Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - rjtyrell
Hi,

Was just wondering what peoples thoughts are, I looking to get either a VW 2.0 Gti or Audi 1.8T Sport. I am looking to spend about £6000.

I am slighty more swayed to the VW as I will get more for my money. I know the Gti isn't that quick but I only want something that has power when needed eg motorways.

Should I get one form a delaer, of just go with FSH from ebay/autotrader?

Any views would be great.

Thanks.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - George Porge
Why not a Golf 1.8T? Test drive both and I'm sure you'll discount the 2.0l. 1.8T will hold its price better too.
well it was my insurance really, as I am only 23 the 2.0 would be £440 a year and the 1.8 would be £600, so quite a difference. And also i get a newer reg if i went for the 2.0 gti.

But I will have another look around if the general opinion is that a 1.8 gti would be the choice.

Thanks.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - smokescreen
I know the Gti isn't
that quick but I only want something that has power when
needed eg motorways.

Consider the TDi ?
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - George Porge
>> I know the Gti isn't
>> that quick but I only want something that has power
when
>> needed eg motorways.
Consider the TDi ?

I did'nt dare suggest that, the "smoke brigade" will arrive in their droves;-)

I have a mk4 Golf GT TDi pd on an X plate and its a very good car an easy 45mpg. There are a few common faults with A3 / Golf cars but they are'nt horrendously expensive to fix.

Don't forget too look at depreciation when making your decission, 2L will lose money fastest.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - y2k+4
I should point out that the 2.0 GTi mk4 really isn't worth it's price premium - the Focus 1.6 is barely any slower. The 1.8 is faster.

If you want a Golf, definately find yourself a TDi.
Yeah I see everyone pointing to the TDI, mileage isn't really an issue as I only do about 10K a year.

And the reason I have opted for a VW is I want something that is nice to drive, good build quality and something that will last for a good few years.

The only problem with the TDi's is trying to find one with low mileage.

But I will keep searching, one more thing is it worth buying one direct from VW and getting a years warranty or is it not worth the extra premuim?
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - shaun
I had a 2000 golf 2.0 GTI for two years. I liked it, good build quality nice looks etc. But it had no end of problems which were all fixed under warranty, if they hadn't have been i would have ended up spending a four figure sum to get it fixed. Also it tended to understeer very easily due to the heavy front end, it also didn't have much room in the back. Have you considered a Seat cupra or alike, or even BMW there are plenty of 3 serieas for that sort of money?
Fair enough, only 10k/yr and you might as well stick to a petrol.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - DavidHM
At 10k a year I'm not going to argue for a diesel but...

And the reason I have opted for a VW is I want something that is nice to drive, good build quality and something that will last for a good few years.

Nice to drive... I've not driven a GTi but I have driven a cooking Golf IV and whilst it was nice enough, its handling was wallowy and the steering lifeless. Engines are okay though.

Good build quality... very good perceived quality but reliability on the Golf is average and dealers expensive and often unhelpful. Find an indy and the parts prices are sensible though.

Something that will last for a good few years... well they hold their value well so expensive repairs are more likely to be economical. Cam belt change interval is only 40k though so that's at least one big expense within a maximum of four years.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - perleman
I got a 1.8T GTi last year, 150BHP standard - same engine as the Audi as you probably know. At time it was a big step up in performance from my 1.3 Fiesta! After a few months I got it chipped to 200BHP and it's a totally different car now, 0-60 in 6.9 and top speed of 145 on the clock (tested on the M5 at 1am for a few seconds).

The same can be done with the TDi's - a good balance of price performance is the 130BHP version that can be taken to 170BHP with bags of torque for just £400 more.

So my advice is, whichever one you get, (and I personally think the 5-6 year old Golfs look nicer than equivalent A3s), try to get a turbo one as you then have more flexibility to inexpensively improve the performance later by chipping.

Did they lower compression? Detonation an issue? How does it effect your insurance premiums?

The diesels tuned end up shreading tyres in 2nd gear if not careful!
Insurance went up by about £300 but mines so high anyway (£1100) that it didn't seem so painful. I had it done by Superchips, I'm hoping as it was all done by re-maping the whole engine management program, that they would have thought about these issues! Not much chance of spinning the wheels in the dry in 2nd but the increase in acceleration up hills, in 1st gear and at high speeds from 80-120 is marked.
Golf 2.0 Gti V Audi A3 1.8T - martnewts
I have just part exchanged an A3 1.8t after 3 and a half years of very satifying ownership. I have now got a seat leon cupra (180 bhp) and have to say the difference in performance is breathtaking the leon is so much quicker and more responsive. Also by getting a leon you will get a newer/lower mileage example of a very similar car to the gold or the audi
I take it your A3 1.8T was 150BHP model? the difference since I got mine chipped is staggering too. The reason why given to me by the garage is that it's naturally a 180BHP engine and VW detuned it at the time as they wanted the Skoda & Seat to look sportier by comparison. The thing is, it's just a engine management program that is the difference between the two cars as far as I know. That being said, you can still get another 20BHP out of yours by chipping it! Point taken about getting a newer model Leon for the money though.