M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - adverse camber
Hi,

I have to go from York to Bordon tomorrow, setting off from York at 10am, doing a quick collection and coming straight back. This isnt through choice :(

I am intending M1/M25/A3, how bad can I expect the M25/A3 to be? Its a while since I have done this journey, I assume that the eternal M25 widening is complete ? How is the A3 ?

Is there any point waiting out some of the rush hour off the a3 somewhere or should I push on the the M1 first ?

thanks

Mark
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - Thommo
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH.

Come off M1 at 15A and take A43 to M40 and M40 to M25.

Under all circumstances avoid M1 J9 to 6A (and back the other way) the road works there are blocked solid almost 24/7.

Avoid at all costs.
Thanks Thommo

that could have been a disaster.

M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - ChrisMo
Did this route the other week from wetherby to the A3 in surrey.
We didn't get any hold ups at all.

Don't be in too much of a hurry on the A43, or you'll be contributing to the speed camera thread!
Watch the roadworks on the M40 as the A43 filters in. Cameras everywhere.

Chris
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - Altea Ego
a1 to m25, m25 to a3, then a3

that should all be ok

coming back will be a pig you will hit all the traffic
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - henry k
coming back will be a pig you will hit all the traffic

>>
TVM
Is A31, Frimley, M3 Bagshot, Bracknell, M4 east A404 worth a try?

Using the A3, IIRC Hindhead could be a real poor start home.
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - Altea Ego
Hindhead will be fine, the traffic will be going the other way and jammed up the hill from guildford > portsmouth

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - Thommo
Good point Chris.

One camera each way on the A43. Towards the M40 from the M1 its just past the Silverstone turn. See the sign for the dog kennels and its just over the ridge. Towards the M1 from the M40 its just before the Green Man pub. Check it out on you way out.

As the A43 filters on to the M40 narrow lanes and a camera almost immediately on joining the motorway and another one about 1 mile further on.
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - Avant
I'd suggest that from M25 you come off on to M3. M3 to J4 then A331 / A31 / A325. A3 seems too far south.

A325 is the only bit of single carriageway.
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - drbe
Suggest that while in/on/around the M25 area, you listen to LBC - 1152 AM has traffic updates every 10 minutes "on the 1's" i.e. 11 minutes, 21 minutes etc past the hour.

If reception is not too good, try 97.3 FM, the updates are, I think, every 30 minutes at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour.
Thanks everyone. Im off to get the van now.

I may be some time....
Thanks for the advice. Journey was still unpleasant. ended up leaving York at about 10:30, getting to Bordon at 5pm. I diverted off the A1 at Newark to grab a sarnie at waitrose and get round the queue for the roadworks. The Northbound queue was huge.

A1 was then fairly quiet, as was first bit of M25. M25 and A3 were busy - esp where the A3 drops to 1 lane. I came back following the recommendation up to the M3/M25/M40/A43/M1.

The van was a vivaro ? which was OK but rather noisy esp over 3000rpm and had a carp radio. Got back to Ripon at 10:30pm although I made several coffee stops and kept the speed down on the later stages to avoid having to put any more fuel in.

I followed a Citroen C1 for a while, interesting little thing - never seen one before, are they sold in the UK ?
M25/A3 tomorrow evening :( - boxsterboy
Yes, as are the virtually identical Pug 107 and Toyota Aygo - made in Eastern Europe (Czech Republic or Slovakia IIRC).