Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - bobda
I've suddenly developed a new noise when the car is under load (ie - not at idle) at around 1500-2300 rpm.

Where I used to get a hint of turbo whistle, I now get a noise which can only be described as a whirring/whooshing noise. It sounds like something spinning and it only does it when accelerating, and stops as gradually as it starts.

It's only started in the last day and the performance doesn't appear to have altered much, although (and it may just be my imagination) the turbo doesn't seem to be following itself through on gear changes as much as it used to and the engine appears to run on for a fraction of a second longer after I flick the key off.

What could it be? I'm almost certain it's something in the turbo area, but I'm not well versed on the workings of turbos, so I don't really know what to look for.

It's a 2002 S40 1.9 TDCi which has done 61000 miles with a remap at 60000 (if that makes any difference).
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - Peter D
Sounds like you have an air leak on the output side of the turbo. Check all pipes. Regards Peter
Cheers.

I checked as best I could (I don't know much about turbos) and found a slight patch of oil, on the turbo manifold (I think) at a join.

I've circled it in this picture.
upload.alfa145.com/files/25/DSC00662_a_mod.jpg

Could a new gasket on the join solve my problems?
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - dieselhead
It could be but check the bolts are reasonably tight before replacing. Could also be a leaking inlet manifold gasket so worth nipping up bolts on that too.
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - none
Leaking joints / gaskets tend to 'whistle' as the point of leakage can't open any more. Split hoses tend to 'Whoosh' as they open more under pressure.
Thanks for the replies.

I've had another good look at it and there is a fair bit of oil on the bottom of the turbo inlet hose.

The noise (which is more of a whooshing/sucking noise) has become a bit more prominent.

Is there an easy way of checking where it's coming from, baring in mind that the noise only really appears when the engine is on boost/under a slight amount of load, making it difficult to check at idle?
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - dieselhead
Possible to spray suspect joints with a leak detector spray and check for bubbling or you could use a paintbrush and washing up liquid solution to do same job. Just paint it on and give the motor some beans and see if it bubbles.
I've had a good root around under there today and I can't see, feel or hear anywhere that there may be an air leak on a hose or joint, pre or post turbo.

The noise only appers on boost, when the turbo is spooling up and is definitely related to the amount of load on the engine.

At higher revs (over 2500ish) there is nothing at all. I'm guessing here, but it's like the car builds up a higher pressure at lower revs and this is escaping somewhere.

Is there anywhere else I should be looking for air losses, or am I going to have to fork out on some kind of leak test at a garage?
Well chaps, it's not a turbo hose leak.

Took it into a Volvo dealer yesterday and they hooked it up to the diagnostics machine and found nothing unusual.
They also checked the hoses and found nothing.

I took it back today to demonstrate the noise to a senior technician and he heard it.
Yesterday, they put it down to normal boost noise, but it hasn't always been there, it just started one day.

I am now erring more towards some kind of valve that may have stuck open, a friend mentioned a recirculation valve of some kind which it could be.

I know about cars, but I don't know enough detail about how turbos work.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.
...and if it makes any difference it's a 1.9 Renault DCi engine, which I seem to be reading more and more about in the technical bit of this site...
Oh dear...

Just had a conversation with the Volvo dealer and they reckon it needs a new turbo, along with some kind of EGR valve fault.

Volvo will contribute 50% towards the EGR valve problem, but not towards the turbo.

Recomemndations...
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - Xileno {P}
What are the service intervals and what oil was used?
Service intervals are every year or 12000 miles.

It's just passed 62000 miles and it was serviced officially up to 50k and the 62k service was done by a non-franchise Volvo dealer.

I don't know about the oil, always with the recommended type of oil as it was always serviced officially.
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - Altea Ego
Tell us about this remap...........
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Tell us about this remap...........

What would you like to know?

Done by a reputable company, well within the limits of the car according to the chap who produced the map for me.
And your turbo noise started 1000 miles later?

Either way, if Volvo find out the 50% contribution flies out the window....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's not the case for the EGR valve fault, it's a known fault (I've had a look at a few forums now and it's a badly designed valve, apparently) and they cover 50% of the cost, whatever happens.
It looks from the EGR point of view, that if not caught early it can damage the turbo, cause very rough running or worse still, cause dieseling.

I'm passing the details of the garage I bought the car from onto Volvo tomorrow to see if they have any kind of comeback on the '1000s of cars they have on display'. I've not even had it for 4 months and it's literally 4 months and 9 days out of it's 3 year Volvo warranty.

I'm tempted to take their recommendation of new turbo with a pinch of salt and just get the EGR valve replaced. I'll want to shop around for the best price and if I can do it myself, then I will and save on the 3 hours labour they quoted me.
"and they cover 50% of the cost, whatever happens"

Not if they catch you with a remap they dont.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - Civic8
>>well within the limits of the car according to the chap who produced the map for me.

It might be,but this type of mod is usually done at owners risk,not manufacturers,and warranty normally states, any modifications made invalidate any warranty on vehicle.

And will probably make insurance invalid unless informed,ie its not standard
--
Steve
Let us ignore the remap for a second here.

The EGR valve fault is a KNOWN fault on these engines and as such, Volvo have agreed that any EGR valves that need to be replaced will be covered 50% by them.
The EGR valve, if it sticks open or closed can cause premature turbo failure as it gets too hot.

.*********

How can I tell if my turbo is on it's way out?

why?

If they find out they will not pay the costs. I am really not sure how many different ways I can put it.

Now what other patch of sand do you wish to stick your head into?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
why?

Because I'm trying to establish a legitimate cause for the £1k bill I am likely to come across if it turns out I DO need a new turbo.

Many MANY other owners with Renault DCi engines (admittedly, usually Renaults!) have also experienced premature turbo failure.
If they find out they will not pay the costs. I
am really not sure how many different ways I can put
it.

They won't find out. I'm 100% sure of that.
Now what other patch of sand do you wish to stick
your head into?

I hear Formby beach is nice this time of year!
Why has my reply been edited?

I think I mentioned something about trying to get them to identify a fault and taking their diagnosis of turbo knackered with a pinch of salt.

What's up with that??
Odd new turbo noise - Volvo S40 D - Dynamic Dave
Why has my reply been edited?

It wasn't edited. You upset the swear filter and it nuked your reply. Mild expletives only get partially deleted, but more "hard core" expletives get totally obliterated. That's not an open invitation for anyone to try, btw.

If you think the word (or words) were not of an expletive nature, then email it / them to me and I'll look to see if the filter isn't playing up.

DD.
It wasn't edited. You upset the swear filter and it nuked
your reply. Mild expletives only get partially deleted, but more "hard
core" expletives get totally obliterated.

Aaah, I see. I recall there being a very mild expletive in there!

Thanks for clearing it up.