Mondeo or Passat diesels - zarqon
I know this is a popluar topic but I need a quick refresher on the decision factors.

For £13k I can get either a Mondeo Ghia X 155 diesel or a Passat Highline 130. Both cars are available locally and the trade in offers similar. I will be starting a new contract on May 2nd and doing 40k miles p.a. so I want reliabilty and comfort and need to buy this weekend.

What does the team think?

Cheers
MPZ
Mondeo or Passat diesels - quizman
Passat every time, for reliability, comfort and good residual values.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Wales Forester
Highline spec isn't much compared to the Ghia X though....
Mondeo or Passat diesels - type's'
A colleague did similar mileage in his diesel mondeo estate with no problems at all.
I actually think it rides better than the Passat I had (The handling was not great at all on the VW where as Mondeo handling & comfort is superb) which is a factor when spending so much time in the car.
The reliability index on this site also says the Mondeo is more reliable.
The Passat will hold it's value better though and carry's a bit more Kudos in the eyes of the British motoring public.
In summary I think the Mondeo is the better car although the Passat is perceived to be the better.
I think I am correct in saying that Ford used some designers ex-VW for the mondeo - hence the similar silohette of the 2 cars.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Quinny100
The 2.2 TDCi engine is great and has a much wider torque band than the VW engine. I've also found mine to be more economical than the 2.0, especially on the motorway where it returns well over 50mpg on a run.

I'm not sure the residuals will be much better on the Passat - the new model is out now which will hit the last of the old shape cars hardest.

Ford parts and servicing are generally cheaper than VW. Also the Ford is a chain cam engine so that'll save you about £450 for a timing belt change @ 70k on the VW.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - rtj70
I have had a Passat and a Mondeo. Mondeo has had one fault in 2.5 years so far and Passat had a total of 6 (in 3.5 years) and one of them was on day one (faulty turbo sounding like a jet taking off).

You pays your money.... and people assume VW reliable.

P.S. My previous VW was a Golf GTI 1.8T and that needed a new gearbox and some new locks from day one!

Mondeo or Passat diesels - DavidHM
Everyone makes a standing joke of this site's love affair with the Mondeo tdci - but as a business proposition it makes an awful lot of sense, as well as being a damn good car.

Mondeo depreciation from list price is disastrous but that's why no one pays list price - nor are you; presumably you're looking at 1-year-old cars for that money.

For me, it would be the Mondeo. It feels so much sharper than the Passat, it's better equipped, quicker, and is a more refined, modern design.
I didn't add the Passat Sport (not Highline) I had was carp on A roads. Really wallowed in corners an that's on the "lowered" sport suspension.

The Mondeo is so much better. Often it's my ability that's probably lacking but you knew when the Passat was out of it's depth.

When the current shape Mondeo came out I was very negative. But have one and like it a lot now. But it's design was led by an ex-VW engineer ;-)
Just reread the original question. If it were my money, a Mondeo. I base this judgement on my experience of having a Mondeo and previously a Passat. Also VW servicing was poor and Ford has been good and probably cheaper.

And a GHIA X is miles better equipped than the highline and the 2.2 150PS Mondeo engine is a lot more powerful and has more torque than the old PD engine in the VW.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - cheddar
No Brainer, a Ghia X 130 would win hands down though the 155 offers that extra edge in performance.

The Mondeo wins on every count, it drives better, handles better, is much more refined and much more powerful though will be similarly economical, it is also in the respective trim levels much better equipped. Furthermore the Mondeo is likely to be more reliable, cheaper to service and you should have a better experience with Ford dealers.

The only area where the Passat may score is wind noise, the Passat is very good re wind noise at m/way speeds where as the Mondeo can suffer a little around the doors however at such speeds the VW engine will be thrumming and the Ford wafting by comparison.

Thanks for the replies.

I had nearly signed up for the Mondeo but had a wobble when I saw the Passat advertised locally - but you have confirmed my original thoughts - its the blue oval for me.

