What Else Can Match a C5? - happytorque
Sooner or later im going to have to think about replacing my Citroen C5. My problem is this; i want an everyday kind of car but my number one consideration is comfort. I need comfy seats and a plush soft ride. Sporty handling is of no interest as ive got a 140bhp bike to get my kicks. What i want most from a car is a compliant ride and big supportive seats. I drove my mates BMW 5 series (55 reg) last week and i couldnt believe how hard the ride was. So, has anyone got any recommendations or will i have no option but to buy another C5?
Cheers
Trev
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - y2k+4
I agree that this kind of car is rare. The majority of cars are in pursuit of 'sporty' and it's all too common that this is at the expense of ride quality. I think if I were looking for a fine-riding car I would consider either a Jag, a Renault or a Citroen.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Altea Ego
To match the ride comfort of your C5 It needs to be French.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - nutty_nissan
Short of buying a S class or Lexus LS430 with air suspension, I'd recommend sticking with the C5. For the money, nothing can touch it on ride quality.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Murphy The Cat
I'll be honest and say that I've never driven a C5.

But for space, economy and absolute comfort (as well as being the finest looking car on the road IMHO) a Chrysler 300C CRD would be well worth a test drive.

MTC

p.s. I'm biased, I've got one and I love it.
300Cs are smooth, but C5 ride quality is in a league of it's own until you get into super luxury money..
Oh happytorque, the other car I was going to suggest is the Cadillac Seville STS (the one Vauxhall sold as RHD a few years back). Those cars rode extremely softly, and made something like an E class (which has got a smooth ride) feel like it's riding on solid rubber tyres...The major services are every 100k, and they have depreciated significantly.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - David Horn
Rover 75? Only car I can drive 300 miles with no break and still get out feeling refreshed.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Pugugly {P}
4639999598 Bingo ! on E-bay
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - PhilW
"anyone got any recommendations"

Xantia HDi Exclusive !!!
--
Phil
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - happytorque
cheers guys; pretty much what i had feared. Something French?....tried a 407...very hard compared to the C5. And ive never warmed to any Renaults im afraid. One thing i forgot to say is it will most likely need to be a new car, rather than 2nd hand. That kind of rules out the xantia ;o)...i wonder how long before the tasty C6 will be selling at half price secondhand though??!! That might be a possibility.
cheers, Trev
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Armitage Shanks {p}
IMHO the C6 will be half price in 2 years!
300Cs are smooth, but C5 ride quality is in a league
of it's own until you get into super luxury money..

Hi Nutty nissan

as I said in my OP, I've never driven a C5 so I can't do an honest comparison.

But I can tell you that after several 300 mile trips I've stepped out of my 300C refreshed and happy, and that I would have be ready to do an immediate return if it had been demanded of me.

Big comfy seats
Acres of space
suspension tuned for high speed long distance touring.

IMHO, got to be worth a test drive (just make sure you take a diesel though).

MTC
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - MichaelR
Used Mercedes S320 CDI.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - machika
Used Mercedes S320 CDI.

He has said he wants a new car, so that discounts anything from Mercedes unless he is prepared to pay a lot more money.

My wife and I were out in our C5 on Saturday and, as we are both approaching our 60s, I said to her that I wouldn't want any other car unless its comfort matched the C5. In addition, the HDI engine is smooth and quiet with plenty enough power for me. When it gets replaced, it will have to be something very similar.
>> Used Mercedes S320 CDI.
>>
He has said he wants a new car, so that discounts
anything from Mercedes unless he is prepared to pay a lot
more money.

Is he insane? A used S Class will be a considerably better car in every way than a brand new Citroen C5 and I'd imagine the running costs will be dwarfed compared to the thousands and thousands the C5 will shed in value the second he turns the key.

I'm no anti-Citroen person, I have fond my memories of my Xantia but damn, buying a brand new one, utter lunacy it really is.

Leave new cars for people who don't know any better and people spending other peoples money and get yourself a quality car :)
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Adam {P}
Do you know something, I agree 100% with that.
Is he insane? A used S Class will be a considerably
better car in every way than a brand new Citroen C5
and I'd imagine the running costs will be dwarfed compared to
the thousands and thousands the C5 will shed in value the
second he turns the key.
I'm no anti-Citroen person, I have fond my memories of my
Xantia but damn, buying a brand new one, utter lunacy it
really is.

What do you think the maintenance costs of an S Class would amount to then? Are Mercedes spares reasonably priced?
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Dude - {P}
It has been mentioned many times on this forum, that a car is the sum of many parts, and you are assessing the C5 solely on it`s undeniably excellent ride, which I would agree has no others peers within it`s price range.

