give me more mpg with is
weird.

Could be the quality of the filter that?s responsible for the short lifespan/poor economy, as I agree, an air filter should last considerably more than 6k especially when its replacement interval is nearer double. It sounds as if the filter is clogging quite easily and preventing sufficient flow. Try an OEM or Genuine filter and see if it makes a difference.

turbo diesel air filter - ziggy
I replaced the filter on my ZX TD many years ago.
I found what looked like half a tree.... no dead animals mind.

I would like to say performance and economy dramatically improved. But they didn't..