Cheers

MPZ
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Roly93
They are both good cars, in fact in terms of driveability I would say the Mondeo has the edge, however for longevity, solidity and resale value, the Passat is the choice.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Martin Sweeney
Even compared to the Passat, the interior of the Mondeo seems cheap, dated and painfully dull. In terms of comfort and the feelgood factor, if I had to do 40k in one of these cabins it would definitely be the classier and more solid Passat. That said the Mondeo definitely handles better than the Passat and with the 155bhp engine, I would probably compromise and take the Mondeo.

Truth be told I would have neither of them without having carried out exhaustive searches for an Accord cdti or an S60D5 SE.
Even compared to the Passat, the interior of the Mondeo seems
cheap, dated and painfully dull.>>

I really cannot understand this comment, the interior layout of the current Mondeo is both contemporary in design and excellent in layout, the materials used compare well with it's competitors and the equipment levels are superior to most, particularly in Ghia X trim. That being said I do prefer the dash of my 2002 model compared to the facelift cars where the "machined" effect rubber on the dash top and binacle has been replaced by a leather effect, rather a retrograde step.

Furthermore the Mondeo does not light up like a Christmas tree when you turn the ignition on, none of the mix bright red, blue and orange lighting that afflicts most VWs and Audis these days, instead a nice subtle and adjustable green back light.

The 97 to 05 Passat really took the game forward in interior trim standards when it was launched however others have now caught up or surpassed it.
Maybe you don't understand because you've become enured to your car's interior. We all do it. When I had my Alfa I had countless hire cars and could compare models; and the Mondeo sticks in my memory for having good handling and a dreary interior which made my heart sink. It's not a question of equipment levels. Subsequent test drives in facelifted models stuffed full of kit and leathered up have done little to change my opinion and IMO the Mondeo, like the Vectra, have improved dramatically but never caught up with the Passat in this respect.

I don't recall an Audi which lights up in red, blue and orange but IIRC the Passat's dashboard lighting was blue and universally praised for it's clarity and whenever I had one to drive it was a great place to spend a journey. I'm pretty sure that the lights in the A4 and A6 are almost entirely red and are wonderful for whereas now that you remind me, I seem to remember thinking that the Mondeo's green backlight contributed to the dinginess.

I still think that the Accord or S60 would be a better choice than either of them.
>>> I don't recall an Audi which lights up in red, blue and orange >>

I was shown over an A6 3.0 TDi Quattro last December, I thought it looked very seasonal once the ignition was switched on and the dash was illuminated, I recall commenting as such on here at the time, while the blue backlight is quite pleasant I find the green less distracting however a neutral backlight as employed by Vauxhall for many years is equally effective, no need for all of these coloured bulbs/filters at all.
I'll have a look this evening but I am quite sure that I'll find that the dashboard lighting is neither blue nor orange but resolutely red......possibly with some white highlights on the dials. I can offer no explanation for what you thought you were looking at.

None of which of course has any bearing on the Mondeo's cabin or OP's query.
I'll have a look this evening but I am quite sure
that I'll find that the dashboard lighting is neither blue nor
orange but resolutely red......possibly with some white highlights on the dials.

I agree we have rather drifted off track, just to say I am not only talking about the dash illumination though also the multitude of warning lights that illuminate when the ignition is turned on, I think I said a cacaphony of colours previously.

A further point, I did not like the new corporate Audi styling when it was first launched though it has grown on me, the A6 is kind of attractively imposing, or imposingly attractive, though I still think the pre 2005 A4 was a better looking car than the new one, particularly the saloon from the rear, also a 1998 R plate "new" A6 still looks remarkably fresh in comparison to the new ones, again particularly from the rear. The rear light, boot lid and bumper blend on the 1997 on A6 and 2001 on A4 was particularly successful IMO.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - y2k+4
I think there must be something wrong with me, but I prefer the interior of my Mum's Mondeo to that of the old and new Passat...

Surprisingly, however, I preferred the Skoda Octavia's to all.
It's your opinion, nothing wrong, though how much driving have you done in the Mondeo and Passats.
I agree with your opinion on the Octavia.
I?m even more confused now. I make a pertinent comment on my experience with the Mondeo's cabin and in return we get your irrelevant opinion of Audi?s corporate styling and how the warning lights on the new A6 light up like a Christmas tree when you turn the ignition and how you find this distracting.