You are however overlooking the shoddy build quality, crass interiors, and dodgy electrics and why they feature close to the bottom of all the reliability surveys, which is why I would never consider buying one.!!!!
It has been mentioned many times on this forum, that a
car is the sum of many parts, and you are assessing
the C5 solely on it`s undeniably excellent ride, which I would
agree has no others peers within it`s price range.
You are however overlooking the shoddy build quality, crass interiors, and
dodgy electrics and why they feature close to the bottom of
all the reliability surveys, which is why I would never consider
buying one.!!!!

I don't agree about the crass interiors, as my wife and I find ours to a very pleasant change from the dull as ditchwater black and grey interiors found in most of the competition. I spent a fair amount of time in a Mondeo taxi whilst on holiday and found the interior of that to be very dull.

I would agree that Citroen launched the C5 without making sure it was properly sorted.
I'll be honest and say that I've never driven a C5.
But for space, economy and absolute comfort (as well as being
the finest looking car on the road IMHO) a Chrysler 300C
CRD would be well worth a test drive.
MTC
p.s. I'm biased, I've got one and I love it.

The Chrysler is not in the same price range. The discounts on the Chrysler are only around £500 on drivethedeal.com, whereas there is almost £5k off the price of the top spec C5, making a price difference of over £8k.

So its no contest, unless price is not a consideration.
The Chrysler is not in the same price range.

fair comment Machika

but as the OP did not mention a price budget, the only other car that he mentioned was a friends 55 plate 5 series, and his criteria was comfy seats and a plush soft ride, I thought that my opinion was (and is) valid.

MTC
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - barchettaman
Has the reliability been sorted on C5s now?
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Statistical outlier
The ride on an Accord with the standard 16" wheels is excellent, silky smooth tho probably not up to the C5. You'd hate the 17" wheels though, don't even consider them.
The problem we have is that nothing, simply nothing, this side of an expensive Mercedes or possibly a Lexus, will ride as well as a hydro Citroen.

So, if he wishes to match his current ride quality, he must either buy another C5, or buy something like an S Class.

I think the ride in my Mondeo is fine, and had I not owned a Xantia, I might well be posting 'Check the Mondeo the ride is fine'.

But once you've driven a hydraulic Citroen, you realise the ride is several leagues above fine - it is simply astounding and no conventional system comes close.
well, some interesting views there, some i concur with, some are very wide of the mark. I know that the C5 has a superb ride, i just wondered whether there was anything else out there where comfort took priority over the need for it to handle like its on rails. From the comments received it looks like my next car will have to be another C5. The main (only ?) problem with the C5 is its poor image, compounded by the views of those people who dont know the first thing about these unique cars. Most of the people who slag them off have never even driven one. We are told that they have poor interiors; this simply isnt true...they are a match for anything at this price level. Its the only car ive ever owned thats never creaked or rattled. Ive tried a Mondeo..not bad , but not a patch on the C5.
Has the reliabilty been sorted? Ive done 40,000 miles in my 2.0HDI and it never gives trouble. Its more reliable than my old Nissan. Popular opinion would suggest that the Nissan should have been more reliable; but it wasnt. If the only alternative is an S class, i think it will need to be another C5
Having read a test on the C6 (in Autocar) I would venture that this is the only car that would match a C5.
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - AlastairW
Would a Pug 607 do the job?
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Mondaywoe
Here we go again......

I'm just coming up to 60,000 miles from new in my C5 (2.2 HDI - arguably the very best engine option of all C5s) It had a few problems early on (it's a 2001 build - one of the first off the line) These were all taken care of under warranty.

So what has fallen off or doesn't work 100% properly at 60,000 miles? Nothing, zilch! Everything operates exactly as it did the day it came out of the showroom.

Cost of maintenance so far? Apart from the standard servicing costs - nothing, zilch! I have not paid a penny for out of warranty repairs because it hasn't needed any!

Yes, the suspension is superb. The 2.2 HDI is completely reliable, gutsy, smooth as cream - yet still economical.

Yes - they depreciate like a stone - if you're daft enough to sell them young. Look after them though and keep until they have depreciated to the same as other makes and they give excellent value for money - especially considering the generous cashback deals that Citroen always have.

Why not consider a 1-2 year old C5 - with balance of manufacturer's warranty?

Citroens don't break - ignorant people break them.

Graeme
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Ben79
Firstly, even in a C5 you should take regular breaks. You may feel comfortable but your mind needs a rest.

Secondly, I've not found a car as good as my C5. I'd buy another, but am more likely to look for a used C6!

The interior build quality is fine, nothing has dropped off the outside either. Running costs are average. Fuel economy is good. Engine is quiet and many people still question if it is a diesel.

