Vauxhall CD Players - stonefish
Dear Backroomers

The Vauxhall CD player I have (CDR500 I think) needs a code and has the word 'SAFE' displayed on the menu. According to the manual it means the code has been tried 10 times without success and needs referring to Vauxhall. They say they can order the original code for about £20.

Some guy at Vauxhall told me I need to leave the CD switched on and standing a few hours with the engine off to 'clear the memory'. Has anyone had any experience of this ?

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Thank you
Regards A
Vauxhall CD Players - cheddar
IIRC on the two Vectras I had the radio turned itself off after an hour if left on without the key in, this may not be the case if the key is in position one however. The hour delay might be adjustable (it is on my Mondeo) though you would need full access to adjust it.

Dont leave the car unattended with the keys in it to try to clear the memory, you will not be insured if someone takes it.
Vauxhall CD Players - Altea Ego
If you leave it powered on, and it clears the memory, all it gives you is the chance to put in another 10 bad attempts at putting in the code before it locks up again.

If you aint got the code it aint gonna work.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Vauxhall CD Players - Victorbox
"SAFE" is what comes up when the power has been broken & the unit needs the code put in for the first time as well. For example my wife's brand new Corsa had its CD player showing SAFE from new because they'd forgotten to input the code in the PDI.
Audio manual is here as a downloadable pdf: www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/owners/getallmanuals.do
Thanks guys.
Vauxhall CD Players - Dynamic Dave
victorbox,

Your link doesn't work. You now need to sign up (it's free, btw) to be able to download manuals. Vauxhall have stopped people from downloading manuals without first signing up.

That aside,

Stonefish, does the display say "10 ----" ? If so, then 10 attempts are remaining.

Full info here:-

img311.imageshack.us/img311/4616/code4pj.jpg

The more times you get the code wrong, the longer the waiting period before you can enter it again. After the first two attempts, the wqiting time is 10 seconds. After this, the wating time is increased to 10 minutes. With each further attempt the waiting time is doubled, reaching 640 minutes by the ninth attempt. Each time the power to the radio is disconnected (even just by turning off the ignition key), the waiting period starts again from scratch. When you get to a huge waiting time, it's best to remove the stereo from the car and connect it up to a separate power supply.
Thanks Dave