Just for the record, when I turn on the ignition the car runs a system check and I get check lights for the alternator, brake system and airbag in red (serious malfunction) and the glow plug, ESP and ABS in yellow(non-serious malfunction). The warning lights are the size of your little fingernail and, assuming all is well, are lit for maybe one second. So we get several small red or yellow lights for about a second; not much of a Christmas Tree I would suggest. I?m unclear if you would prefer no check, or check but no indication of the check, or check but all check and warning lights to be the same colour as the backlit dials? I don?t know about you, but I like my warning lights to be distracting.

And furthermore, even if the OP wanted opinions on the A6, what on earth do the warning/check lights have to do with quality or ambiance of the cabin?
I?m even more confused now. I make a pertinent comment on
my experience with the Mondeo's cabin and in return we get
your irrelevant opinion of Audi?s corporate styling and how the warning lights on the new A6 light up like a Christmas tree
when you turn the ignition and how you find this distracting.

I guess thats the way things go, I made a slightly light hearted comment "the Mondeo does not light up like a Christmas tree when you turn the ignition on, none of the mix bright red, blue and orange lighting that afflicts most VWs and Audis these days, instead a nice subtle and adjustable green back light." which led us on to discuss other models.
And furthermore, even if the OP wanted opinions on the A6,
what on earth do the warning/check lights have to do with
quality or ambiance of the cabin?

It is not just the warning/check lights that I was referring to and it started as a general point re recent VAG cars which would therefore encompass the relevant Passat.

Mondeo or Passat diesels - mrmender
Have not driven latest passat BUT would imagine as a long term buy the passat would be the winner
Mondeo or Passat diesels - DavidHM
Have not driven latest passat

From the trim level mentioned by the OP, this isn't the latest Passat. If it were I suspect things would go the other way for me and several other posters.
From the trim level mentioned by the OP, this isn't the
latest Passat. If it were I suspect things would go
the other way for me and several other posters.

Perhaps though the comparison is with a top of the range Mondeo with the superb and stonking 2.2 diesel engine, it would have to be a well equipped Passat to compete and I suspect that for some the extra performance and (subjectively, I know) engine refinement would swing it the Mondeo's way. For me it would be a tough call, I admire the new Passat and it is a new model that will be current for a few years still, though from experience I am not so impressed by the 2.0 TDi engine.

However back to the OP, IMO the Mondeo is simply a vastly superior car to the previous Passat and the Mondeo in question is a nice one so no brainer.
?I am not only talking about the dash illumination though also the multitude of warning lights that illuminate when the ignition is turned on, I think I said a cacaphony of colours?

?It is not just the warning/check lights that I was referring to??

So it?s the backlight and check lights? I repeat the backlight is red and check lights, red and yellow?.so that?s a cacophony of??.two colours. And you still haven?t explained what the check lights have to do with the cabin ambiance. I can?t remember, are the warning lights on a Mondeo really all green, the same colour as the backlight?

?and it started as a general point re recent VAG cars which would therefore encompass the relevant Passat?

I think that you?re now confirming how little time you?ve actually spent in VAG cars with is statement as the dashboard lighting varies enormously across the brands and as such your ?general point? is irrelevant and meaningless. In a similar vein, last time we discussed the 2.0tdi it became obvious that you had never experienced it in the new Passat. Have you had a drive since?

Ultimately, what?s important is that your comparison, light-hearted or not, has no basis in fact and thus no relevance to the thread.

To reality check the thread, the Mondeo is indeed superior in certain areas and inferior in others, but the handling and this more powerful engine swings it for the Mondeo.

Mondeo or Passat diesels - caesar
Passat evertime.
Used to own a mondeo.
Same problems as always with ford(suspension made out of paper mache).
Stupid me i have bought a focus estate(dog car)and problems are back.You can trust fords to break parts and empty your wallet?
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Adam {P}
I'm not one to defend to the death my car but you're unlucky Caesar me old chum. We've had the same Focus in the family since 2000 and it hasn't had a single suspension component replaced. Come to think of it, the only none servicable item it's had has been a coil pack at 70k.

