Garage Honesty - type's'
Now there's 2 words you don't always see go together.
I am about to book my car in for an interim oil change & was just wondering - as I have no experience or evidence of this - but - If I book my car in for this work and ask for fully synthetic oil - how do I really know they have used synthetic and not just cheaper mineral and charged me for synthetic.
Unfortunately I do not have a good relationship with a garage that I can trust - having said that the garages I do use have never given me cause not to trust them - but how do I really know ??????
Garage Honesty - Aprilia
You either:
a. Watch the fitter put the oil in the engine and note the container its coming out of.
b. Send your oil off for analysis.
c. Hope they're honest!
Garage Honesty - bell boy
or do it yourself
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Garage Honesty - machika
It happened to me once at a Citroen dealer when our C5 was serviced their. The invoice listed the oil as Castrol Magnetec semi-synthetic. The car should have fully synthetic oil, so I queried this and they insisted that they really had used Total Quartz fully synthetic, but that their invoicing system was programmed only to list Castro Magnetec. Would you have believed that tale?
Garage Honesty - smokie
"Castro Magnetec. Would you have believed that tale?"

Nah, I reckon they were on the Fidel...
Garage Honesty - bell boy
havana nuther go
Garage Honesty - Lud
YEEE HAW haw haw haw, terrific guys and I really mean it.
Garage Honesty - Hamsafar
I think fully synthetic smells better than mineral or slightly-synthetic. I gues you would have to smell some to 'learn' the difference, but mineral is a crude oily acrid smell, whereas synthetic is a cleaner chemically smell.
Garage Honesty - Lud
But the really evocative pong is burning Castrol R, which I believe is or was castor oil pretty well. Perhaps someone can tell us.

Must have been the best polymer before the days of clever hellbrews. Smells like a... race or hillclimb circuit is the only way of putting it. Guhguhguhguhhhhh... as Homer Simpson wd say.
Garage Honesty - L'escargot
........ having said that the garages I
do use have never given me cause not to trust them
- but how do I really know ??????

Garage employees are just ordinary people, just like doctors, solicitors, etc. There's no reason to think that they will be any less honest.
--
L\'escargot.
Garage Honesty - Chris S
Garage employees are just ordinary people, just like doctors, solicitors, etc.
There's no reason to think that they will be any less
honest.

That's the problem - a few years ago a Sunday Times survey found that 1 in 4 people would murder a complete stranger for a million quid if they knew they could get away with it!

I think at least 1 in 4 garages would use cheap oil then invoice for the expensive stuff.