Show me a car that is big, comfy, economical, cheap to buy, understated, low insurance and generously equipped. I'll show you my C5.

Ben
I like the C6 ! but would need to be convinced to pay 30k for it, Autocar raved about it.....
WHAT ELSE CAN MATCH A C5? - Big Bad Dave
Me too Pugugly, I think it?s an awesome looking car. I?ll be interested in seeing what they go for in a couple of year?s time.
i too like the look of the C6....hopefully they will be half price in about 18 months time...just spread the word that they are rubbish and we can pick up a bargain before too long. Im worried though as the press keep saying how good the C6 is. We cant have that.... before we know whats happening, these things will be holding their value and that would never do would it?!
These C6 things are rubbish !
Very true...ive heard they are pants!
NO, No, no. I've heard that they are absolutely fantastic as a brand new purchase but absolute rubbish as a 2/3yr old second hand buy. Do not go for one second hand.
--
Phil
This discussion has freed my mind. I'm going to go test drive a C5. I love the pillow soft ride of luxury cars, but can't afford to buy a S class (yet)!!
I'm never going to buy one but I too am going to try and get a go in a C5 just to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm sure my mate's Dad has one.
Dad's mate not mate's Dad!
Do they do a C5 in beige Adam ?
I've seen a new one in a champagny colour.

Who knows what next year will bring...
"beige"

Sable Gold - very similar to the Sahara Gold in which livery the Berlingo looks so fetching (even if it does does say beige on the V5!!)
--
Phil
What Else Can Match a C5? - mrmender
When i first saw this i thought what the Heck is sombody posting a thread about a Sinclaire....
What Else Can Match a C5? - ghostrider
Well this is interesting a non citroen dedicated site that thinks cits are great?!!! I am a confirmed citroen addict (and trying to get help for it) My wife and I run a pair of Xantias at the moment, one of which has been reliability personified the other has been an unmitigated dog despite me paying nearly twice as much for the unreliable one. So after nearly 30 years of exclusively running cits I am wondering whether it should be a C5 HDI estate or although smaller but allegedly loads more fun, reliable and economical a focus 1.8tdci? I reckon I've done close to a million miles in various hydraulic cits but apart from the Xantia I've never had a problem with the hydraulics, it has been everything else especially electrics and that's what puts me off the C5 all those gizmos are great but will they still work at say 6 years old?
What Else Can Match a C5? - Roobarb
Looking at the title, thought it was going to be about a Sinclair C5, more reliable:)
if this was 2001 that might have had a hint of humour.....wake up, its 2006!
What Else Can Match a C5? - geoff1248
I would agree that the ride quality of hydro Cits. is second to none and I do think you are going to have problems replacing your C5 at the price level. If you are happy with the C5 go for another one. One thing I have never understood is why other manufacturers haven't dumped the McStruts and gone hydraulic.
What Else Can Match a C5? - Sofa Spud
Two alternaive C5's for you -

Sinclair C5
www.sinclair-research.co.uk/c5/images/h-c5-l.jpg

Midland Red C5 motorway coach
www.sct61.org.uk/l/mr4808.jpg

Both a bit difficult to find nowadays, I should think!
What Else Can Match a C5? - Quinny100
Whilst the C5 rides very well, it is at the expense of body roll when cornering and the front/back lurching under hard acceleration and braking. Yes it adjusts itself pretty quickly but it's still noticeable. I used to own a Xantia and I would say that was actually more pleasant to drive than the C5. The controls on the Xantia and BX before it were unique and took a bit of getting used to, but the hydraulic steering and brakes actually worked very well. On the C5 the conventional power steering is woeful in terms of weight and feedback compared with other cars in the class and the brakes lack feel. It leaves the car feeling lardy and unresponsive. Its also an nightmare to drive on the motorway in a heavy crosswind. Its a much better car to be a passenger in than to drive.

My Mum avoids driving the C5 because "it's too big and feels like a bus", yet she'll happily drive my Mondeo which is as near as damn it the same length but is actually wider.

I'm not sure how much of the smooth ride is down to the hydraulics and how much is down to the trailing arm design of the rear suspension - even tin sprung trailing arm designs ride very well but still give decent handling.

I do 100 miles a day, largely on the M6 and most days have the choice of either a C5 2.2 HDi SX or a Mondeo ST TDCi. I usually choose the Mondeo, I only use the C5 to keep the mileage down a bit on the Mondy.
What Else Can Match a C5? - Chad.R
have the choice of either a C5 2.2 HDi SX or a Mondeo ST TDCi. I usually choose the Mondeo....