I'm not aware of any inherent suspension problems with the Mondeo either. (Excluding the post about it in Technical Matters right now!)
So apparently Adam, if someone has mechanical problems with their Ford they're just unlucky, but someone else has mechanical problems with their Passat, then the conclusion is that Passats and indeed all VWs are unreliable. Isn't this indicative of how farcical things have got?

Since the new shape Passat was introduced in the late 90s I've lost count of the number of Golfs, Focus, Passats and Mondeos that have passed through our offices as we are talking about several hundred vehicles, private company and opted-out. People like to air car grievances and as I?m interested in cars I?m keen to listen. With a few notable exceptions with both marques, it appears that the cars have generally performed as expected and been generally reliable. Both VW and Ford cars have had minor gremlins and glitches, there have been problems with rubbish dealers but it varies geographically and there seems to be no trend and many have been happy to stick with VW. According to our fleet manager, with the exception of Alfa/Fiat, which have been removed from our list, Renault and oddly enough MPVs of all brands, the major brands are all much of a muchness when it comes to reliability. Some surveys say that VW is the more reliable and some say Ford and within that it varies year to year. The bottom line is that while individuals may be unlucky with a Ford or VAG vehicle, they?re all pretty good in most areas, excel in a few and stink in a few; which is good because we don?t all value the same thing and it makes the market more interesting. This constant mantra about the infallibility and vast superiority of Ford over just about anything else, but especially VAG, just isn?t borne out by fact. The repition of it is just tedious and sad IMO smacks of some sort of insecurity.
I do not think anyone suggested Ford's were superior to VAG or any other marque in this thread. For the most part people have expressed a view that the current Mondeo (soon to be replaced) is perhaps better than the old Passat. But one must remember the Passat was well ahead of it's time when it came out and lasted as a model longer than most which is proof of how popular it has been.

In terms of saying if Ford or VW are better built. My brother once had a VW Sharan followed by a Ford Galaxy. The Galaxy was not as well put together as the Sharan, yet they came off the same production line. Conclusion must be quality control was different for the various flavours of the same vehicle. And the Ford derivative was not as reliable. But this time they were the same car from the same production line.
Although you may not beleive it Martin I am truly open minded when it come to cars, if I was going to spend between 15 and 30 grand of mine or someone else's money on a car today I would consider virtually all marques, I only sing the Mondeo's praises because I have done 105000 satisfying miles in one and have had fairly good customer service from Ford and Ford dealers. I quite enjoyed two of the three Vauxhalls I had previously though the dealers were simply carp.

It is fairly clear from numerous press reports and consumer surveys that VW/Audis previously excellent reputation for quality and customer service has slipped somewhat where as Ford's reputation in both these respects has been on the rise for a few years now and is still on the up. Although there are exceptions and localised experiences may be to the contrary I really dont see much point in arguing against this fact. This does not make a VW or Audi a bad car, though it does introduce factors that it would be wise for any prospective buyer to consider.

One other point, expectations come into play here, because of Ford's good reputation today their customers have fairly high expectations and Ford are in general managing to meet or exceed these expectations and therefore maintain and growing their reputation. A factor in the demise of VWs reputation was that customers expectations had risen to such an extent that it would have been virtually impossible for VW to meet them yet alone exceed them, this supported by the fact that Seats and Skodas use similar componentary and have comparable build quality though engender a somewhat lower expectation in the mind of the customer hence they are generally achieving better results than VW in the satisfaction surveys.
Forgive me Martin, but I'm almost certain that not once on this forum have I called VW's unreliable. I like the look of the "old" Passat even now. I loved VW's of old such as the Corrado and I'd have a VR6 in a shot. It's just the interiors that I find woefully boring. Truly awful. One can't deny the frequency of dodgy VW's though - on this thread alone loads of people have piped up.

