Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - mss1tw
Seems to be a comfortable car on a budget, but I'd like to have a proper sit/drive in one before acting.

If you have one and wouldn't mind, let me know. Can meet at a pub of your choice, and have a pint or three on me. ;o)
Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - RB
I don't own or drive one anymore, but I did own a 2002 1.9TDi SE for a couple of years.

I liked it a lot - nicest appearance IMHO of that generation of VW Golf-based cars. Very comfy, lots of useful toys, good performance and very impressive fuel economy. They are also comparitively rare, so it's nice to be in something a bit "different". (I can't cope with the new Toledo shape though!)

The boot is truly huge, although the opening/lid is quite narrow, and often I had to climb right in to retrieve things that had rolled to the far side.

Unfortunately I had a couple of warranty probs that a lot of VW cars seemed to have a phase of - new aircon pump and turbo were needed at about 18 months, but the dealer was very efficient and helpful.

Mine was a dark metallic grey colour and came with very pale beige upholstery. That was the only thing that I realised I'd made a mistake of - it shows all the tinyest of marks on the seats and pale trim - but that's not the fault of the make of car!

So, hope this helps.

I know that HJ rather liked them as well.
Excellent, cheers RB.
Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - bell boy
im sure its been said many times before but you will find a booted variant on the same platform is always a more solid car (driving wise) the ones ive owned were orion and cavalier come to mind but the most important thing to remember is that if you ever decide to sell then they (ie cars with a boot) are very difficult to sell as jo public in this country want a hatch for trips to ikea/the tip etc and therefore your market for selling is very small,for this reason although i like booted cars i havent had one for 5 years at least
Cheers oldman, some good advise there.
Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - Stuartli
The Toledo (as it has been for quite some time) and its Skoda stablemate, the Octavia, are great buys - VWs at much lower prices and sometimes with extra equipment.

I have the Bora equivalent, but previous to that had had two Jettas on which the Toledo of the early 1990s was based. Like the Octavia, that was actually a hatchback...:-)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Was it comfortable?
Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - Nomag
I've had an 03 TDi 110 SE for two years and 30k miles (40k on the clock now). In terms of reliability it's cost me nothing except four tyres and routine servicing. The only minor problem which has occurred was a squeak from the rear which turned out to be the back seat catches- fixed quickly by the dealer.

I would echo what others say about the unpopularity of the saloon car in this country being in your favour here. The Toledo is very well equipped for what you pay. Drawbacks? Well the rear seat space is limited, no worse than other cars based on the golf IV platform but certainly its tight for passengers and I wouldn't recommend it for four adults for any length (having said this I drove to Germany with my wife and parents last year and with no complaints from the back seat!).

Personally I find the seats very comfortable, and don't get any discomfort after long journeys. They aren't as firm as those in the Golf IV, but they are supportive. A comment from my collegue who drives a Bora was that you sit "in the Toledo" whereas you sit "on the Bora" - if that makes any sense! I think the comfort issue is certainly helped by both L and R foot rests and cruise control!
Any Toledo (99-05) drivers on here? - Stuartli
>>whereas you sit "on the Bora">>

I have to quibble with this comment as my Bora's seats are not only extremely comfortable but also firm enough to ensure you arrive feeling fresh even after long trips.

They are also feature excellent height, seat and back adjustments, coupled with a reach and rake steering wheel.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by