How much do I sell this for? - stunorthants
Ive just agreed to buy an ultra low mileage Renault Clio off one of my customers ( im a valeter ) but i have no idea of its true worth. Ive offered her £350 for it because it doesnt have MOT or Tax and has been sitting in her garage for 6 months and only got started up when I came round to clean her car.
Im hoping to make a few quid as I have a classic Mazda that is in the process of being dragged through MOT prep and could do with the extra funds!

What I want to know, is what should I sell it on for once ive MOT'd it and put 6 months tax on. Im also going to get it serviced as its overdue for one now.

Its a 1995 M reg Clio RT Automtic in a lovely green metallic with 15,000 miles and one elderly owner from new. Aside from a pin dent in the front wing, its virtually mint.

I cant find a similar one for sale anywhere so its hard to judge?
Any ideas on what I should advertise it for?
How much do I sell this for? - Happy Blue!
Those auto boxes are definately dodgy. Change the ATF asap. You'll find some local OAP looking for just this car and will probably give you £1,000 for it.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Well yes, I know they arent the best boxes around, thats what i told my customer, although it has full service history at main dealers so im hoping the ATF has been done in the last ten years! Its not expensive to do anyway so I will do that along with the oil/filter.
How much do I sell this for? - Xileno {P}
You need to get it MOT'd first. Without that, it's worthless.
Assuming it passes, £350 seems about right, someone will get sucked into the low mileage aspect and pay OTT for an old car. It only takes one, as they say.
How much do I sell this for? - Altea Ego
Sounds like my mums car. N reg its just hit 26k miles. Serviced every year. Auto box has been faultless.

Old ladies of a certain age love these. Get your market right and you will easily get 1k for a a good un.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much do I sell this for? - bell boy
its worth £995 all day
dont tax it or its £60.50 from your profit
dont drive it either keep it mint
sorn it as it may take a while to sell
good luck
So if I put it up for say £1250 ONO with a new MOT and a £50 service but leave the tax and have them tax it on day of colection, thats the best way to do it? What about someone test driving it though, without tax? Most people will want to at that kinda price wont they? Or should I ebay it?
How much do I sell this for? - Xileno {P}
I strongly urge you to get it MOT's. It's an old low mileage car, presumably sitting in a garage for long periods of time. It may look mint on the outside, but what's going on underneath?
How much do I sell this for? - Aprilia
These old Clio autos are horrible little cars. However, you may well be able to make a profit from it. You'll definitely need to MoT it - and that MAY mean spending some money on it.

Test drives are a problem. At around £1k any potential buyer WILL want a test drive. If you SORN it then technically you can't put it on the road.+
The car was serviced a year ago and its done about 300 miles since then - theres no rust at all and all pipes etc are like new - its only been in the garage for 6 months or so, the rest of its life its been stored outside but Im not sure if its seen rain before. I will get it pre-MOT'd and see if its straight.

I think I will have to insure it and then cancel it when it sells so hopefully if it sells quickly, I wont have much to pay much and while im at it I may aswell tax it.

If i ask enough for the car, I should still make a decent return shouldnt I?
How much do I sell this for? - Altea Ego
Assuming you get a ticket for it and pay some rent on it, there should be at least a monkey init for ya
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How much do I sell this for? - Dalglish
Ive offered her £350 for it ...

I should still make a decent return

>>..

i am going round to tell her that you are going to make a monkey out of her car (as tvm puts it).

How much do I sell this for? - Pugugly {P}
Stick it on E-bay at a grand.
i would autotrader it at £995 with the full mot done, no road tax, no test drive,but 24 hour warranty as you are private,this way you lose the timewasters,you did the "proper" test drive to the mot yes?so you know your product is 100% right.
I may try ebay first as if its the right car, people can over-bid and I may get much more for it but set the reserve at about £950 and do a comprehensive write-up. For a special car ( and if you want an auto Clio this is one ) people do get a little silly. Im not getting it till the 12th of June so I have some time to decide what to do with it.

Im a bit worried about not taxing it though as some people like to be able to drive away right there and then, I shall have to see what the other costs are and decide if I can afford to tax it as it would sweeten the deal so nobody could have any objections about the car.
How much do I sell this for? - David Horn
It might just be me, but if it went for substantially more than I was expecting I would visit the said little old lady with a share of it. Obviously, cover your costs and make a bit of a profit, but this smacks of "Can I take this off your 'ands, luv?", and it's really not fair to her if you make a 150% profit on it. Particularly since you only visited to valet the thing!

Please don't take this post personally, it's simply my own view on the matter and what I would do. It's more than likely it's a sole opinion. ;-)
How much do I sell this for? - Chris M
You are not the only one. I have an elderly mother who lives alone and I know what I would do if someone ripped her off.

