braided brake hose burst?? Golf mk2 - steveo3002
i have a set of braided brake hoses on my car, i got them beacuse i understood they were pretty much bullet proof and would last way longert than standard rubber ones

today on the mot brake tester one burst..it spilt open! anyone heard of them failing before? i half worried that another might burst when im braking hard one day. should i take it up with the company?

one other thing..the pedal went to the floor and it looks like its lost all the fluid, i thought modern cars (its a golf2) had a split diagonal so that 2 brakes would still operate in such a emergency
braided brake hose burst?? - madf
Did you buy a recognised brand or was it a cheap no name type. If the latter you now know why it was cheap. If it was a branded one an dyou still have receipt phone manufacturer, get their warranty department and send in a claim.

If they are reputable.(which I somehow doubt).

madf
braided brake hose burst?? - George Porge
Has the outer braiding been rubbing against the damper body? Who firtted the hoses and have they ever been clamped?
braided brake hose burst?? - steveo3002
theyre goodridge brand...fitted from new by me, cliped to the strut as they should be, and i never use clamps on them( dont think they would clamp anyway..apppear to be hard nylon ?)

no evidence of chaffing or any other reason for it to burst

all i can imagine is that a big rock has flown up and belted it? im sure they may well offer to replace it, but ive lost a little faith in them now...after all i would have been in a real mess if it had failed on the road

any ideas if all 4 wheels should have lost the brakes?..i thought the split system was a saftey feature
braided brake hose burst?? - Civic8
Very much doubt the braiding would cause a pipe failure,I would say it was an internal pipe fault,ie a crack made worse by pressure of breaking.

Braiding helps stop any outside damage to pipe, but for inside to go suggests a problem with pipe internally.

And as mentioned a pipe grip used to tight may cause it?
--
Steve
its never had a hose clamp on it...i do all my own work and never use em, i quit using them years ago after a rubber hose got a buldge in it shortly after being clamped

braided brake hose burst?? - Civic8
>>its never had a hose clamp on it

Internal failure,I would be surprised if external failure and would be easy to spot!
--
Steve
braided brake hose burst?? - bikemade3
Considering we test locally manufactured braided hydraulic hoses at work to twice the max system pressure and hoses that we buy are certified to 21/2 time the pressure, i'd say your hose had an internal fault.
Every hose i've made and tested to 6000PSI has passed with no faults.
braided brake hose burst?? - bell boy
send it back to the manufacturer this shouldnt happen on a cooking car
braided brake hose burst?? - David Horn
Yep, reckon Goodridge will sort you out. I put their hoses on my bike and it made a massive difference to the firmness of the braking.

I suspect that if you'd pumped the pedal you'd have restored partial braking.
david...pumping the pedal had little/no affect on braking, theres no way i could have stopped it with the foot brake
braided brake hose burst?? - pmh
Was it bought from a reputable source or is there the possibility of being a counterfeit copy? (Remember a local retailer may have bought in good faith).

The manufacturers will be able to identify this. Did you keep the packaging?

If it was mine, I think I would be changing all the others pretty quickly anyway. Batch manufacturing problem?
--

pmh (was peter)

braided brake hose burst?? - tr7v8
Get it replaced & send it to Goodridge they're on the Exeter Airport estate, a google will get an address. In 30 odd years of motoring some with competition cars & aircraft maintenance, I've never heard of anyone bursting a braided hose.
yeah it was brought from what should be a reputable vendor, came in proper box with warrenty card etc. i dont have the packet but have the warrenty card and receipt

braided brake hose burst?? - adverse camber
I have heard of problems with braided hoses. there was a lot of discussion on one of the porsche bb's a few years ago. one of the race teams also reported probs iirc.

Often people notice an improvement because they replace aged standard ones with new braided. but then you cannot see the condition of the hose or abrasion damage untill they fail.
braided brake hose burst?? - sierraman
I fitted these to an MGBGT as they came with the telescopic damper kit.Both hoses failed,one by the disc union, the other in the middle.Examination revealed carpy plastic pipe in the middle,it relied in the braid for it's strength,so once the braid became weak the pipe would inevitably fail.I do not know the brand,but having seen what happened I would not use them,the MG has been fitted with standard rubber flexi.
braided brake hose burst?? - David Horn
Isn't this a fundamental safety flaw with the car then? Can imagine in an emergency stop at high speeds the pipe bursting and complete braking being lost. You're really lucky that it happened on the MOT test, though I bet the garage wasn't thrilled at their rolling road being drenched in brake fluid!
braided brake hose burst?? - GGH
Golf mk2 front brake hose outer skin cracking/splitting inside the damper rubber support is a well known problem. It was first brought to my attention at a MOT test, they knew all about it. You have to move the rubber support out of the way along the hose to see if there is any damage at that point. I have never had a hose burst.
braided brake hose burst?? Golf mk2 - GGH
I never got more than 4 years from standard Golf mk2 front brake hoses. The outer skin of the hose would crack where it was supported by the damper.I have not had the same problem on the mk3.
so do you think i should just take a replacement if they even offer me one ..or should i kick off about it??

im not really out for trouble,im chuffed it happened when it did..but people could have died over that faulty pipe
braided brake hose burst?? Golf mk2 - pastyman
Goodridge braided hoses are made from a set of parts comprising of hose and unions and banjo bolts. Its is not unknown for owners wishing to fit these items to overtighten the compression nuts whilst trying to get a better alignment of the hoses to avoid kinks in them, or just general overtightening, both of which could cause a weakness in the hose. All this aside, ihave fitted Goodridge hoses to a Honda CB500S and a Suzuki Bandit N1200, both of which performed faultlessly. Goodridge a well established and very reputable make respected by the motorcycle and motorsport fraternity alike. I would be very suprised if it was their product that was at fault due to a production fault.
(I have no connection with Goodridge whatsoever, apart from being a satisfied customer.)

Pastyman.
braided brake hose burst?? Golf mk2 - jc2
Just a thought.Was the hose the right length?.Original hoses are designed so that the are sufficient for the full suspension travel and not so long that they form unnecessary curves/loops.If they are not the right length ,failures could be down to this.For people who wish for extra protection for their hoses(lot of off-road) both metal-spring and plastic protectors are available to fit over a std. hose-indeed you can buy new hoses with the metal protectors already on.
yeah they were the correct ones , right length and all that. i take very good care of my cars and cant help but think if i have done something to cause a failiure then im sure many others have done far worse than me

funnily enough brand new goodridges have a thick plastic sleeeve molded over the braid, i wonder if they improved them for some reason..all i can think of is maybe a stone flew up and damaged the braid???