I'm probably one of the minority in the BR who actually like the C5 and would seriously contemplate a (used) C5 estate as my next car.....however given your choice, I'd take the Mondeo ST TDCi everytime too!
What Else Can Match a C5? - ziggy
I think nobody doubts the (Citroen) C5 has the best ride quality. It is something that is increasingly difficult to find in modern cars.

The question is does it go where you point it..?!
Well then, i think its fair to say that we are in agreement....the C5 has no equal at the price. So that settles it as far as im concerned. Comfort is my number 1 priority; everything else is secondary. The worries about unreliability dont concern me at all. I dont think the C5 is any worse than anything else. In 40,000 miles ive had no trouble, so i dont agree with all the doubters, im afraid. Anyway everyone is welcome to continue to believe that they are rubbish. Means we all continue to get £3000 cashback from Citroen in order to shift em!! cheers
What Else Can Match a C5? - LHM
How about a fully-restored CX GTi Turbo.

Go on, you know you want to....... :-)
What Else Can Match a C5? - ghostrider
Ah now there is a car which even now cuts it with the best for long distance high speed transport, I have stopped using mine whilst fuel is so expensive but once i've won the lottery/got a better job/ fuel gets cheaper that would be my preferred car apart from the awful ventilation system :-))))
What Else Can Match a C5? - NVH
fwiw i went for the 2.2 hdi because of the cruise control.
it has wider tyres than the 2.0, which makes the ride less smooth in daily use, and the £300 FAP catalyst filter exchange every 50-60k + timing belt at 90-100k.

a 2.0 with cruise would have been perfect.

2 year old used makes an excellent buy, but initial warranty was only up to 50k.
What Else Can Match a C5? - Ben79
a 2.0 with cruise would have been perfect.

I've got a 2.0 HDI with cruise control and a tuning box! Nearly the same power as the 2.2 but all the economy of the 2.0!

Jealous?
What Else Can Match a C5? - Pugugly {P}
Funnily enough I saw a white F plate CX in Tesco today - seemed like a minter.
What Else Can Match a C5? - Statistical outlier
I saw an absolutely mint black CX GT on Friday - very nice.

Also very helpful. It helped prove that Tomtom Traffic has some use occasionally. I left lichfield and saw the CX disappear off down the A38. I then got routed down the M6 and round Coventry on the A45 and A46 back to J13 of the M40.

I took the diversion as I figured that there must be something up on the M42 as TT never normally gives directions that daft. Was swearing to myself about stupid gadget and stupid route having taken ages, when just before Banbury (J9) said CX went past like a bat out of hell doing about 90.

Assuming that he'd got caught in whatever traffic problem I'd avoideed, a bit of a result for the gadget this time. Perhaps I should trust it more, but I'm always wary as you never find out what you're avoiding, just the route it's recommending.

Gord.
What Else Can Match a C5? - Ben79
Todays Autoexpress reviews the C6, it came above the Saab! (But below the Jag S type).

Looks stunning on the outside, nice door trims, but the dashboard looks a bit like a Fiat Tipo with the electronic display.

I still want one though.
What Else Can Match a C5? - NowWheels
Funnily enough I saw a white F plate CX in Tesco
today - seemed like a minter.

I knew they'd moved well beyond being a groceries-only operation, but my local Tesco doesn't sell anything quite that interesting.

;)
What Else Can Match a C5? - farmideas

Having had my 11 plate C5 Exclusive (hydro suspension) I think you'd be hard pushed to find anything that rides better. Passengers can't get over the silence, and road noise is low. The unfashionable tyres with walls do what they were originally designed to do, soak up uneven surfaces. Low profile is the norm today and it's uncomfortable. The seats are more airline er than car and you get in in Newcastle and get out in Hereford without a twinge. The cruise control is complex and therefore frightening - my Vectra one was less clever but more understandable. So go for it! My low mileage (24k) needed a new clutch at 40k. The plate was worn to the rivets on one side. He garage fitted a new DMF at the same time. I'm guessing there was some corrosion in there which prevented the plate from releasing properly. Before I go, the other thing is the lightness of all the controls. Steering is never more than a finger... it reminds me of the drive I had years ago in a 1960s DS and also the two BX we had in the 80s MPG is 48 (2 litre 160 engine)

What Else Can Match a C5? - nellyjak

Given this thread is 18 years old, I'd guess the OP has already made his choice (possibly several times by now)..

What Else Can Match a C5? - Andrew-T

Given this thread is 18 years old, I'd guess the OP has already made his choice (possibly several times by now)..

Must have come from a chatbot or something like that ....

What Else Can Match a C5? - leaseman

Poster has been a Forum member for nearly 10 years......but I can't make head nor tail of what their point or motive is!