Is it wise to use 4 year old oil - alan kearn
Shortly I am going to change the engine oil in my Polo 1.4 tdi pd and I have two similar questions regarding this job.
First I have an unopened 1litre bottle of the special 500.01 oil that was in the car boot when the car was bought new four years ago, will this oil still be useable if I mix it with some new oil when I do the change or would I be asking for trouble doing this.
Second, the nearest place I can buy Millers 500.01 oil is fifteen miles from my home and I was thinking of buying enough for next years oil change. This would save me a return journey next year and my opinion is the oil will still be ok to use in a years time, am I right or wrong on this.

Thanks
Is it wise to use 4 year old oil - Roger Jones
Here:

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

you will find it says three years for engine oil. I've seen three years elsewhere too, but also longer. However, I would not worry about a sealed pint four years old -- sealed, mind you.

Therefore, you'll be fine if you buy enough oil for a couple of years or more.
Is it wise to use 4 year old oil - nortones2
If it IS 500.01, and not a typo, you have the the wrong oil for the PD TDI anyway. You need either 505.01 or 506.01.
Is it wise to use 4 year old oil - alan kearn
Yes I know its 505.01 I must have been dreaming when I typed the post thanks for pointing it out to me