Chris M
so the man has offered to take a "m"reg clio worth £-35 with no mot
and a bit of free enterprise says that if he puts his time and effort into it he may turn a dollar,,,,,,,,,,well forgive me but this is exactly why this country now stinks.
what do you do for a living then david horn?
and what do you do chris m?
i give up.....................
Terribly inconvenient things, morals, aren't they?
Terribly inconvenient things, morals, aren't they?

in what respect?the man who posted is a valeter not a business man ,he asked for advise and apparently he is now robbing graves of the soon departed..........you havent said what business you are in?
How much do I sell this for? - Roobarb
I think £350 is about £300 too much to offer for an unused,un-moted 11 year old car...Does that mean I have no morals too?
I'm a student who also runs a small company that finances my way through uni. Like I said, my comment reflected my own, personal opinion, and was not to be taken as an attack on the OP. I was simply saying what I'd have done if it was me. Surely that's fair enough?
I would hardly say Im taking advantage - the car may have been owned by an elderly man for most of its life, but he gave it up and gave it to his grandson who's mother I clean cars for and she is only in her 40's so I doubt she will appreciate people thinking she is a mug!
Since it was brought down for the grandson, it has mearly sat around because he didnt really want it ( an automatic Clio is hardly a students dream car ) and now his mother wants her garage back and the grandson wants some spending money.

She also knows exactly what Im going to do with the car - I even suggested to her that she MOT and tax it but she said she wasnt going to spend the money and her son sure wasnt, they just want the problem to go away and £350 for a ten year old car with no T&T is a leap of faith to say the least and damn generous - the local garage offered her £100.

So no OAP has been conned Im afraid, just an opportunity has arisen due to the apathy of the cars owners and I happened to be in the right place at the right time - Im a car enthusiast so i get cars thrust upon me by customers every now and again - I even pay tax on the profit as I put it through my business. How many people you know who do that?
Good on you mate, and I hope you do well out of it:)
How much do I sell this for? - tommyboy
Consider the franchse dealers that allow old ladies £2k for 51 reg minters that end up out front for the best part of £5k. Much prefer the self employed making a living than the commercial concerns making a mint. Its not like employees in the motor trade will ever see more than a pitance.
Not that the lad is even dealer, mutually beneficial outcome, he might make a few quid, plus she won't have to brave an mot, advertise, or deal with callers. Thats presuming she's not a dodgy traders mother who's selling dud privately from the house. Its a misconception that its good business when the big boys fill their account but outragous when a sole trader makes a crust, think about it.
Im the kinda guy this government says it likes but secretly hates :) though its not so much of a secret these days!

Ive bought and sold a fair few cars over the years and I tell you what, even back when I was 18, I never sold a car with big issues and certainly nothing vaugely dangerous, yet a trader I used to work for has those RAC inspections, which say the inspector has driven the cars... but they never do because he sticks them four cars deep in the showroom and gives them a few quid instead - he once sold a Lotus Esprit with a fuel leak - I mentioned it and he said it had been serviced so wasnt his problem. I cringed!

In the valeting trade there are some seriously dodgy characters operating who pay no tax, cut serious corners and over-charge to naive customers, yet strangely, they are always advertising and me, who in four years of business advertised only in the first 6 months and now hardly have a minute to myself because I do business the british way, the old british way anyway.
I do an honest days work for an honest days pay and I do it well and treat my customers well and you know what, they trust me with security codes for their houses, leave me keys to cars worth more than my house and I get enough bottles of booze each year to open an offlicence.

Problem is, being honest and working hard has little reward finacially these days which is a real shame.
And for me to employ anyone which I wish I could, means so much hassle and risk that id rather stay small and thus buiness is stunted by red tape and legislation.

Thanks for all the supportby the way, I never thought this would go into ethics!

How much do I sell this for? - tommyboy
Nah, morals weren't it, thats philosophy, comprehensive empirical investigation of his discourse, thats what the lad needs.
How much do I sell this for? - geoff1248
No, he just needs a cuddle. I assume by the way that you will be declaring the profit you make on the car to the Revenue!!
How much do I sell this for? - sierraman
No, he just needs a cuddle. I assume by the way
that you will be declaring the profit you make on the
car to the Revenue!!

Read his earlier post.
See, I'm happy now I know the full story. :-)

Go for it.
Glad your happy - perhaps you should ask for the full story first before you judge - not a Social Worker are you? If not you shoul consider a career as one - they are great at pre-judging :)
Glad your happy - perhaps you should ask for the full
story first before you judge - not a Social Worker are
you? If not you shoul consider a career as one -
they are great at pre-judging :)

No mate, he's at Uni, costing everyone money!
How much do I sell this for? - Dynamic Dave
No mate, he's at Uni, costing everyone money!

And now back to motoring!

DD.