Loss of Power VW Passat 1.9TDi - summerflame
I have had a VW Passat 1.9 TDi for about 6 weeks - started losing power when trying to accelerate. Even dropping down the gears does not help, just gets slower and slower almost grinding to a halt. Fitted new air temp valve and cleaned filter and ran OK for 6 days then started again. Noticed it is due a service anytime, do you think this could be the problem or something more drastic? Thanks.
Loss of Power VW Passat 1.9TDi - Quinny100
Sounds like it could be the MAF sensor - these have a habit of going on VAG TDi's. Replacement is the only long term fix.
Had a MAF sensor fitted as I thought this was the problem. Still doing the same.
Loss of Power VW Passat 1.9TDi - George Porge
forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75959

Might be of help. Year and engine code ( or bhp) etc would also help, they've been making the passat tdi for over 10 years.
The year is 1994.
Loss of Power VW Passat 1.9TDi - George Porge
Have a good read of the link above then. Good luck
OK I will try those. Thanks for the help much appreciated.
Loss of Power VW Passat 1.9TDi - adverse camber
Not sure about the passat, but on the Audi (same engine) they changed the maf design in 1997/8. The early ones (pierburg?) are far more reliable than the later (bosch) ones. It's the bosch ones that people are usually talking about when they suggest maf failure for this problem. the tdi link above is a good one.