Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - wobblyboot
Just been under my car having a quick look round as the MOT is due in a couple of weeks, and I've noticed one of the rear shocks is leaking oil, is this an automatic MOT fail point? I don't want to have to pay a retest fee, but I'm not in a position to buy some more shocks for a month or so.
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - Xileno {P}
Yes.
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - Chris M
Depending on the car, new shocks may be cheaper than a re-test.

ChrisM
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - Mike H
This isn't an MOT issue, it's a roadworthiness issue. Whatever the MOT says, it's still faulty!
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - Number_Cruncher
>>is this an automatic MOT fail point?

Yes!

Number_Cruncher
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - martint123
Maybe: www.motuk.co.uk/manual_270.htm

3. A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid seal of a shock absorber has failed.
Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - Number_Cruncher
Maybe: www.motuk.co.uk/manual_270.htm
3. A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid
seal of a shock absorber has failed.

Yes, this is a very pedantic point in the rules, because you may get a very small, but acceptable, leakage past a piston rod type seal, but, typically, no more than a few drops of oil over the lifetime of the damper. You need to be looking very closely to see it!

If, however, you can see oil running down the side of the damper tube, or a damp patch in the dust around the top of damper tube, then it's clear that the seal has failed.

I would be very surprised indeed if the OP has detected an acceptable leak - it's safe to say that the dampers should be changed.

Number_Cruncher

Leaking shock - MOT Fail Point? - wobblyboot
Thank you for your replies. New shocks it is