Category D damage Repair ?? - DuncanSuperb
Can anyone enlighten me on this? I have seen a classified that describes the car as being a category D repair and hence heavily discounted. Should I avoid at all costs?
Category D damage Repair ?? - Happy Blue!
I refer you to, where you will find the answers!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=41...3
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Category D damage Repair ?? - blue_haddock
And remember whilst the car will be cheap now it will be worth even less come the time you want to sell it. It would be almost impossible to PX through a dealer.
Aha, I meant to add in my first posting that this may be a similar thread to the one below but wasn't sure... so it the same as a V car?
Yes it's a car thats been written off and is now recorded as such.

The 2 threads will probably get merged at some point soon.
So what is Cat A, B and C ? Can anyone confirm that Cat D is not an insurance-approved repair?
Cat A is a major write off - vehicle cubed and no part of it will ever be on the road

Cat B is hefty write off but the vehicle can be bought by a salvage yard and sold off as parts.

Cat C is a fairly hefty write off but it could be returned to the road however the insurer chose not to repair which is often cost led.

Cat D is usually fairly minor damage but insurer didn't repair. If the car is a few years old it doesn't take much damage for the bodyshop costs to write it off or the car was stolen and eventually recovered but the insurer had already paid out.

It is not an insurance approved repair - standard accident damage that is repaired on your insurance is not recorded. If you are not 100% sure what you are doing i would not contemplate buying the vehicle.
Many thanks b_h for the concise reply. Very helpful.
Category D damage Repair ?? - bell boy
if you dont mind bh i would like to update the categorie markings

A = Absolute junk i.e. the costs of collection & processing exceed any return from selling parts from the salvage.

B = Break for spares i.e. the costs of collection & processing are less than the probable return from selling parts from the salvage

C = Can be repaired, but the COR (Cost Of Repairs at dealer retail price) exceeds PAV (Pre-Accident Value) May need a Vehicle Identity Check (Government money making scheme, charging £36 to check a chassis number that has already been inspected)

D = Definitely repairable (& assessed COR less than PAV)

X = NOT recorded as damaged at HPI etc ie stolen recovered or minimally damaged cars^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a category c car may have this mark because of its age rather than damage it is not a cut clear case the categories are down to the individual assesor,but to original poster if you are not sure dont dabble but bare in mind that unless you hpi your potential purchase yourself then the "new" looking car may be a "v car" but the current owner has decided NOT to tell you
Category D damage Repair ?? - Dynamic Dave

Info from CMS Group Holdings Ltd (formerly Cleave Motor Salvage)

217.10.129.39/cms/abicodes.lasso