Mk3 golf GTI 96 - ABS light - stef1244
Hi:
I have just changed the switch that lights up when the ignition is on, indicating that the air bag and ABS are ok. The problem I now have is that the ABS light stays on. It would appear that the previous owner took the bulb out!! for this very reason. Does anyone why this light would stay on all of the time. Since I have had the car, which is not long, the red warning light which indicates that the hand brake is applied is also on all of the time, although I have had new pads and dics fitted. Does anyone know if these are conected??

Many Thanks
Stef
Mk3 golf GTI 96 - ABS light - Peter D
This could be corrosion around the reluctance rings and one has come loose and spinning or a faulty sensor The fault code should identify this, any decent indi can read this car. Regards Peter
Mk3 golf GTI 96 - ABS light - Screwloose
Stef

Hope that you didn't buy that new clip-in ABS bulb unit from the dealers - they're around £85! [Ditching the bulb's a very expensive - but common - bodge on these!]

If the handbrake warning light is staying on, it might be worth first confirming that the brake fluid level is correct. Those two circuits [handbrake lever position and fluid level] are directly connected to the ABS's ECU through the instrument pod; but if the fluid's OK, a code-reading is indeed your next step.

Although ECU's, pump-motors and pedal switches also fail; in a high percentage of cases of GTi's around '96, the usual problem is one [or both] of the front wheel speed sensors has rusted and failed.

If the code-read indicates that it is faulty wheel sensor[s]; fortunately [unlike the bulb] they're quite reasonably priced - only around £40 each from VW. The old ones will likely be solidly rusted-in and will have to be destroyed to remove them; so get new fixings too.

Mk3 golf GTI 96 - ABS light - stef1244
Thanks for that lads. I will give it a go!! I got the swith off e-bay for £17 'thank God' I would not fancy paying £85!

Thanks again.
Stef
Mk3 golf GTI 96 - ABS light - drsparks79
did you have any luck with this problem as i have exactly the same thing on my 94 vr6. cheers darren.