I'm not trying to say Fords are the best thing ever. I have one which has been almost faultless. It drives like the day we got it, it's never let me down and I love it. That doesn't mean I'll only buy Fords ever because of this. In fact, I'd be very surprised if my next car was a Ford. I'm sure that if I'd had a Golf or Passat that had no faults I'd be singing it's praises equally and I'm willing to concede that maybe I (and Dad before me) has been extra lucky in terms of the car.

The fact is though, the Mondeo (I can't believe I'm saying this) is twice the car the Passat is. I love the new one and I even probably prefer the previous shape Passat in terms of exterior looks but I would never, ever buy one.

My opinion of course albeit probably insecure, uniformed and wholly incorrect but there you go. I'm young and stupid.
And yes - I'm fully aware I've spelt "uninformed" wrong.
"on this thread alone loads of people have piped up." - Eh? I count 2 people complaining about unreliable VWs, one person complaining about two Fords that he's had and one person stating that a Ford Galaxy wasn't as well put together as a VW Sharan. Top Gear's customer satisfaction survey puts VW at 21st, and Ford at 25th. Audi is at 13. Our fleet manager states that in his experience VW and Ford reliability is on a par. I don't think that you have been especially lucky with your car, rather that serious reliability complaints from owners of most cars nowadays be it VAG, Ford, GM, PSA etc. are the exception and not the rule and those whose expectations where highest shout the loudest.

Adam nowadays there is no massive difference in any respect between cars in the same mainstream class, be it executive, supermini, family saloons etc. Such homogeneity is good in that one is unlikely to be lumbered with a dog but bad in that the ownership and driving experience is fairly similar across the class. To assert as fact that the Mondeo, Vectra, Passat, 407, Accord, Octavia or whatever as being vastly inferior, superior, twice, thrice or ten times the car as it's competitors would be fatuous and unlikely to be based on any real experience of all the cars in question. I've notched up a fair mileage in them all and whilst I have my favourites, in truth they are each better or worse in various respects and to a moderate degree. The OP will undoubtedly be as happy in his Mondeo, if indeed not marginally happier than he would have been in the Passat.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Malcolm_L
Passat everytime? There are several threads on this forum regarding suspect quality on previous model Passats.

For the record: 2001 Passat 130TDI estate which I ran for 3 years.

Tailgate lock was faulty and was missed in PDI - replaced 2nd week.
Climate control unit failed at 27k and replaced - 2 days in garage.
Top links on front suspension failed at 49k
Turbo failed at 51k
Pollen filter housing seal failed after service - front passenger footwell had 50mm of water in it!
Catalytic convertor baffles detached at 53k - cat replaced
Undershield replaced twice before I ran the car without it.

I was fortunate as all these were replaced under warranty, in the case of the top links not without a struggle. Despite taking the service manager out, he was unable to hear the clonks every time the car hit a minor bump, eventually got them replaced after circumventing that dealer.

Mondeo or Passat diesels - MichaelR
Suprised at comments about the Passat interior being better than that in the facelift Mondeo.

Although well built I found the dash layout in the Passat very dated - it was barely better than that in my Mk2 Mondeo, let alone a Mk3 Mondeo.

Not sure I could spend 13 grand on a Mondeo though before checking out the 02/03 plate 330d and 530d's available for this money.
Mondeo or Passat diesels - Gromit {P}
Returning to zarqon's original question: doing 40k miles p.a. so I want reliabilty and comfort and need to buy this weekend.

In your position, I'd rather cover 40k in a Passat as, in contrast to the Mondeo its set up for comfort before agility. Trusting you'll want to sell before the mileage is high enough for reliability to become a concern, you're more likely to find a buyer for a Passat given the image they enjoy.

For what its worth, I can't see either car giving much cause for concern with reliability. A long-time Backroomer, Dave Taxi Driver, is currently running a Passat diesel for a contract on which he expects to cover 200,000 miles a year. Equally, many, many fleets - and Backroomers - run Mondeos, and must be content with them if they keep buying them.

Whatever you choose, happy motoring!
- Gromit

Just a quick line to let you know that I picked up the Mondeo yesterday - 9.5k miles - magnum grey 2.2 TDCi Ghia X. So far it's excellent.

The bg commute start next week - thanks for the input.

MPZ